Does it matter in what college you go to?

who109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is forcing me to go to Lane Community College because I have family there. I read reviews online and it's not that great. He says I should take my 4 years of pre-med there then I could go to anywhere I want to. So when I apply to Universities, do they care where I earned my bachelors? or it just depends on my grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Although it's not impossible to get into medical school by doing community college (Hopkins recently decided to accept it.. So yay) your best option is probably going directly to a 4 year university. Don't take your prereqs at a CC, as it may be seen as "easier" and not be taken seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Although it's not impossible to get into medical school by doing community college (Hopkins recently decided to accept it.. So yay) your best option is probably going directly to a 4 year university. Don't take your prereqs at a CC, as it may be seen as "easier" and not be taken seriously.
But isn't it required that I have a bachelors degree and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is he forcing you to go? You should explain to him that it would be better if you went to a 4 year college.
Wait community college is only 2 years? I'm not american so this is all new to me.

If you can, go to a four-year university. If you absolutely can't, then do the two years.

There are some people (including some pre-meds/med students) that started out at community college and then transferred. I don't see how anyone can force you to go anywhere, though. Don't go to CC unless you want to, or, you need to. You earn your Bachelors at a four year university. It doesn't really matter where you obtain a degree. Your grades, MCAT, EC's, etc. matter more. CC is only two years, and you take the MCAT while you are in college. Go straight to a university if that is what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some people (including some pre-meds/med students) that started out at community college and then transferred. I don't see how anyone can force you to go anywhere, though. Don't go to CC unless you want to, or, you need to. You earn your Bachelors at a four year university. It doesn't really matter where you obtain a degree. Your grades, MCAT, EC's, etc. matter more. CC is only two years, and you take the MCAT while you are in college. Go straight to a university if that is what you want.
I'm not a US citizen, so most colleges are $30,000 or more. So my father wants me to go to that community college because it is $10,000. Can I find a good college that only costs $10,000?

I'm not a US citizen, so most colleges are $30,000 or more. So my father wants me to go to that community college because it is $10,000. Can I find a good college that only costs $10,000?

There are many universities here (in the U.S) that are well over $30,000. To answer your other question, no it's unlikely. It's extremely expensive.

Sent using Tapatalk

Unless your state has a highly subsidized state university system, there is no way you are going to find a 4 year university for 10,000/yr (I assume you mean yearly tuition). If you have the smarts to get into med school, it doesn't matter so much how you get there or how much it costs. Aspiring doctors are in school for a very long time, a great deal of your youth. I would make sure that you spend that time at a place that will be most enjoyable and lifegiving to you.

Go to a place that the best balance between price and somewhere you'll enjoy. The only thing I regret about my UG is that there isn't much to do on campus.

I have a friend that took many of her pre-reqs at a community college (did the first two years there) and she got into med school just fine. Given your situation, I think that may be a good place to take many of your first classes. Just make sure that you take upper level science classes when you get to university to prove yourself and keep in mind that she took community college seriously (A or A-) in all of her classes. Your MCAT score will prove that you know the material hands down if you do well on it. Make sure that you take ownership of the material wherever you go and you will be fine.