Does Professor VS Ramachandran have Parkinson's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatNanym

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if Dr. Vilayanur S Ramachandran, the brilliant neuroscientist, has Parkinson's. If you watch some of his lectures from the past and now, you can notice a dramatic change in the way he walks, his gestures etc.

Do you think he could possibly have Parkinson's?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it could possibly be any of your business if he did?

Seriously. Firstly, no one is going to offer up a diagnostic opinion of anything on this board. It's a forum no-no. Secondly, I don't think any neurologist worth their salt is going to offer up a legitimate diagnosis of just about anything based on solely on a YouTube video. (Rip-roaring, Oscar-worthy, utterly ridiculous pseudoseizures and Ministry of Silly Walks level non-organic gaits excluded :meh:).

Do you think it could possibly be any of your business if he did?

Seriously. Firstly, no one is going to offer up a diagnostic opinion of anything on this board. It's a forum no-no. Secondly, I don't think any neurologist worth their salt is going to offer up a legitimate diagnosis of just about anything based on solely on a YouTube video. (Rip-roaring, Oscar-worthy, utterly ridiculous pseudoseizures and Ministry of Silly Walks level non-organic gaits excluded :meh:).
No, I was just wondering if the symptoms seen in the video matched that of Parkinson's. That's it. No malice intended.

The man has devoted a large portion of his life to teaching medical students and the general public to be more neuro-literate. I don't think he would mind using himself as a teaching example. He clearly has a left sided resting tremor, flattening of facial movements, reduced arm swing - from what I saw. I don't think the question is PD or not, but what stage it is. Hope he stays mild, which is generally the rule for tremor dominant PD.

Reactions: 1 user