Does this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoutnj19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am always grateful to have the input of you all.

I have previously posted my stats and such, and have been told that my numbers are fine, but to boost my ECs as much as I can.

I have around 60-70 hours of ER volunteering, assisting patients directly. However, I am looking to deepen my clinical experience.

I have the opportunity to work with a free health clinic here in Kansas City called JayDoc. Physicians provide free services to patients with financial difficulties, etc. Basically, I'd be connecting
patients with heath resources throughout the community by providing
referrals for services and helping with applications for drug assistance
programs.

I'm pretty much decided I'm going to do it whatever the case is, since it'll be good volunteer experience for an interview discussion, etc. However, I'm curious as to whether it counts as clinical experience.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really understand what the program does or what your role is in it.

I apologize if I was unclear.

JayDoc is a medical clinic in the Kansas City area that provides free healthcare to the medically underserved. JayDoc is staffed by volunteer physicians and residents who, assisted by first through fourth year medical students, treat patients during evening hours during the week.

It provides urgent and preventive care services. Through the efforts of student volunteers in Social Services, JayDoc also equips patients with referrals to other Safety Net Clinics so they can find a medical home for ongoing health care.

What I would be doing as a volunteer would be the latter of the previously stated activities. I would assist these patients in referring them to other community health resources that would benefit them, as well as helping them with applications for state/government provided health services.

Members don't see this ad :)
refer to LizzyM's sig: if youre close enough to smell the patients, its clinical exp.

though.. seems like no medicine is going on. so... something in between i guess.

Yea, I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure.

I worked for about a year with the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority in Massachusetts. It's a state-run public health initiative charged with providing access to health insurance to Massachusetts residents. I launched their Public Information Unit, along with the Communications Officer, to assist the public with all the legal jargon and to best communicate the insurance options available.

So, it seems like I'd be doing more of the same here. While it's not officially 'clinical experience' persay (i.e. not a hospital setting), it is an opportunity to assist patients with obtaining care.

What do you think would be the best way to spin such experiences in a PS or an interview?

Any ideas how my experience with health insurance and the like would affect my chances?

Read my last reply for details.

if you find the experiences meaningful and they enhance your understanding of being a physician, then do it. Basically what adcoms are looking for (and this is quoting NYMC) is

"So what do they want? they want you to be convinced -- and then to convince them -- that you have the aptitudes, interests, and motivation to be a good physician. They want you to be convinced -- and then to convince them -- that you've tested the waters and know that it's right for you. To do that you need to actually have done some things -- research, hospital volunteer, tutoring, shadowing, AIDS education, VISTA, Peace Corp, whatever -- and that you have:
  • Learned more about yourself
  • Learned more about medicine
  • Learned more about people
  • Learned more about science
and had fun doing it. They want you to be convinced -- and then to convince them -- that your goal is your own professional development and not simply getting into medical school."

I have the opportunity to work with a free health clinic here in Kansas City called JayDoc. Physicians provide free services to patients with financial difficulties, etc. Basically, I'd be connecting patients with heath resources throughout the community by providing referrals for services and helping with applications for drug assistance programs.

I'm pretty much decided I'm going to do it whatever the case is, since it'll be good volunteer experience for an interview discussion, etc. However, I'm curious as to whether it counts as clinical experience.

The role you describe for yourself sounds a bit more like "community service" than clinical, but you have a great opportunity to get some more clinical experience in the very place you'll be working. Put in some extra shifts, if you can, and ask to shadow the MDs and observe medical exams and patient interviews. Hang around the nurses and ask if there's any way you can help out. (You can also try these things on your regular work shifts if it's a really slow day and you have hardly any people to see.)

If you are sincere, hard-working and respectful of the clinic staff, and they see that you're genuinely interested in learning more about what they're doing, I bet they'll open up to you before long. You can get some great experience that way.

Good luck.

I volunteered at two free medical clinics in two states during my undergrad years.

IMO, this is a perfect setting for clinical experience. Not only do you get the chance to observe (shadow) doctors in the clinical setting, but you interact with the neediest of patients--those who can't afford healthcare but need help. I was given the responsibilities of taking histories, translating, weighing patients, taking temps, so it can get very hands-on. It can also be a community service, but is certainly not limited to it if you are given the freedom I was.

I was able to learn alot, from interacting with patients, to translating (Spanish), to filling out paperwork. I wasn't restricted to the job they needed me for. Works great in the app. Do it! :thumbup: