Does this make me stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. On a lot of these threads I see everyone trying to figure out what makes them stand out to Allopathic MD schools. I am curious if this particular extracurricular of mine is typical or "unique".

Currently, I am a sophomore at a local state school. Much before starting my undergraduate studies, I have had the passion to travel, learn about various cultures, etc. So since high school I have been working and saving money to go on three study abroad trips. So far, I have been to Guatemala, Brazil, and Ireland for both pre-health study abroad and non-pre health study abroad programs. I would go in depth on what I did in each program, but I chose those specific programs and countries because I thought they would not only satisfy my academic curiosity but also because I had a genuine interest in the culture of those areas.

Back on campus, I actively promote study abroad and serve as a study abroad peer mentor.

Aside from this, I do various other pre-health related school activities such as being an honors college mentor and tour guide, research since freshman year, TA for a biology course, volunteering at a hospital since middle school, and VP of a pre-health organization. I also take part in South Asian dancing and cultural activities on campus.

But overall, I feel that budgeting and pursuing these studying abroads have been one of my proudest and life-changing experience as an undergrad so far. Currently I'm broke, but I am working and saving up on future trips (even if it may not be through the study abroad dept). Is this what makes me unique? What does it mean to be unique?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With 45,000 applications going out each year, I don't think any applicant is truly unique. Focus on what you're passionate about and don't worry about whether or not it's unique. Uniqueness is overrated in my opinion. Passion, hard work, perseverance, introspection, adaptability, and critical thinking are all more important.

Reactions: 4 users
I also have done a bit of traveling (short-term study abroads in China and Spain, semester-long study abroad in Chile), and while I think my study abroad experiences were incredible and I learned a lot and changed greatly as a person, I don't think they make me unique. A lot of people study abroad. But just because it's not unique doesn't mean it's not a great thing to have on your application.

Also, kudos for figuring out all the finances yourself. I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for everything, so I can't imagine having to figure all that out myself :p

Members don't see this ad :)
You are unique, just like everybody else.

Reactions: 6 users
I'll play devil's advocate and say that it makes you look privileged.

Service to others less fortunate than you makes you stand out.

I have had the passion to travel, learn about various cultures, etc. So since high school I have been working and saving money to go on three study abroad trips. So far, I have been to Guatemala, Brazil, and Ireland for both pre-health study abroad and non-pre health study abroad programs. I would go in depth on what I did in each program, but I chose those specific programs and countries because I thought they would not only satisfy my academic curiosity but also because I had a genuine interest in the culture of those areas.

Reactions: 7 users
With 45,000 applications going out each year, I don't think any applicant is truly unique. Focus on what you're passionate about and don't worry about whether or not it's unique. Uniqueness is overrated in my opinion. Passion, hard work, perseverance, introspection, adaptability, and critical thinking are all more important.
You are unique, just like everybody else.

Olympic and professional athletes, professional musicians, research legends (numerous publications at amazing journals), and surprisingly professional poker players seem to consistently be unique applicants.

Sorry OP, you're an interesting applicant but not unique.

It's not all that unique - traveling to foreign countries has become the go-to "premed activity" that a lot of people use to try and bolster their applications, without realizing that everyone has caught on. ("the 4.0, 40 MCAT who delivered babies in Africa" is a common joke at my uni to satirize the typical premed gunner) It's kind of a lazy attempt to do something impressive, if you look at the context in which most premeds attempt to use it. I had to talk myself out of pursuing these kinds of trips because I realized I thought of it more as a resume booster than as a meaningful way to help others.

Now, that being said, it sounds like you've done this stuff because you are genuinely passionate about it, NOT because you just wanted it on your resume. This is absolutely vital, and is generally the deciding factor on how your ECs are perceived. If you can articulate why this helped you appreciate other people, increased your empathy and desire to help others, and will contribute to your long-term development as a physician, THEN this becomes a very valuable EC. Not because it's necessarily different by nature, but because it shows to Adcoms that you are introspective and have been able to discover your passions, and then pursue them in productive and meaningful ways.

