Does the school you go to really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H20Suga

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is a question for all current pharmacy students. I was wondering if the pharmacy school you went to makes a big difference when applying for a job or plays a big factor when trying to get into a good residency program? I'm utterly confused and hope that you all can enlighten me on this subject matter. As for residency programs, what counts towards you getting picked for your first choice? Is it grades, school reputation, summer internships, etc? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

H20Suga said:
As for residency programs, what counts towards you getting picked for your first choice? Is it grades, school reputation, summer internships, etc?

1. Who you know (Helps immensely if you have connections, so network, network, network)
2. Interview
3. Recommendation letters
4. Grades

Thats just my opinion but I think we can all agree that "who you know" is right up there at the top

phew, im glad u got grades down at #4 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i hear,

1. who you know
2. who you know
3. who you know
4. what you did in school (leadership roles etc)
5. grades
6. recommendations.

but you have to have a decent grade if you are bareling passing by with above 2.0, even though you know people it might not look good on you. try to keep it above 3.3

Don't choose a school because it's ranked and you think it will help you get a residency.

Do choose a school because of its curriculum, its experiential program, its extra-curriuclar opportunities, its research opportunities, and its opporuntunties for joint degrees (if you're interested).

If you're interested in being really involved in extra-curriculars or are interested in a joint degree, you wouldn't want to go to a brand new pharmacy school, because these things would not be in place yet.

kwakster928 said:
from what i hear,

1. who you know
2. who you know
3. who you know
4. what you did in school (leadership roles etc)
5. grades
6. recommendations.

but you have to have a decent grade if you are bareling passing by with above 2.0, even though you know people it might not look good on you. try to keep it above 3.3

It's not who YOU KNOW. It's WHO KNOWS YOU :thumbup:

DrPharm said:
It's not who YOU KNOW. It's WHO KNOWS YOU :thumbup:

exactly! haha good one. took the words right out of me. well done