Does specialty matter to TY programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouFoundMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote my PS and got all of my LORs for medicine but now want to do a TY and continue on from there in a different field. Do I have to change my LORs and PS, or can I leave as is? I don't see why a program should actually care what you are doing after the program is complete and was wondering if ppl have run into this before.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote my PS and got all of my LORs for medicine but now want to do a TY and continue on from there in a different field. Do I have to change my LORs and PS, or can I leave as is? I don't see why a program should actually care what you are doing after the program is complete and was wondering if ppl have run into this before.

Transitional and preliminary year programs favor people who are "designated" (already have advanced programs lined up) because such individuals don't require time off to interview or administrative help in lining up new positions. So yes, the typical TY is going to favor the person already accepted to derm or rads over the person who anticipates applying.