Does optometry have a future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-doc_93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout my whole undergraduate career I have been pre-optometry and have completed two years of research working under ophthalmologists and optometrists. While at research the other day, several ophthalmologists told me that optometry is not a field anyone should go into because it is no longer a field that provides a high income or a meaningful position. Can any optometrists or current students shed some light on this? I plan on applying to optometry school this upcoming summer and can't make up my mind now as to which medical field I should go into. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You will find a variety of responses on this forum. I think you should also ask the optometrists that you work with and see what they say.

The debt you will incur is way out of proportion for what your income will be, I gave up my seat at an optometry school and went to medical school.

I will have less debt and my starting income will be ~2x what it wouldve been.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy is even more saturated than Optometry, with predictions of 20% unemployment by 2018.

If ROI is your main concern, go for MD/DO. The other graduate programs (i.e. pharmacy, PT, optometry, even dental) are riddled with massive debt and dwindling employment.

Throughout my whole undergraduate career I have been pre-optometry and have completed two years of research working under ophthalmologists and optometrists. While at research the other day, several ophthalmologists told me that optometry is not a field anyone should go into because it is no longer a field that provides a high income or a meaningful position. Can any optometrists or current students shed some light on this? I plan on applying to optometry school this upcoming summer and can't make up my mind now as to which medical field I should go into. Thank you.

The OMDs told you not to go into Optometry? I'm shocked. :thinking:

Luckily for you, the search function will be your best friend. This topic has been extensively discussed here. You are the only one who can decide which career to pursue. You mentioned two things in your post: high income and meaningful position. I'm not sure what you mean by the second, so I probably won't dignify it with a response, but if it's money you are most concerned about, you might seriously consider a different route.

The debt you will incur is way out of proportion for what your income will be, I gave up my seat at an optometry school and went to medical school.

I will have less debt and my starting income will be ~2x what it wouldve been.

Listen to him...you're much less likely to regret your decision.

Listen to him...you're much less likely to regret your decision.
I'm not sure that's true. Some mds are motivated to go that route because of money and end up disliking the stress and schedule.

On the other hand, OD's are generally a pretty laid back bunch. You're basically losing at optometry if only make 80k. It could be worse. Plenty of others do way better than 80k. CA and a few other places are poor for optometry though.

It's a personal decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hard time understanding why medical school is discussed as such a natural alternative to Optometry, and vice versa. Either there is some ignorance about what these professions actually do, or return on investment is the only thing that matters.

This seems like a question you should be asking yourself. How much school do you want to do? Private practice? Hospital? Research? Also this forum is usually pretty negative. Take a local OD in the mode of practice you want to be in to lunch and see what they say.

Here is an old post, but all the info is still timeless

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/competiveness-of-optometry.240229/#post-3106940

This the most important part of the post:

The optometry industry is like the entertainment business. Many aspiring actors and actresses goto hollywood to become famous. Some become stars, but many more end up waiting tables, working in nightclubs or staring in adult films. The irony of life is often all too sad.

And for those who choose Optometry instead of acting, you will probably enjoy a much more stable career.

I've been an OD for about 16 years and I'm very concerned about the future of this profession.

First, there are way too many of us. I read last year that it's predicted there will be 8000 excessive eye care practitioners (OMD plus OD) in the US in ten years. Given there should be one OD for approx every 6000 people for a full-time practice ... that figure gives me pause.

Second, we're divided as a result of a general optometric revolt that occurred a few years ago when the American Optometric Association was pushing National Board Certification as a requirement for licensure. The excuse was that some AOA lawyers believed the Affordable Care Act mandated that only board certified physicians could receive payments under Obamacare. But that only applied to MD's, I believe, and not to ancillary health care professionals such as optometrists. The general optometric public was opposed to the national board certification initiative and despite that the AOA pushed forward anyway. A HUGE number of OD's dropped AOA membership to the point where the AOA faced serious financial problems.

The AOS was established by former AOA members. Then, the AOA developed an expensive and timely board certification course. The AOA developed their course. the AOA sued the AOS and won. The AOS dropped their course and the AOA continues on.

What's funny is that now the National Board of Examiners in Optometry, the only national authority in this issue in the US, is now offering a board certification program at like around a hundred dollars. They give you a study guide and 7 years to prep for the course.

And yet, board certification is not required at any state level. So I figure why should I bother???? I'm sick of studying the same boring stuff and really would rather spend my free time studying something new and more challenging, such as Botany.

I love plants. They don't talk back. They're very honest. If you do something wrong, they die, and that's it.

