Does my B+ in my post-bacc Biochemistry class look really terrible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I'm a post-bacc student trying to learn how to do well in science classes so I can get into and succeed in medical school. My undergrad GPA was about a 2.86 and my science GPA was the reason why my GPA was low.

So I am doing a "DIY post bacc" this year at a local university post graduation.

I took 12 credits (Biochemistry, Physiology, and Microbiology). My GPA for this semester is a 3.8. I got a 4.0 in Physiology and Micro but a 3.4 in Biochem.

I worked really hard to learn how to balance my time and study effectively. I learned a lot this semester and matured a lot from my poor study habits in undergrad. I still have growing to do but I learned quite a bit.

I do feel I did everything in my power in Biochem but I just didn't make the cut to get an A or A-. The first time I took biochem I got a C- so a B+ is major improvement, but I've heard from many people that getting anything below an A- looks bad for a retake. Can my strong improvement count for something here?

I appreciate any advice/opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short I'm a post-bacc student trying to learn how to do well in science classes so I can get into and succeed in medical school. My undergrad GPA was about a 2.86 and my science GPA was the reason why my GPA was low.

So I am doing a "DIY post bacc" this year at a local university post graduation.

I took 12 credits (Biochemistry, Physiology, and Microbiology). My GPA for this semester is a 3.8. I got a 4.0 in Physiology and Micro but a 3.4 in Biochem.

I worked really hard to learn how to balance my time and study effectively. I learned a lot this semester and matured a lot from my poor study habits in undergrad. I still have growing to do but I learned quite a bit.

I do feel I did everything in my power in Biochem but I just didn't make the cut to get an A or A-. The first time I took biochem I got a C- so a B+ is major improvement, but I've heard from many people that getting anything below an A- looks bad for a retake. Can my strong improvement count for something here?

That grade is just fine. Just work on bringing up your GPA. Getting an occasional B+ is not something you should be worrying about.

Check out the 4:18 minute mark (I think it is directed right at you): .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That grade is just fine. Just work on bringing up your GPA. Getting an occasional B+ is not something you should be worrying about.
Hey MedWonk,

I occasionally see you in the Harvard Extension thread. If you don't mind, what was your GPA during postbacc? I was curious what a good GPA at Harvard Extension is to get accepted to a MD school.

As long as you maintain a high GPA in your post bacc you'll be fine. I got a B+ in Orgo lab in my post-bacc and thought it was the end of the world. The Mayans were wrong, and so was I.

Reactions: 1 user
NO!!!!

Hey MedWonk,

I occasionally see you in the Harvard Extension thread. If you don't mind, what was your GPA during postbacc? I was curious what a good GPA at Harvard Extension is to get accepted to a MD school.

I mean the higher the better for a retake since AMCAS averages the grades. This might shock you, but I think you'll survive.