Does location of school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

einahpets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this may sound like a very basic question, however I'm curious.
I am currently looking at Master degrees so I can eventually practice in Texas with the LPC license. Does it matter where I get my masters from? Could I get it from a place outside of Texas ex. Boston/NY and come back to Texas after grad school to apply for licensure?
I am very confused on this one.
Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, this may sound like a very basic question, however I'm curious.
I am currently looking at Master degrees so I can eventually practice in Texas with the LPC license. Does it matter where I get my masters from? Could I get it from a place outside of Texas ex. Boston/NY and come back to Texas after grad school to apply for licensure?
I am very confused on this one.
Thanks !

Could you? Yes.
Should you? Probably not, but it's up to you.

The basic reasons for why I say this is that you're likely going into a unfunded master's program, perhaps even with out of state tuition. For a master's program this may run you upwards of 40K in tuition, not to mention the cost of living in Boston/NY. That's going to likely be between 100-200% of your first year income as an LPC-i in Texas, making the monthly payments almost unmanageable.

Texas has a number of great counseling programs and has a strong support for counseling. The cost of living is far less and the state school tuition is relatively low.

As I said though, it's your choice. If you have funding, that choice may be a little more open. I'd say that if you want to practice in Texas and you're from Texas, get your degree in Texas where it's cheapest and you may even have less paperwork. Then go visit NY and Boston on conferences that are tax deductible later in your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of attending masters-level programs, it's smart to conduct the graduate program in the state in which you plan to practice because it's just easier to deal with accreditation when you graduate with the license of LPC. Plus you could maybe attend a program at a public university and the price will be really reasonable!

In terms of attending masters-level programs, it's smart to conduct the graduate program in the state in which you plan to practice because it's just easier to deal with accreditation when you graduate with the license of LPC.

This will more than likely not be an issue if you attend a CACREP or CORE accredited program. One thing I forgot in my first post, you'll likely have to invest in additional Jurisprudence training, because any classes on legal issues will likely focus on the state the program is located in.

In terms of attending masters-level programs, it's smart to conduct the graduate program in the state in which you plan to practice because it's just easier to deal with accreditation when you graduate with the license of LPC. Plus you could maybe attend a program at a public university and the price will be really reasonable!

I'd say this, unless you are married, then move wherever your wife will agree to move to.:D

This is more complicated. But i agree to them. It is up to you. If you really want it badly, they at least try. It is much worth if you try that to ignore and jump to other decision of yours .At least try again then make some move if things don't work out.

I think there are a number of reasons to get your degree where you want to work. I'd second what's already been said about easier accreditation, but I'd also suggest that it might be easier to find a job if you've built a network through your masters program.