Does this look like a joke....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay if I put down this phlebotomy class I took last summer as an EC? I did 60 hours of clinical rotations at 2 hospitals, a free clinic, and a laboratory. I got my phlebotomy license in the mail a few months ago. I've been trying to look for a job, and I know it's only been a few months, but I can't find any jobs that have times that are compatible with my school schedule, and my classes are number 1 for me.

So basically, does it look like a joke if I went through all this training and crap, got my license, but didn't even get a job? Or should I leave a comment at the end of the description saying, "I plan on getting a job soon" or something? Because I plan too, but maybe the summer before I start med school or something because honestly there's just no way I can fit in a part time job during school and still keep my grades up and juggle other ECs.

Thanks for your advice in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's totally appropriate to list it as an EC. It probably shouldn't be one of your "most important" or whatever they call them, but I think it's important enough to at least list. I don't think you need to say that you're planning on getting a job. Just describe what you did, and if you get a job before your app goes out then perfect, you can say that.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh one more thing..... what would I put it down as? Like Work Experience, Volunteer experience? I wasn't paid, the clinical rotations were just part of the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay if I put down this phlebotomy class I took last summer as an EC? I did 60 hours of clinical rotations at 2 hospitals, a free clinic, and a laboratory. I got my phlebotomy license in the mail a few months ago. I've been trying to look for a job, and I know it's only been a few months, but I can't find any jobs that have times that are compatible with my school schedule, and my classes are number 1 for me.

So basically, does it look like a joke if I went through all this training and crap, got my license, but didn't even get a job? Or should I leave a comment at the end of the description saying, "I plan on getting a job soon" or something? Because I plan too, but maybe the summer before I start med school or something because honestly there's just no way I can fit in a part time job during school and still keep my grades up and juggle other ECs.

Thanks for your advice in advance! :)
Just talk about the clinical rotations. It's patient exposure right? :)
Think of it like an internship.

I'm sure you have memorable stuff to talk about from your experience in training as well.

And of course, plenty of time to get a part time job where you can use your phlebotomy skills if you feel it will strengthen your application.

If at the end you don't think it's a defining part of your application, focus on some other EC when you're writing "the most memorable".

Reactions: 1 user
You can honestly say that you're "looking for a phlebotomy job that is compatible with your academic schedule"

Reactions: 1 user