Does this class sound like a great help for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class is called Cell and Molecular Bio and has Biochemistry and Genetics as a pre-requisites. The reason I'm asking is because it is not a required course for my major but I've read many time on SDN that cell bio is helpful for MCAT. I would rather not take it as it is taught by a rather tough professor.

Genetics at the molecular level as related to gene structure, function, variation and control with a comprehensive treatment of plant and animal cell structure and function.
This course begins with a review of basic biochemistry, and then goes on to examine the molecular details of some fundamental cellular processes. These include DNA packaging, DNA replication, protein synthesis, control of gene expression. Topics relating to how the eucaryotic cells of metazoans function in their multicellular habitat, including development of specialized cells and tissues, maintenance of tissue systems, cell signaling and stem cell tissue systems.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking the new or old MCAT? If you're taking the new, I would recommend looking through the AAMC MCAT breakdown and seeing if you're missing any of the subject that they cover. I found a few nasty surprises when I did that - like the fact that 25% of the Biology section is Anatomy & Physiology.

Are you taking the new or old MCAT? If you're taking the new, I would recommend looking through the AAMC MCAT breakdown and seeing if you're missing any of the subject that they cover. I found a few nasty surprises when I did that - like the fact that 25% of the Biology section is Anatomy & Physiology.

I'm taking the new one. I'm upset that our advising office haven't looked through the content and compared it to what classes are the most useful. And yeah I'm planning to take physiology as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Its' certainly very relevant. But I feel like Gen Bio and intro biochemistry would be enough for those topics. So I wouldn't do it at the cost of not adequately preparing for the other things:biochemistry, psychology, sociology, basic statistics. And it's true that most people's gen bio usually doesn't have all of the anatomy on the MCAT, but I don't think I'd take a full course to make up for it vs. just some self-study/review. I think the biggest thin that people will not prepare adequately for is psycho-biology which seems to be almost half of the new psych/social section and is often not taught in intro psych classes.

My opinions are based on this: https://www.aamc.org/students/services/343550/mcat2015.html
Each section has a fairly detailed section outline, so you can look through that to decide on what courses will be high-yield for you.

If you have already taken all of those classes and you're trying to get a review, I wouldn't take the class. If you haven't, I would take the course. Above all else, I would take physiology by itself.