Does the Myers-Briggs personality test have any standing in actual psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daddycrate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apologize in advance, as I don't know whether I'm even asking this question correctly, whether I posted this in the correct section, or whether this is somehow offensive to ask. However, I was simply wondering if the Myers-Briggs personality test actually had any merit. It seems to be quite well-known, and people seem to put some level of confidence in it. I'm a high school student, and my teachers were actually forced to take this test and were given advice on how to teach more effectively based on their personality types. Again, I apologize for any mistakes I might have made. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apologize in advance, as I don't know whether I'm even asking this question correctly, whether I posted this in the correct section, or whether this is somehow offensive to ask. However, I was simply wondering if the Myers-Briggs personality test actually had any merit. It seems to be quite well-known, and people seem to put some level of confidence in it. I'm a high school student, and my teachers were actually forced to take this test and were given advice on how to teach more effectively based on their personality types. Again, I apologize for any mistakes I might have made. Thank you.

no.

Based off the work of Carl Jung, who said he got these ideas from a demon named Phil. Not even joking. Alright, maybe a lil. The demon's name was Philemon.

Reliabilities in the .5 range when people other than the publisher do the research. Essentially 50/50 chance you change types next time you take it. Not great for a personality test.

If you think a demon inspired test that says your entire personality can change each time you take it is scientific, then.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a high school student, and my teachers were actually forced to take this test and were given advice on how to teach more effectively based on their personality types.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

No, the Myers-Briggs is widely known as a joke among psychological scientists, though it continues to enjoy great commercial success in the corporate world. A consultant to my institution administered it as part of a "leadership" workshop, at which point I backed out of participating altogether.

Based off the work of Carl Jung, who said he got these ideas from a demon named Phil. Not even joking. Alright, maybe a lil. The demon's name was Philemon.

Reliabilities in the .5 range when people other than the publisher do the research. Essentially 50/50 chance you change types next time you take it. Not great for a personality test.

If you think a demon inspired test that says your entire personality can change each time you take it is scientific, then.....
Wow, I had a feeling it didn't really have any basis in actual psychology, but that's quite surprising. Thanks for your answer.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

No, the Myers-Briggs is widely known as a joke among psychological scientists, though it continues to enjoy great commercial success in the corporate world. A consultant to my institution administered it as part of a "leadership" workshop, at which point I backed out of participating altogether.
I see. Well then, it's unfortunate that such an ineffective test is so successful and well-known. Thank you for answering.

It is not a psychological test that Should ever be used for clinical purposes, but with an explanation of the flaws and limitations, I don't know if is that bad to use at these workshops. Although it is frustrating when I hear people talk about their Meyers-Briggs profile and want to know what I think. I don't usually challenge it much since they seem to enjoy what it says otherwise they wouldn't bringing it up. It's about the same dynamic with horoscopes and a psychologist would not use those either, but some people seem to find them fun.

Its improper to cite Jung with Myers-Briggs; the Myers does not truly follow Jung's work. If they proclaim that they are, well then they really twisted up what Jung meant.

I believe someone only said it was based off of his work. Which it was. They based it off of his "Psychological Types" manuscript. They did change a few things, but the core is there, and both are untested theories.

Funny timing. I was just interviewed for an RA position last week, and the lab manager wrapped up the interview with, "This isn't a big deal or anything, but I like to ask people...have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs test?"

I thought for a quick second of referring her to this thread. :) But I didn't. Because, first impressions and all that.

Would people here see it as a bit of a red flag that this potential employer- who works in clinical psych research- asks this question in interviews?

Funny timing. I was just interviewed for an RA position last week, and the lab manager wrapped up the interview with, "This isn't a big deal or anything, but I like to ask people...have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs test?"

I thought for a quick second of referring her to this thread. :) But I didn't. Because, first impressions and all that.

Would people here see it as a bit of a red flag that this potential employer- who works in clinical psych research- asks this question in interviews?

I don't know that I'd automatically think it to be a red flag, as the person could've gone any number of ways with it--obviously by asking your "type," but perhaps instead by using it (as a widely-known measure) to relate to the research they're doing, discussing the ways in which their research addresses problems with tests like the MB, etc.

Also, it is possible that this individual only has a laymans knowledge or understanding of the Meyers-Briggs. if they were using this as a clinical tool, that would be a bigger issue IMO.