Does taking up a new sport/hobby in college good for EC on Med school app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Dude stop with all these threads.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it if you want to. Don't do it if you don't. An extracurricular is only going to be impressive if it's something you're actually passionate about.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude stop being a jerk

It's hard to take your threads seriously when you can't even be bothered to include content beyond a title.

Reactions: 1 users
If I ask something about EC why do you guys always assume it has a superficial motive? I want to learn piano and take it up as a hobby and maybe play in a concert. My question was whether or not I should put it on the application.

If I ask something about EC why do you guys always assume it has a superficial motive? I want to learn piano and take it up as a hobby and maybe play in a concert. My question was whether or not I should put it on the application.

You're not going to "play in a concert" if you are just starting out on piano. Not only is it harder to learn piano as an adult, it takes years, even on the scale of decades, to get to the level of a concert pianist.

If you want to learn piano, then do it. If you want to put it on your app, then do it.

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, you can't state that I won't get to play in a concert. I'm not talking professional. And second of all, the only thing that makes it "harder" for an adult is that adults have less time.

Do you think that putting it down on an application will help? If yes, then put it down. If no, then don't put it down.

First of all, you can't state that I won't get to play in a concert. I'm not talking professional. And second of all, the only thing that makes it "harder" for an adult is that adults have less time.
You must know literally nothing about the human brain.

Edit because I was mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You must know literally nothing about the human brain.

(might be because you don't have one..)

Damn, let's all be civil. No need to get nasty here.

OP, do things you like and if it's significant put it on your app. Don't do things just to put them on your app.

A recital? Sure. The level of proficiency that is required for a concert is much higher than beginner level.

And no, that is not why it's harder for an adult. Piano is something that is exponentially easier and faster to learn when you're young, it takes longer and much more practice to get to the same level as an adult.

Reactions: 1 user
I played piano from 6-9 so I guess that won't apply to me

Dude don't overthink this, just live life and do what you want, if it includes playing piano then cool. When it comes time to apply, include some of your interesting hobbies/stuff you like doing. Easy as that.

In that case, a clearer way to phrase the question might be something like, "Is this worth putting on my application? Will it help me?" -- emphasis whether or not to include in the application and not on the choice of a taking up a new hobby. This may seem like a small thing to change, but it would alter the way people understand your question. The way the question is posed now, it seems like you might choose not to take up piano if it won't help med school apps, which in turn seems super mercenary -- and thus, the responses you've been getting. And the first post does not elaborate, which adds to the feeling that the person asking the question is sort of flippantly asking a mercenary question (diminishes a sense of your being a real person who might genuinely care about piano).

That said, my $0.02: I think piano would go great on an application if you have space for it and if it's an important activity to you.

Only if it fits with the theme of your application. If it does it may perhaps add something substantial.

IMO, adding a hobby may not be beneficial. I would question why you stopped (referring to the statement that you played from ages 6-9) as supposed to longitudinally continuing the hobby to the present day.

If you're interested in a particular hobby, it will be evident! Do what you love!!!! If its something you love, longevity and dedication will come soon after!