Does the school "brand" matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepFriedWater

Eh
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do some much needed rehabilitation on my grades. I'm a non-trad who has been working for years in a totally different field from where I intended upon graduation with my biology degree.

My stats are pretty much 2.97 sGPA and 3.19 GPA.

Here's my question. I want to take a program to try and fix things. Would it kill me to take it at Pitt or WVU versus,...say, Hopkins? In other words, what's in a name? Does the branding actually make a difference in the end? I'm obviously an adult and certainly on my own in terms of paying for it, so I am trying to limit the bleed-out.

As an aside, I have done some plinking here and there re-taking courses over the past few years.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The big names are Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, and Goucher, with some others that you could read about elsewhere in this forum (apologies if you already know all this)..
Thanks for the suggestion!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bryn Mawr and Goucher Career-changer programs, rather than academic enhancement ones? I know Goucher says if I've been out of school a number of years there is a possibility that they would consider me, but considering that I completed all of the prereqs for medical school with my biology B.Sci., I would say it would not be a useful to apply there.

You're right. I must have just read "totally different field" in your original post and overlooked the biology degree part. There may be some wiggle room at those programs, but a cheaper local or state school would probably be best, as you first suggested. Good luck!
Thanks!