Does it matter if i get fired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bismillah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an accepted student to a med school, working a job that isn't listed on my amcas.

my job has a hellish commute to and from and my boss is pissed about my attendance record - i show up late a lot due to traffic/long commute.

My parents told me if i don't keep this job, it's a sign i won't be able to handle the rigors of medical school.
Am i the only one who thinks this is outright crazy?

I don't give a single **** about this job and I care way more about my future medical career than anything else.

I truly don't see how this impacts my future one bit and i think my parents are crazy.
Thoughts?

Many of my future medical school colleagues are traveling and some are relaxing...
Why should I waste my last 4 months of freedom doing something I don't like which has zero bearing on my future career?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I think they have a point, in that at one point you committed to this job. While not directly related to medicine, the fact that you are too apathetic to show up on time isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for you. (Plenty of people have to deal with traffic and a long commute. They leave earlier.) Your attitude also makes me a little concerned about how much effort you'll put into things that don't fit exactly in to your perceived career plans at the time. Are you going to suck it up on clerkship A because you're planning on doing specialty B?

Now, that's a lot of extrapolation. And at the end of the day this particular job probably doesn't matter a lot for you. But I can definitely understand your parents' point of view, even though I wouldn't go so far as to say you won't be able to handle medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like something I would think, but seeing it from an outside perspective makes me feel differently.

First off, you should quit instead of being fired. Don't burn bridges if you can prevent it.

Second, do you need to work in order to pay for your living expenses/ help out your family? Just think about that. It seems very selfish of you to want to relax instead of helping to mitigate your financial burden.

I don't think this will impact your future, but you should try to handle the situation appropriately for your own sake. Also, try not to compare yourself to your peers. Easier said than done, but we all have different circumstances that aren't always known.

You may not give a crap, but that's not justification to: 1) make things harder for people at your company, and 2) milk them for money while pissing them off.

They probably don't want to fire you (in my company, it's a pain), so you're just an aggravation.

I'd either give enough of a crap to show up on time, or quit. Why get fired?

Reactions: 1 user
Also:

@Bismillah, they will let you go (LET YOU GOOOOOOOOOOO)

I so thought this. Lol

But yeah, even if you don't care that much about this job, professionalism is important. I would try and earn the boss's respect back, rather than just settle for getting fired. When you apply for jobs, they generally ask for your work experience, and they often ask what the circumstances of your departure were. You wouldn't want to have an incident of being fired when that happens.

no one will know about the job. quit and enjoy your last free time for a long time

Either stay employed and do well there -- meaning be professional and show up on time. Tardiness and a bad attitude are highly unprofessional, even if your job is just flipping burgers.

Or give your notice and do something else.

But to keep you job and do it half-@ssed is the worst of all possible options.

Reactions: 2 users
First off, you should quit instead of being fired. Don't burn bridges if you can prevent it.

Never quit. If you quit, you don't get unemployment. Talk about burning bridges. You're literally burning your own money if you do this...

Assuming you aren't doing anything extremely illegal, you're much, much better off letting them fire you than you are quitting on your terms.

How long have you worked at this particular job? If it's been more than a few months, it would be good to talk to your boss and function from this point out as being reliable, etc. If it has been a matter of a few mo.s or less, talk to your boss, and respectfully state that the commute has caused scheduling conflicts, and that you would like to tender your resignation--I mean if you don't want to keep working. It's fairly simple really. Will it negatively affect medical school/career, well who knows? You'd be surprised how things can follow you, and then other times, they don't. So, who is to say? Do what you want and can afford to do, but just do it right. Fair?

P.S. Having worked in healthcare for a long time, I will tell you that for the most part, it's not an area that tolerates lateness--even by a few minutes in many places. The more acute/critical the area, the more you are put under a microscope--pretty much constantly. It's an anal-retentive field of study and work, and people are often looking for reasons to put a strike out against you. This is the added, unspoken part of healthcare that people don't always share with those that don't know how it rolls. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, it's pretty tight in this regard.

Last edited:
You do realize that if he's fired for cause (e.g. - multiple episodes of showing up late) he won't qualify for unemployment anyway?

Only if he's stealing from the company or committing some other major crime. This probably varies from place to place, now that I think about it.

And showing up late is pretty much the same thing as quitting. If you have a no call, no show, that is interpreted as quitting.

Only if he's stealing from the company or committing some other major crime. This probably varies from place to place, now that I think about it.

And showing up late is pretty much the same thing as quitting. If you have a no call, no show, that is interpreted as quitting.

Not to get all "do unto others..." but seriously? If this is how people treat their managers/bosses/administrators, it's no wonder they can be such hard-asses.

And really, it's a hard-ass line of work; I mean this is pretty consistent. Get ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see your avatar is GSW, if you are doing a Bay Area commute I pity you. I work in another but equally bad part of the country and my commute makes me want to kill myself. But I've already worked my job for 4 years so Im gonna stick it out a couple more months. I say screw all that sticking it out stuff, your about to go back to school for quite a while. Pull the plug and go have some fun.

FTR I would never quit and just leave the ppl at my company out to dry

I just feel that suffering this misery is pointless.

I would rather facilitate my resignation and fully cooperate with my company than anything else.

I think my parents are emphasizing the value of tenacity/pushing through/doing stuff even if you don't like it... trying to get me to learn that lesson or some variation by keeping this job

Last edited:
One word: quit
There will be PLENTY of time to work hard and be miserable in the upcoming years. If you don't absolutely need the money, then I would just leave. Your work ethic is obviously good if you made it into medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Just put it on your two weeks and quit being a dork.

Literally the second I was officially hired as a scribe I contacted my manager and told him he's got two weeks to find something new. Here's a pretty good outline.

"Hello, boss, I am contacting to inform you that I will be resigning from Z company (putting in two weeks). I have been accepted to medical school, and I would like the next few months to enjoy myself and get my things in order. I am very grateful for having been employed here, and I hope these next two weeks will be very productive. The last day I can work is May 7th (whatever, you get the point). We can discuss this in more detail in person. Have a great day and thank you again,

OP"

Those last two weeks were awesome and most people who employ for minimum wage are happy to get a notice of any kind. Quit being a panzy and let em' know you're done. Trust me, if this isn't a really legit company it won't be pleasant getting your final paycheck(s) and W-2.

My 2 cents

Not to get all "do unto others..." but seriously? If this is how people treat their managers/bosses/administrators, it's no wonder they can be such hard-asses.

My advice is to treat them well

Just put it on your two weeks and quit being a dork.

Literally the second I was officially hired as a scribe I contacted my manager and told him he's got two weeks to find something new. Here's a pretty good outline.

"Hello, boss, I am contacting to inform you that I will be resigning from Z company (putting in two weeks). I have been accepted to medical school, and I would like the next few months to enjoy myself and get my things in order. I am very grateful for having been employed here, and I hope these next two weeks will be very productive. The last day I can work is May 7th (whatever, you get the point). We can discuss this in more detail in person. Have a great day and thank you again,

OP"

Those last two weeks were awesome and most people who employ for minimum wage are happy to get a notice of any kind. Quit being a panzy and let em' know you're done. Trust me, if this isn't a really legit company it won't be pleasant getting your final paycheck(s) and W-2.

My 2 cents
Wait, they still gave you two weeks of work? I'm honestly surprised they didn't let you go right there.

Wait, they still gave you two weeks of work? I'm honestly surprised they didn't let you go right there.
Right? Luckily my manager was a human being capable of empathy. Either way I didn't burn a bridge and I can sleep at night. I would feel bad for quitting on the spot with my past employer.

However, when I worked at McDonald's in high school I was treated like absolute dogsh** and one day I never showed again.

Never quit. If you quit, you don't get unemployment. Talk about burning bridges. You're literally burning your own money if you do this...

Assuming you aren't doing anything extremely illegal, you're much, much better off letting them fire you than you are quitting on your terms.

How is being fired better than properly quitting?

If he hasn't been working there long, he just needs to explain that the job is not a good fit for him, ask how long it will take for them to find someone to replace him, and wait until that is over.

Okay, this has clearly been resolved

No one will know. Just quit and have fun don't stress yourself out