Anyway, I feel kinda lost as an OD ... with no professional identity. This isn't the profession I originally went into. What's happened to Vision Therapy and Sports Vision and the keystone binocular scopes and some of the stuff that made optometry a completely distinct profession from ophthalmology?

I went to a professional meeting in Berkeley last week and they squeezed 500 optometrists into a 3000 square foot room. I've never seen so many OD's in my life. The room was filled beyond capacity. I had half a mind to call the fire department or code enforcement and turn them in for a major violation. There's no way those rooms were approved for that many people!

The event was sponsored by UC Berkeley College of Optometry. Really one of the best schools. They didn't even have enough respect for their own members to make certain that we were reasonably comfortable during the meeting (which was at a hotel). I actually had an unexpected attack of claustrophobia. My fiancee (who is not an OD) was waiting for me outside and he found an angry old OD holed up in the bathroom cussing because he had to pee and the proctors wouldn't let him out. (The doors were closed and it was getting really hot in there). Other OD's were complaining about it. I seriously expected more from UC Berkeley. I won't be going there again. I'll go to PUCO for my CE in the future or to GWCO in PDX.

I digress.

I've just seen some disturbing trends come up the pike and just when I thought the profession could not become more pretentious and self-congratulatory, the state board or the AOA come up with some new change they MUST make to the profession to remain competitive in the new millenium.

What they tout as progress is really an attempt to save the profession that the AOA has steered into ruin with it's agenda of medical optometry.

Really, unless you practice VT-related stuff, you're really nothing more than a wannabe MD.

I can't recommend this profession to anyone.

I've been surfing around the net a lot. There are problems in a LOT of health professions. Nursing is stressful and involves cleaning excrement. Dentistry involves all patients hating you. ETC...

The best health professions are NOT the position of the physician but that of a tech. Example: Cardiac Ultrasonographer. Medical imaging specialties. I see lots of job offers everywhere for occupational therapists and physical therapists. I think that fitting veterans with a prosthetic who had a leg blown off would be really rewarding. Or an arm prosthetic. You can also work with the visually impaired to help them ambulate inside their homes. That would be cool. Being PA is not a bad way to go. PA's can do a lot of interesting stuff like slicing and draining skin lesions. A lot of those careers are 5 yr bachelor careers. And the ROI is a LOT higher than for a higher professional degree.

And on the upside you don't have the stress of being in a position of top authority. It's stressful making those decisions because you'll doubt yourself all the time if you're a good doctor. If you're a tech, you don't have to make those decisions in the first place and you'll still take home 60-80K per year.

Last edited:
Basically, if I had access to a time machine, I'd go back to my 16 year-old self (that's when I decided to be an OD) and tell her NOT to go into Optometry, but to pursue a career that involved my best aptitude. Optometry involves a lot of math and that area was not my best subject. I was good at lots of things ... writing, art, and biological sciences. I should have had a broader education in my BS degree years to discover which area I performed best.

Honestly, it's probably Art. I also really love plants and like to paint them.

My advice is to DO and PURSUE your aptitude - and to heck with everyone else who may or may not be pressuring you. It's YOUR life, not theirs!

Last edited:
" While at research the other day, several ophthalmologists told me that optometry is not a field anyone should go into because it is no longer a field that provides a high income or a meaningful position."

You should literally thank the ophthalmologists from the bottom of your heart for what they said to you. I'm not sure what is meant by meaningful position? but I can assure you that Optometry is a field that no longer provides a high income. Someone else mentioned above that the debt incurred in Optometry school is out of proportion of what your income will be. That statement is 100% accurate. I've been an OD for over twenty years and I've seen this wonderful profession make significant strides allowing us greater responsibility to care for our patients.
If you are coming out of Optometry school with 200K in debt or more, you'll be facing an uphill battle to pay back that staggering amount with what Optometry pays today. In my personal opinion, our salary is insulting to say the least. I can name you 10 other professions who make a lot more than us and some of them you don't need a professional degree but rather a GED.
Those ophthalmologists have a sincere interest in you or else they would not have told you what they said. They have been around and know what the scenarios are.
If money is a concern to you, go become a physician and you'll be more marketable than any OD out there. MD's no matter what their specialty are much more marketable than optometrists will ever be.

Go take those OMDs who showed interest in you to dinner or thank them immensely. I would.

GL to you!

It depends on how much you like optometry, where you're willing to work, how much debt you're willing to put yourself in, how you want to practice, and how much money earned will satisfy you. You can eat anywhere with an optometry degree. CA is much more of a struggle than Texas or NC. If you're willing to see 30 patients with medical problems per day, you'll earn more than seeing ten routine patients, etc. it's variable and it's your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk