[Deleted post]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrot395

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted post]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I heard this rumor that it is absolutely important to attend a medical school in a huge city because of better clinical opportunity. I went to the Midwest recently to interview and I LOVE LOVE there! I am from NYC and I have never liked the city that much. In fact I did not go to undergrad there because of this problem. Any current medical school students want to comment if they get enough clinical exposure outside of an overcrowded city?

I would imagine the clinical exposure is sufficient either way - it really depends on individual's efforts.
I'm not a med student, but I can totally relate to your NYC sentiments. In fact, it won't be difficult for me to leave the city if a good out of state option arises when I apply.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your Midwest experience. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
There is plenty of patient diversity in the Midwest. Even in my state the med school sees crazy things because it is the only place to be treated in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's matters most is that your clinical exposure is in a tertiary care hospital

It depends what school and what city. Detroit, Cincinnati, Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago (all midwest cities) are great for medical training.