Does surgery ever get boring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archdelux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an honest question of you surgeons--does doing the same procedure (often for very long periods of time) ever get boring? If not--is it something to do with your personality or to do with the career/specialty? If so--how do you cope?

On a different note--does surgery ever become 'too physical', in the sense that you wished you spent more time diagnosing/talking to patient/etc. instead of in the OR (more 'cerebral' medicine)? Or do most find it a perfect mix of both?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an honest question of you surgeons--does doing the same procedure (often for very long periods of time) ever get boring?

Certainly not yet but Im only an intern. However, on my ortho rotation as a student I was bored numb after seeing my 2nd hip replacement. If I never see another knee or hip again it will be a blessing. So I guess it depends upon what kinda procedures you like: delicate graceful surgery or pounding away like a monkey.

If not--is it something to do with your personality or to do with the career/specialty? If so--how do you cope?

Probably personality. I like to do repetative things and get better/faster every time, its part of my one-track-mind personality. But every case is also a little different so there is some element of discovery.

On a different note--does surgery ever become 'too physical', in the sense that you wished you spent more time diagnosing

No

talking to patient

Depends on the patient, usually no...every so often yes.

etc. instead of in the OR

No, stupid question.

Or do most find it a perfect mix of both?

Not perfect by any means but in private practice you can adjust the mix by using PA's etc to fit what you like to do.

I have an honest question of you surgeons--does doing the same procedure (often for very long periods of time) ever get boring?

Sure, sometimes. Like Tired, there are certain procedures I don'
t enjoy but most of the time its really related to my mood. There are just days when I wish I was elsewhere and it wouldn't matter what procedure I was doing.

If not--is it something to do with your personality or to do with the career/specialty? If so--how do you cope?

Being a little OCD helps (we like to call it "focus").

On a different note--does surgery ever become 'too physical', in the sense that you wished you spent more time diagnosing/talking to patient/etc. instead of in the OR (more 'cerebral' medicine)? Or do most find it a perfect mix of both?

Thanks!

Not usually. I picked a subspecialty which affords me the opportunity to spend a lot of time in the office talking to patients, but even so, with SOME patients its too much. Sometimes I meet patients that I just really like (ie, I could see myself being friends with them) and on those days, I really enjoy sitting and talking with them. But for the most part I do not wish to change the doctor-patient dynamics particular to surgery,

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an honest question of you surgeons--does doing the same procedure (often for very long periods of time) ever get boring? If not--is it something to do with your personality or to do with the career/specialty? If so--how do you cope?

Thanks!

Every procedure is a bit different, but that being said, some are more fun/interesting than others. Most of the time it's not boring though.

"too physical" - sometimes my back just kills me at the end of a long pelvic case when i'm twisted and stretching and pulling in awkward directions. I don't notice it much at the time but the end of the day i'm sore and exhausted. I'm now working out with a trainer to improve my upper body and back strength. It will also help when i'm finally the boss and can adjust the table as i like it!

As for the "too physical" vs. "cerebral". Surgery is actually very cerebral. You have to decide who to operate on and what operation and take care of them afterwards. Surgery is actually a very good mix of both doing and thinking. Many "surgical" problems can be fixed without surgery (diet, lifestyle, medications, etc), so there is still a lot of medicine in surgery.

I certainly agree with Tussy. Surgeons are much more cerebral than anyone gives them credit for. Often you are consulted to manage patients that have a surgical problem that doesn't need an operation. Sometimes you are referred patients that are told they need surgery when infact they don't. And still other times you are strictly a tech taking a Lymph node for a tissue diagnosis. The bottomline is a surgeon is a MD that should be able to manage most any medical problem. However nonsurgeons can't operate

I certainly agree with Tussy. Surgeons are much more cerebral than anyone gives them credit for. Often you are consulted to manage patients that have a surgical problem that doesn't need an operation. Sometimes you are referred patients that are told they need surgery when infact they don't.

My experience taking consults for our General Surgery services is that more than 50% of said consults DON'T end up in the OR. More than 50%.

So you're absolutely right - a majority of surgical consults require non-operative management.

On a related question for the surgeons, how do you feel about long operations (8hr+)? Do you lose interest in doing big whacks the older you get? Does your caseload change with experience? In the ENT dept where I'm at, a lot of the radical necks and flaps are done by the young guns in their 30's. The senior attendings tend to do quick in-n-out procedures. Is this pretty typical?

Depends if it's a long case because it's intricate, exciting and technically challenging, or if it's just a bloody mess.

For example, challenging but enjoyable 10-hour redo AVR? Sure!

Messy 4-hour adhesiolysis and component separation in a frozen abdomen? No thanks.

I have a little more ADD than Blade as I much prefer multiple shorter cases.

However, it really depends on my mood, who I'm working with and what the case is. I really enjoyed Whipples and most vascular cases (although not enough to spend my life doing them) as well as SLN Bx and Axillary dissections. I too loved the H&N cases during my elective.

Adhesiolysis? No thanks. AVR? Ditto! Most redo surgeries? Ick.

On a related question for the surgeons, how do you feel about long operations (8hr+)? Do you lose interest in doing big whacks the older you get? Does your caseload change with experience? In the ENT dept where I'm at, a lot of the radical necks and flaps are done by the young guns in their 30's. The senior attendings tend to do quick in-n-out procedures. Is this pretty typical?

It depends on what body cavity I'm working on, what my role as a resident is, and how annoying the attending is going to be for the next 8+ hours.

Complex redo, redos in Vascular Surgery? I like them, but they get frustrating after the 8th hour and I get bad, almost debilitating headaches.

The longest vascular case I was scrubbed on was an 83 year old patient who had had an EVAR about 2 years ago, lost to followup, previous history of multiple laparotomies, who at some point in the last two years prior to presentation developed a Type 1 endoleak that ruptured. It was a Saturday morning that I got called (the fellows were away at a course in California) by a hospital about 40 miles away who had received him through their ED hypotensive the night before. They had "resuscitated" him and were arranging for a transfer because they had no vascular surgeon on staff and no general surgeon willing to deal with the leaking aneurysm.

So around 1PM the patient arrived and we prepped him for the OR. The CTs showed he still had some space to slap an extension cuff over the endoleak without covering the renals. So the attending said, "We'll fix this endovascularly." Somehow I knew my weekend was shot. The angio showed a type 1 endoleak that had been previously treated with coils by an outside hospital (we never found out where and by whom) and that now the whole sac had blown, extravasation of contrast, and all sorts of nastyness were in the retroperitoneum. The coils had also blown out and were half in the sac, and half out in the retroperitoneum.

By about Hour No. 8 an extension cuff was deployed across the neck and seemed to have stopped flow into the sac. The coils all kind of hung out in the sac and floated around, but otherwise there was no contrast seen.

So we deemed this a successful save. The patient was tachycardic and hypotensive and stuff, but the attending was confident that the patient would be well resuscitated.

I checked for pulses in the legs. No dice. No femorals. The angio had showed sluggish flow through the iliacs.

So we re-prepped for a LE angio and found no flow below the common femoral artery. Dunno why. Both were out. So the attending decided the patient should have an axillary bifemoral bypass.

Hour No. 13 into this case and the ax-bifems were done. There was now blood flow. We were cleaning up, closing the wounds, and Anesthesia said, "We're having trouble ventilating."

The patients abdomen was severely distended with bladder pressures in the 20s. He had an abdominal compartment syndrome and so we lapped him! All that work with the stents and the wires and stuff were all flushed down the toilet! He got lapped after all! So we opened the abdomen, a General Surgeon came in to run the bowel. She felt the bowel was fine and we left the belly open and put a vac pack over it. By the time the patient got off the OR table it was 3:30AM. Fifteen and a half hours in the OR. It may not have been the swiftest decision making I've seen by a vascular surgeon, but he took a calculated risk and things just went to crap.

I thought several times about quitting during the case, but it was damn fun. My role during the endo stuff was minimal since it was a rupture. But I had my own side for the ax-bifem. I did the laparotomy. I ran the bowel with the General Surgery attending. I made the vac pack. So I had a good time.

I stayed the rest of the night and basically stayed in-house until Monday night, when I finally went home. I know it's not kosher by the ACGME standards, but it was the right thing to do. Eventually the patient died, but you knew that was coming, right?

Anything head/neck related, I'm not a fan of. Chest cases I like generally. I'm not crazy about Whipples. Call me nuts but I just don't like it.

Long bypasses? The fem-far aways? Love them.

I think with certain long operations the more senior guys will just punt to their younger associates, as a form of dumping. Senior people will certainly do more ambulatory type stuff to pay the bills, but these are usually the same guys who want to do only Whipples, or be only the TAAA guy. No one really wants to be the "redo gastric bypass" guy with all its inherent problems, so I think the young 'uns get screwed with those.

Yeah... I know.

I never get tired of that story though. It just shows you how truly when the fit hits the shan, everyone in the room gets covered and smells like doody.

Oh believe me, I'm all for the short (2-3 hours MAX) cases! The longer ones are cool and a necessary evil, though.

I stayed postcall last year to help with a Wilms tumor I had admited the night before. Figuiring most are encapsulated and we would easily shell it out in a few hours. The thing was all enveloped in the pancreas, and once the second attending came in it got pretty boaring. As long as Im active I can stay awake but push me out of the way postcall, and I'm as good as asleep. I had to have the scrub call my wife so she could push back our dinner plans for "date night". I finished the case but left before we placed the mediport (anaplastic).

Short answer, yes.

I do find that the more I learn than the more intresting the cases are. I hope that continues.

Scar tissue and redo surgeries just suck A**.

-Mike