Does it matter where you go to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter? I'm not talking about if one school is better than another. I was wondering more on practicing after dental school. Do dentists usually practice in the area where they went to school? Is it easier practicing there?

How bad is it for someone that wants to relocate somewhere far? What about passing the requirements of other states? Is that all a big hassle?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorSaab said:
Does it really matter? I'm not talking about if one school is better than another. I was wondering more on practicing after dental school. Do dentists usually practice in the area where they went to school? Is it easier practicing there?

How bad is it for someone that wants to relocate somewhere far? What about passing the requirements of other states? Is that all a big hassle?

depends on the state....It is well known that Cali and Florida boards are the hardest so if you wanted to practice in those states, it would probably be best to goto a school within those states, because they teach according to their state licensing boards...

As for the Western or Northeastern boards, from my perception, they are pretty much straightforward, and any dental graduate would have no problems passing either...

In regards to the regional boards, I have been told by many dentists that the Central and Western boards are so similar that for many states if you pass one you pass the other by proxy. The same holds true for the North East Regional board (for example, Utah recognizes all four). Each regional boards covers several states and that leaves a wide range of choices as where you want to practice and only take one board.

Those states that have chosen to conduct their own, independent testing are: Alabama, California, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

If you would like a list of the states participating in each board, then visit:
http://www.adha.org/careerinfo/exam_boards.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, that was very helpful. Thanks.

Sprgrover said:
In regards to the regional boards, I have been told by many dentists that the Central and Western boards are so similar that for many states if you pass one you pass the other by proxy. The same holds true for the North East Regional boards (for example, Utah recognizes all four). Each regional boards covers several states and that leaves a wide range of choices as where you want to practice and only take one board.

Those states that have chosen to conduct their own, independent testing are: Alabama, California, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

If you would like a list of the states participating in each board, then visit:
http://www.adha.org/careerinfo/exam_boards.htm

Damn...Great post...is that link in the faqs?