does it really matter where you go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent001

BAMF
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would like to start of by saying that i value quality of life heavily and beleive school attitude plays a big role in life perception.

i already sent in my apps for almost 20 schools this 2012 cycle (so far dropped $2k...), but i've just been accepted to a school i applied for 2011 cycle. i kinda dont know what to do, i had my heart set on reapplying, spending this next year cruising and possibly traveling. this is a local private school and i dont want to go to it cuz its like my last choice, i'd rather go to another school out of state that would cost the same. besides, my stats and other application materials are much better this time around compared to last cycle. i really want to go to UoP, if i reapply and get in there then i'd still finish by 2015.

heres a pro/con list

local school
pro
- get to start school this august and be done 4 years flat
- be close to family
con
- the clinical program is not as good as other schools i've seen.
- was not impressed at all on interview day
- i really dont want to go here unless i have to. i didnt even reapply here.

out of state schools
pro
- get to pick from a whole new variety of schools
- much better clinical education
- get to experience a new life and culture away from home
- pick the school that best fits my personaility
- get to stay at my current job and enjoy the off year.
- possibly UoP!!!

con
- have to go through the application process a whole other year. if i get 10 interview invites then that alone will cost me an extra $4k.
- although i am considered highly competitive, there are no gurantees i will get another acceptance.

should i take the offer and run or go with the reapplication i already sent in and hope to get into a school thats a better fit for me?

Members don't see this ad.

i would like to start of by saying that i value quality of life heavily and beleive school attitude plays a big role in life perception.

i already sent in my apps for almost 20 schools this 2012 cycle (so far dropped $2k...), but i've just been accepted to a school i applied for 2011 cycle. i kinda dont know what to do, i had my heart set on reapplying, spending this next year cruising and possibly traveling. this is a local private school and i dont want to go to it cuz its like my last choice, i'd rather go to another school out of state that would cost the same. besides, my stats and other application materials are much better this time around compared to last cycle. i really want to go to UoP, if i reapply and get in there then i'd still finish by 2015.

heres a pro/con list

local school
pro
- get to start school this august and be done 4 years flat
- be close to family
con
- the clinical program is not as good as other schools i've seen.
- was not impressed at all on interview day
- i really dont want to go here unless i have to. i didnt even reapply here.

out of state schools
pro
- get to pick from a whole new variety of schools
- much better clinical education
- get to experience a new life and culture away from home
- pick the school that best fits my personaility
- get to stay at my current job and enjoy the off year.
- possibly UoP!!!

con
- have to go through the application process a whole other year. if i get 10 interview invites then that alone will cost me an extra $4k.
- although i am considered highly competitive, there are no gurantees i will get another acceptance.

should i take the offer and run or go with the reapplication i already sent in and hope to get into a school thats a better fit for me?

I recommend withdrawing and reapply. You haven't even started the program and if you already feel unhappy about it, then it's going to be 4 miserable years. I'm sure there are many candidates that wants your spot more than you do. Share the wealth.