Does Online Anatomy Class Count as a Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JM2397

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking into some dental school requirements, specifically UNC's, it says they require anatomy with a lab. Now I was thinking about taking BYU's Human Anatomy course online, which says it includes a virtual lab. Now is the virtual lab the same thing as taking a lab in person? In other words, would UNC accept the online class + virtual lab as me completing an anatomy class with lab? Here's what UNC's prereqs say:

" One course (including lab) must be human anatomy or vertebrate zoology. Both courses must include labs involving vertebrate dissection."

I'd love to take the class online over the summer, however if the lab doesn't count then why do it.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to ask UNC if they will accept it. Call and ask admissions. Offer to send the syllabus if they would like. That is what I did with MWU AZ for the online anatomy course and how I received my answer.

How would that count as a lab? You're sitting on your computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would that count as a lab? You're sitting on your computer.
They have an online dissection portion as part of the course. Believe it or not, some schools do count it as a lab.

Reactions: 1 user
They have an online dissection portion as part of the course. Believe it or not, some schools do count it as a lab.

How did you like it? I'm thinking about taking it since it's a little more convenient for me to juggle full time work and an online course. How many weeks does it typically take to get through the course?

That's very interesting lol. Thanks for the info.
Haha no problem. It's definitely no where near as useful as doing it person... but oh well.

How did you like it? I'm thinking about taking it since it's a little more convenient for me to juggle full time work and an online course. How many weeks does it typically take to get through the course?
It's not bad. You will have to take the exams at an approved testing center (2 midterms + 2 finals)

@fogorvostan , How much time are you spending on that online class each week, and did MWU-AZ accept it?

Is it self paced?

@fogorvostan , How much time are you spending on that online class each week, and did MWU-AZ accept it?

Is it self paced?
I spend about 8 hours a week on it, mainly on the weekends. I do very little if any work during the week because of my job. This may increase or decrease once I finally get around to taking either one of the midterms and seeing how I do.

And yes, MWU AZ will accept the credits. I made sure before I signed up. They used to require four credit hours of anatomy, but now it's only three.

100% self paced. There are 19 online quizzes, two midterms and two finals. The midterms and finals must be taken at an approved testing center.

Reactions: 1 user
Old post bump, I know, but I think this thread could help many people out.

The midterms and finals must be taken at an approved testing center.

Do you have any recommendations on how to find an approved testing center? Do I just go to a local community college and ask them?