Does the msar show if schools require humanities recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
where could I find out which schools do without having to google like 55+ different med schools requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I did it from the Ivy-laced tower, it was

2 Nobel science winners, 1 Nobel literature winner, and 1 other ... usually a MacArthur genius or something. Has that changed or something?

I'm kidding. I would think a non-science letter is generally nice and shows you are somewhat appreciative of knowledge, beauty, thought outside of medicine/science, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, just tells you the minimum and maximum a school will accept.

Thanks, I read the FAQ and have been googling schools since. I got a question for you since you really know your stuff :). I have no non-science recommendation letters and like 5 stellar science profs one, some md letters, and a math professor's stellar letter. I've noticed that some schools count math as non-science and only one (creighton) says math is a science major, would it be worth just sending my math recommendation letter as a non-science letter to medical schools? Only other options would probably be some half-baked letter from a non-science prof who i didn't really connect with or not apply at those schools at all. What do you think?

Back in the day when I did it from the Ivy-laced tower, it was

2 Nobel science winners, 1 Nobel literature winner, and 1 other ... usually a MacArthur genius or something. Has that changed or something?

I'm kidding. I would think a non-science letter is generally nice and shows you are somewhat appreciative of knowledge, beauty, thought outside of medicine/science, no?

yea, true i didnt connect with any non-science profs though :( do you think a math letter would count as non-science? some schools do count it as non-science and only creighton explicitly says it doesn't. i dont want to cross off a ton of schools because of this non-science letter req, but at the same time I don't want to waste time applying to schools I will automatically get rejected bc of this issue for. help?

Don't know how individual schools handle it. For the COMs, like where Iam at, Math is a science.

I suggest going with those people you trust to write the best possible letters.

Thanks, I read the FAQ and have been googling schools since. I got a question for you since you really know your stuff :). I have no non-science recommendation letters and like 5 stellar science profs one, some md letters, and a math professor's stellar letter. I've noticed that some schools count math as non-science and only one (creighton) says math is a science major, would it be worth just sending my math recommendation letter as a non-science letter to medical schools? Only other options would probably be some half-baked letter from a non-science prof who i didn't really connect with or not apply at those schools at all. What do you think?

Reactions: 1 user