does the federal loan cover dental school expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raluca

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if federal loan is covering the cost of dental school tuition including living expenses. Are there limits on the amount that you can borrow? Is federal loan dependent on the credit history?
Can somebody answer these questions, please?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ....federal covers ur living expenses too ......though the university estimates it for the fed and also depends on the area u choose to live .....if the rent is more then your monthly estimate goes up...!

Hey ....federal covers ur living expenses too ......though the university estimates it for the fed and also depends on the area u choose to live .....if the rent is more then your monthly estimate goes up...!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all....
when we have to start loan process
is it FAFSA what you guys are talking about??
when i was interviewed at uop, they told me the earliest possible dates will be in january for federal loan....
so can you guys tell me how to proceed with this...thanks

Hi, thanks for posting Raluca, that's exactly what I was wondering.

Last edited:
Is federal loan also based on your income or spouse income? Does yours or spouse credit score affect the possibility of getting federal loan?
Thank you for your help

I believe the Stafford loans are non-credit based, but the Grad plus loan might require you to not have an adverse credit history.
I am not 100% sure about the grad plus. Even though I attended the UOP financial aid meeting I forgot the info.. I hope someone else who attended this meeting can help me in this!
I think most of the time we end up getting a grad plus loan since the cost of tuition are so high.

Remember that you must be a permanent resident to qualify for federal loans!

I believe the Stafford loans are non-credit based, but the Grad plus loan might require you to not have an adverse credit history.
I am not 100% sure about the grad plus. Even though I attended the UOP financial aid meeting I forgot the info.. I hope someone else who attended this meeting can help me in this!
I think most of the time we end up getting a grad plus loan since the cost of tuition are so high.

Remember that you must be a permanent resident to qualify for federal loans!

That's right!
Grad plus is credit based and one has to be US citizen/permanent resident to qualify.

What about stafford loans.... Are they based on your spouse income?

So we can apply for Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized AND the GRAD Plus? ( and yes i am a permanent resident)

!

Last edited:
So we can apply for Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized AND the GRAD Plus? ( and yes i am a permanent resident)

yaa. but subsidized is income based

Is federal loan also based on your income or spouse income? Does yours or spouse credit score affect the possibility of getting federal loan?
Thank you for your help

I believe that your credit score is only a small factor in the approval process. Most of the qualification is based on your ability to repay the loan in the future.