Does relevance of your research PI matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Do med schools care about the prestige of your PI for research?
As in, does it have significant weight whether your PI is an associate professor, professor, post-doc, or PhD?
Which leads me to this additional question: would a letter of recommendation from the PI, regardless of the 4 categories above, have equal weight or would a PI professor's letter be weighted more than a PhD's PI letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are mashing a lot of terms here. Let's clarify that first before answering the question. Nearly every PI doing research I have ever met had a doctorate (PhD, MD, etc.). There maybe exceptions, but it is usually the case far more often than not.

A post-doc already has a PhD, but is working in another PI's lab to publish more research which he or she will need to apply for a job in academia or something else. The post-docs who get a job usually start as assistant professors and work their way up to associate professor, then full professor (correct me if I am wrong). The physician researcher route is a little different depending on whether it is an MD, PhD or just an MD (won't comment on this one).

Now to answer your question. Medical schools do take title into account, because it shows how long the letter writer has been in academia. If professor Z, as stated you are the top 10% of people he has ever worked with, the amount of years he has taught students will make make that statement stronger. Would it sound better to have a professor who was been a PI for 5 years say "you are the top 10%..." or a professor who has been a PI for 20 years say " you are the top 10%...".

However, the question remains. Do you like the PI you want to work under and is his or her research interesting? This is far more important than the prestige level of your PI. I myself would rather be under the associate professor who I liked and had interesting research vs. the full professor who I did not like and had research that did not interest me. This right here is a very important aspect to consider.

Good luck to you and I hope you are happy with your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
In general, you want publications, presentations, and, importantly, the ability to explain your research. Prestige is less important for a pre-med, although a prestigious PI may be able to connect you to people on the admissions committee....or they may be on the admissions committee themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
If s/he's a friend of someone on the Adcom, it might.

No LOR carries more weight than any other. I've seen them from US Senators and a Nobel laurate, and we treat them the same.

Do med schools care about the prestige of your PI for research?
As in, does it have significant weight whether your PI is an associate professor, professor, post-doc, or PhD?
Which leads me to this additional question: would a letter of recommendation from the PI, regardless of the 4 categories above, have equal weight or would a PI professor's letter be weighted more than a PhD's PI letter?

Reactions: 1 user
If s/he's a friend of someone on the Adcom, it might.

No LOR carries more weight than any other. I've seen them from US Senators and a Nobel laurate, and we treat them the same.
Woahhh :eek:

Been on a few interviews now and I've never been asked the 'H-Index' of my PI so no I really don't think 'prestige' matters. As long as you know what you did in your research and you can explain it well, you'll totally be good.

Reactions: 1 user
my PI is very prestigious. i don't think it helped my application, though they signed off an a LOR.

My PI is one of the most senior faculty members/physicians and is an MD/PhD at my school. Most every faculty member, including my interviewer, that I have spoken to at the medical school (at my school) knew him and how tough he is (most people were impressed I worked in his lab). I believe the research that I did at his lab and his evaluation of me carried a significant weight in my acceptance. So yes, I do think the prestige definitely helps. Especially if you are applying to the medical school at your university.

Last edited: