Does it matter when we interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter when we interview? I know for med school its always better to interview early since acceptances are sent out based on interview dates. But since residency is all 1 match day... does it matter if we interview in October vs January. Just wondering, having a hard time choosing my dates.. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter when we interview? I know for med school its always better to interview early since acceptances are sent out based on interview dates. But since residency is all 1 match day... does it matter if we interview in October vs January. Just wondering, having a hard time choosing my dates.. Thanks

There has been some conflicting research on this.

I'd schedule the dates based on what works for your schedule and not worry about it.

Anecdotally the past couple of years - the top of our rank list was about evenly distributed between early and late interview days, but our actual match list was slanted toward early days. Don't know what to make of that - maybe that students who interview at a program early tend to be more impressed whereas later in the season they are burnt out and less likely to be impressed? Or maybe it's all just coincidence and too small a sample size to draw a reliable conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I definitely scheduled interviews that I was considering canceling late in the season. My first batch of interviews went very well so I felt comfortable canceling many of the later ones.

I would think that it might be good to interview early and be first in the minds of the PD but the same could be said for still being fresh in the PDs mind on rank list day.

Assessment: probably doesn't matter, schedule however is convenient for you. If you think you might cancel it though schedule late.

I imagine they probably give everyone a score/evaluation of some sort after interview, or theres no way they'll remember the early guys come rank day.

My research supervisor said that generally people who are interviewed later on are the ones attendings remember most and are discussed most for that reason. That said, he did say that in the end it goes down to the paper applications and anything else glaring that was noted during the interview. This was for cardiology fellowship.

I'm scheduling interviews in the middle of the season at which point I will have done some more work and have more to talk about during interviews. I doubt it matters but I am presenting a poster and hopefully will have another publication by interview time, always a plus.

There has been some conflicting research on this.

I'd schedule the dates based on what works for your schedule and not worry about it.

Anecdotally the past couple of years - the top of our rank list was about evenly distributed between early and late interview days, but our actual match list was slanted toward early days. Don't know what to make of that - maybe that students who interview at a program early tend to be more impressed whereas later in the season they are burnt out and less likely to be impressed? Or maybe it's all just coincidence and too small a sample size to draw a reliable conclusion.
Totally agree with this. Most programs keep running lists of interviewees and even maybe a prelim rank list as the season goes on. It's typically not 1,2,3,..., more like "top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc". The seasonal timing issue is probably going to be more related to the applicant and how you're functioning at any given point in the season than program related factors. The first 2 or 3 interviews can be kind of a stressful experience but you get used to it. If you get to interview 15 or 16, you may no longer be giving a s*** and just want to go home.

Totally agree with this. Most programs keep running lists of interviewees and even maybe a prelim rank list as the season goes on. It's typically not 1,2,3,..., more like "top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc". The seasonal timing issue is probably going to be more related to the applicant and how you're functioning at any given point in the season than program related factors. The first 2 or 3 interviews can be kind of a stressful experience but you get used to it. If you get to interview 15 or 16, you may no longer be giving a s*** and just want to go home.

We keep a running list as the year goes.

But after the last interview day we sit down in a formal meeting to review the whole list and make changes. There is a lot of movement in that final meeting - a shining star in November may not look so incredible once we've met the rest of the interviewees.

We keep a running list as the year goes.

But after the last interview day we sit down in a formal meeting to review the whole list and make changes. There is a lot of movement in that final meeting - a shining star in November may not look so incredible once we've met the rest of the interviewees.
Exactly how we did it in residency and fellowship. Rolling list with a lot of movement at the final meeting.

But that November shining star is the same applicant no matter when the interview happens. S/he will wind up in roughly the same spot at the end regardless of the timing of the interview.

Exactly how we did it in residency and fellowship. Rolling list with a lot of movement at the final meeting.

But that November shining star is the same applicant no matter when the interview happens. S/he will wind up in roughly the same spot at the end regardless of the timing of the interview.

My point was sometimes a candidate seems great at the first interview - after the first day they may even be #1 on the rank list, but once you have a little more perspective having interviewed 50 more applicants their "true" place on the rank list might be significantly lower.

My point was sometimes a candidate seems great at the first interview - after the first day they may even be #1 on the rank list, but once you have a little more perspective having interviewed 50 more applicants their "true" place on the rank list might be significantly lower.
I got that, and completely agree. I was pretty much saying the same thing and pointing out that applicants will reach equilibrium on a rank list regardless of their interview timing.

The same is true for programs I think. I absolutely loved my first interview location. Ranked in 12th.