Does LENSCRAFTERS pay well for new ODs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

But ya before I got on these threads, I didn't even realize there were private practices

Wow, so what school do you go to? They must have a terrible interview process.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, so what school do you go to? They must have a terrible interview process.

:laugh: exactly what I'm thinking. She sounds so out of it that I didn't even want to waste my time mocking her.

The Lenscrafters in my town isn't in a mall and had a very high volume of patients, im not sure what else to say, besides that my generation doesn't avoid malls...it's our habitat...maybe older folks go to their regular PP OD out of habit, but to save money, they may be considering other options, like dare I say, stepping into a mall.
Ya someday when I have money saved up, it would be nice to open up a modern practice in my town but I don't mind starting out in a corporate setting.

I hate malls. I'm 23.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure which is worse, the extremely sexist comment that women have to be near big cities or the ignorant assumption that malls are only for the younger generation...like they were just invented.
Either way, :bang:

She is just asking for it. First, saying how she didn't know PP existed in optometry before joining the forums and how her generation loves the malls. But, whatever I am just going to bite my tongue and keep quiet.

Not sure which is worse, the extremely sexist comment that women have to be near big cities:

Not as sexist as Dori Carlson when she came to SUNY and started talking about slow death of the white male solo practitioners. Why don't you ask the AOA immediate past president why she is so sexist. Because its IN to make fun of white males now. But how dare anyone make a politically incorrect comment about any other group of people.

In any case, I stated a statistical fact at least in my city which is the biggest city in the nation. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...omen-outnumber-men-FOUR-TO-ONE-parts-U-S.html

Here is a list of major US cities with their gender ratios. Notice, in almost all the big cities there are more women than men: http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t27/tables/tab05.pdf

If you must be completely politically correct during your life then when you have african american patients coming in or old white women coming in and you refuse to use their race and gender as a risk factor for glaucoma or macular degeneration respectively then you will have a very hard time practicing.

Last edited:
She is just asking for it. First, saying how she didn't know PP existed in optometry before joining the forums and how her generation loves the malls. But, whatever I am just going to bite my tongue and keep quiet.

So instead of not writing a post...you wrote a post about how you're not going to post? Wow thanks for your productive input. We can have a debate about whether Generation Y likes or doesn't like malls, but the point was that Optometry is going corporate, and I don't think I'm the only one on here that feels that way.

So I went back to LensCrafters for my follow-up appt. Saw a different OD and she told me the same thing: Optometrists that work for Lenscrafters in CA are EMPLOYEED by Eye-Exam of CA, so they get full BENEFITS, such as health and dental insurance and vacation time. They also do not need to worry about paying rent for the lease since they are not lease-holding doctors. So CA actually IS one of those states where ODs can be employeed by companies.

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the states that do and do not allow ODs to be employed by companies? I am eventually interested in working in CA, so I'm happy to hear this, but I also know that it might be very hard to find a job there. Also, there seem to be many knowledgeable people in this thread. I've seen that Cohen's, Pearle Vision, and America's Best are rather reviled on here, and I'm not going to argue with that because I've never worked for these companies, nor have I been one of their clients. With that being said, are there any corporations that you guys like or would at least recommend over the ones I listed? Essentially, if those are the bottom of the rung for commercial OD employers, what you list as the top?

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the states that do and do not allow ODs to be employed by companies? I am eventually interested in working in CA, so I'm happy to hear this, but I also know that it might be very hard to find a job there. Also, there seem to be many knowledgeable people in this thread. I've seen that Cohen's, Pearle Vision, and America's Best are rather reviled on here, and I'm not going to argue with that because I've never worked for these companies, nor have I been one of their clients. With that being said, are there any corporations that you guys like or would at least recommend over the ones I listed? Essentially, if those are the bottom of the rung for commercial OD employers, what you list as the top?

If a list like this exists, the AOA would be a place to start. I've never seen one.

There really is no such thing as a "top" commercial OD employer. All commercial companies have the same goal - to sell materials. They don't give a crap about providing eye care. That's where the problems stem from - in all cases. You can't avoid that issue since it exists in every case. Certainly, AB, PV, Cohens are at the bottom of the pile, but the rest are not far above.

If you're planning on practicing commercial in CA, please remember to return here to post your experiences. I'm sure it will be very enlightening to everyone here. You've got a long way to go.

If a list like this exists, the AOA would be a place to start. I've never seen one.

There really is no such thing as a "top" commercial OD employer. All commercial companies have the same goal - to sell materials. They don't give a crap about providing eye care. That's where the problems stem from - in all cases. You can't avoid that issue since it exists in every case. Certainly, AB, PV, Cohens are at the bottom of the pile, but the rest are not far above.

If you're planning on practicing commercial in CA, please remember to return here to post your experiences. I'm sure it will be very enlightening to everyone here. You've got a long way to go.

Not sure if the enlightening part was sarcastic (I hope it's not), but I will try to keep posting on here if I feel that I can help others. I will check the AOA, thanks for the tip.