Does Osmotic Pressure only apply to ions or other types of molecules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medprospect22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reviewing Section Bank and stumbled upon a question.
One of the discrete questions (question 15 bio), is which quantity produces the most Osmotic pressure. I understand that CaCl2 dissociates into 3 ions which then equates to 3 times the molar quantity; however, there is also glucose as an answer choice. I understand that when CaCl2 dissociates it gives off .6M which is greater than the .5 of glucose, but my question is whether other molecules apart from ions can generate osmotic pressure. So if .7M glucose was an option, would that have been the correct answer or would it still be the .2M CaCl2? Hope that makes sense. Appreciate it very much

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah osmotic pressure is any solute in the blood/interstitial fluid I think. It's anything minus water pressure exerted on the blood vessel wall.

Proteins increase osmotic pressure for example

Reactions: 1 user
Anything really, even glucose (not an ion). Just keep in mind that the glucose, since it's not an ion it WILL NOT disassociate, so it counts as "1 equivalent". Example: What has a higher osmotic pressure, .1 M glucose or .1 M NaCl; it's NaCl because it'll count as TWO ions (you can consider it as .2 M equivalent of osmotic pressure)

If it dissolves or dissociates into water, then it interacts with water. As such, any solute in an aqueous solution will impact the osmotic pressure.