Does the equation G=-RTlnK work only if G is a standard gibbs free energy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the equation
G=-RTlnK
work only if G is a STANDARD gibbs free energy?(ie, under standard condition)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that is correct it is dG0 = - RTlnK

This comes from the equation:
dG = dG0 + RTlnK

Since dG = 0 at equilibrium,

dG0 = -RTlnK

Yes that is correct it is dG0 = - RTlnK

This comes from the equation:
dG = dG0 + RTlnK

Since dG = 0 at equilibrium,

dG0 = -RTlnK
Wait are you saying that dG=0 when under standard condition?

Wait are you saying that dG=0 when under standard condition?

By definition delta G is going to be the same as delta Go under standard conditions. dG isn't going to equal zero under standard conditions (because dGo would be zero too), but the equation dGo = -RTlnK assumes the reaction is in equilibrium I think (note we are using K and not Q), which is why dG=O.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, since we have K in this equation, we are at equilibrium and dG = 0.
By definition delta G is going to be the same as delta Go under standard conditions. dG isn't going to equal zero under standard conditions (because dGo would be zero too), but the equation dGo = -RTlnK assumes the reaction is in equilibrium I think (note we are using K and not Q), which is why dG=O.
Wait, so are you guys saying that the equation
dG = dG0 + RTlnK or dG = dG0 + RTlnQ
is the general equation that can be applied in ANY condition, and the equation
dG0 = -RTlnK
works only when it's under standard condition AND the reaction is in equilibrium?
And being under standard condition is a completely different matter than from being in equilibrium?
Actually, the standard condition means that it's occuring at 25C and at 1M, having having 1M will always make K=1, so wouldn't that make all standard gibbs free energy equal to 0? Or am I missing some sort of big concept here?