Does it matter which classes you get bad grades in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arj234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. My cgpa senior year is approximately 3.7 and my sgpa is 3.6.
I completed my pre reqs within the first two years, with a C,D,F, 2 B's, and 3A's in the lecture courses . For labs, I got A's in all the labs except a B in Orgo 2 lab. I retook the D and the F, and got an A in those classes the second time around.
I got A's in some upper level science courses including cell bio and biochemistry.

My MCAT is pretty good (37)

Does my MCAT score help offset my poor pre req performance? I mean my overall gpa is really not that bad, and I did good in some upper level courses, but I hear that pre req grades matter most. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So a couple things. Yes a 37 isn't that bad, but it would have been nice if you could have edged out that last 0.01% of test takers [note my sarcastic tone]. Overall your GPA (s and c) are good for MD schools. You are right that prereqs are very important and the fact that you retook the D and F and got As is very good. Lastly, how is your overall trend in GPA? Is it all over the map or were the Fs and Ds very early in your UG career?

Ultimately though, this all looks like you will be in very good shape stats wise. This should not be what holds you up in your application cycle (though be sure to explain your moments of poor academic effort during your UG career and how you have learned/grown from it).

Reactions: 3 users
So a couple things. Yes a 37 isn't that bad, but it would have been nice if you could have edged out that last 0.01% of test takers [note my sarcastic tone]. Overall your GPA (s and c) are good for MD schools. You are right that prereqs are very important and the fact that you retook the D and F and got As is very good. Lastly, how is your overall trend in GPA? Is it all over the map or were the Fs and Ds very early in your UG career?

Ultimately though, this all looks like you will be in very good shape stats wise. This should not be what holds you up in your application cycle (though be sure to explain your moments of poor academic effort during your UG career and how you have learned/grown from it).
Thank you so much for your response!
I took all of my pre reqs within the first 2 yrs of college. The D and C's are from freshman year, and the F is from first semester sophomore year. I got the B in orgo lab second semester sophomore year. From there on out, I have received pretty much straight A's, so yes, there is an upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your response!
I took all of my pre reqs within the first 2 yrs of college. The D and C's are from freshman year, and the F is from first semester sophomore year. I got the B in orgo lab second semester sophomore year. From there on out, I have received pretty much straight A's, so yes, there is an upward trend.

Yep, ur good.

Reactions: 1 user
Mileage may vary, but my impression is that schools want you to have a B or better in the pre-reqs. retaking them and doing well shows that you can handle the material.

So quit fussing.

Hello. My cgpa senior year is approximately 3.7 and my sgpa is 3.6.
I completed my pre reqs within the first two years, with a C,D,F, 2 B's, and 3A's in the lecture courses . For labs, I got A's in all the labs except a B in Orgo 2 lab. I retook the D and the F, and got an A in those classes the second time around.
I got A's in some upper level science courses including cell bio and biochemistry.

My MCAT is pretty good (37)

Does my MCAT score help offset my poor pre req performance? I mean my overall gpa is really not that bad, and I did good in some upper level courses, but I hear that pre req grades matter most. Thoughts?

Are those GPAs with the D and F replaced? That's fine for DO but MD does not do grade replacement, you have to average in the D and F for MD.

And to answer your question, yes, it does matter. Science classes are scrutinized more heavily.

Reactions: 1 users
Mileage may vary, but my impression is that schools want you to have a B or better in the pre-reqs. retaking them and doing well shows that you can handle the material.

So quit fussing.

Why does it matter if he did better in science courses later on? A 3.6 is the average sGPA for accepted med students.

You're 10000% okay. You'll probably get a question or two about why your performance was poor before, but it will be out of curiosity more than anything.

You're 10000% okay. You'll probably get a question or two about why your performance was poor before, but it will be out of curiosity more than anything.

How would one respond without seemingly giving excuses?

"I was immature and didn't care about school but then got my **** together because I knew I had to get good grades for medical school."

Reactions: 4 users
Are those GPAs with the D and F replaced? That's fine for DO but MD does not do grade replacement, you have to average in the D and F for MD.

And to answer your question, yes, it does matter. Science classes are scrutinized more heavily.
The 3.7 and 3.6 are including the D,F,and C's.
For DO schools, my cGPA would be 3.83 and sgpa 3.76

Members don't see this ad :)
Rising trends indicate true potential. Not everyone is ready for college at age 18-19.

No, I agree. But why does it matter that he got below a B in his pre-reqs if his overall science gpa is still a 3.6?

Is it really necessarily to have above a B in prereqs if one gets As in later upper level bios.

I think you'll be fine. Science courses matter a little bit more than non-science because they're more directly indicative of performance in medical school, but you retook the bad ones and aced them, so I think you've proven you can handle it.

Because they're required?

Personally, I see no need for Physics as a pre-req. I'd much prefer Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology and Biochemisty.

No, I agree. But why does it matter that he got below a B in his pre-reqs if his overall science gpa is still a 3.6?

Is it really necessarily to have above a B in prereqs if one gets As in later upper level bios.

Reactions: 3 users

Personally, I see no need for Physics as a pre-req. I'd much prefer Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology and Biochemisty.

I'm asking because I did get a C in a pre-req but I retook it and got an A. Every other science course (including several upper level bios like that ones you mentioned and more) I have is above a B+ (mostly A/A-). And one B.

BUT I do still have a B- in one of my General Bios (General Bio 2). Do you think it will be red flag if I don't retake it? My overall sci GPA is a 3.67 I think. I would really prefer to not retake it and have my upper level bio coursework speak for my abilities to handle the rigors of medical school.

I think you'll be fine!!

I'm asking because I did get a C in a pre-req but I retook it and got an A. Every other science course (including several upper level bios like that ones you mentioned and more) I have is above a B+ (mostly A/A-). And one B.

BUT I do still have a B- in one of my General Bios (General Bio 2). Do you think it will be red flag if I don't retake it? My overall sci GPA is a 3.67 I think. I would really prefer to not retake it and have my upper level bio coursework speak for my abilities to handle the rigors of medical school.

So help me, if anyone retakes a B-, I'll reach through the electrons and smack them upside the head!
Most popular pre-med advisor at my school, "everyone knows med school adcoms want students to retake a B-." She is faculty at a UC med school by the way... how do these people get jobs?

From here on out, I declare you to be in charge of deciding all pre-reqs! (Really though, as a premed, this is something I have failed to understand. Having an AdCom say the same thing makes me very happy. Maybe this is a requirement that is coming to the end of its life-span, much like calculus!)

I hope so. Med schools are finally getting away from the Flexner-style curriculum that's ~100 years old, so if med school curricula can change, why not the pre-reqs?

From here on out, I declare you to be in charge of deciding all pre-reqs! (Really though, as a premed, this is something I have failed to understand. Having an AdCom say the same thing makes me very happy. Maybe this is a requirement that is coming to the end of its life-span, much like calculus!)