So, to echo @WedgeDawg, "passion, hard work, perseverance, introspection, adaptability, and critical thinking" are what make ECs stand out to Adcoms, not simply the nature of the activity in and of itself.

Reactions: 1 users

Win nobel prize or fields medal or macarthur genius. Or donate both your kidneys to save a rwandan child. Then maybe you'll be unique. That's definitely not overrated :p.

Win nobel prize or fields medal or macarthur genius. Or donate both your kidneys to save a rwandan child. Then maybe you'll be unique. That's definitely not overrated :p.

Wait a second, if he donates both kidneys he'll die right?

Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. On a lot of these threads I see everyone trying to figure out what makes them stand out to Allopathic MD schools. I am curious if this particular extracurricular of mine is typical or "unique".

Currently, I am a sophomore at a local state school. Much before starting my undergraduate studies, I have had the passion to travel, learn about various cultures, etc. So since high school I have been working and saving money to go on three study abroad trips. So far, I have been to Guatemala, Brazil, and Ireland for both pre-health study abroad and non-pre health study abroad programs. I would go in depth on what I did in each program, but I chose those specific programs and countries because I thought they would not only satisfy my academic curiosity but also because I had a genuine interest in the culture of those areas.

Back on campus, I actively promote study abroad and serve as a study abroad peer mentor.

Aside from this, I do various other pre-health related school activities such as being an honors college mentor and tour guide, research since freshman year, TA for a biology course, volunteering at a hospital since middle school, and VP of a pre-health organization. I also take part in South Asian dancing and cultural activities on campus.

But overall, I feel that budgeting and pursuing these studying abroads have been one of my proudest and life-changing experience as an undergrad so far. Currently I'm broke, but I am working and saving up on future trips (even if it may not be through the study abroad dept). Is this what makes me unique? What does it mean to be unique?

Thanks for the help!

To be frank, not really. Having a diverse traveling experience enriches your soul and makes you interesting to talk to on interviews, but ask yourself how much of your time is spent on helping others. There are some students who go to the same village in Eastern Africa for three consecutive summers -- repeat trips to ensure sustainability of whatever project they started. But normally, one wouldn't do that unless he/she truly enjoys this. With that said, not everything you do in college should be for the sole purpose of making yourself a unique applicant and it is perfectly okay to do something for yourself :)

certainly would be unique if he didn't though going thru medical school attached to a dialysis machine could be, at the very least, annoying

Peritoneal dialysis by night. Uremic med student aspiring to ortho by day, bro. The modern medical Bruce Wayne.

I was told that I should stand out or have something awesome on my application from a couple of residents I met at the hospital. In the end I never really figured out what they meant. There are amazing people out there like the residents I spoke with but most people are ordinary guys and gals IMO. Just be yourself.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help!

I think it is totally unique and you should include it :) If they're not pre-med though, you don't have to explain them in detail unless asked to.

Rule of thumb is that everybody thinks what they do is unique but I guarantee you that either someone else is doing the exact same thing or somebody else has done it before. IMO, what's important isn't the be unique per se but to be devoted.

I totally agree. "It's OK to be different, and it's also OK not to". We have always try to look for the "special", but I think being normal and not unique is also good!

Hi HopefulDoc,

I feel I can answer your question. I also studied abroad extensively while in undergrad, both on health-based and non-health-based programs. Those experiences were the most rewarding of my entire college career. I also became semi-bilingual thanks to a few of them.

To directly answer your question, no, it does not make you unique. I would say most people I interviewed with had studied abroad at least once. However, I did make it the focus of my application, and I believe I was successful in doing this. My essays and "meaningful experiences" focused on study abroad, and my interviewers were always curious. I did this for a few reasons: I actually discovered I was interested in medicine while studying abroad. I furthered my medical interests while studying abroad. I had something TO SHOW for studying abroad. (This point I think is the most important. Lounging around in Europe is all great and good, but did you improve the lives of others? Did you improve YOURSELF?) Studying abroad also allows you to create a meaningful timeline of growth throughout your undergraduate career.

I didn't have the highest GPA and MCAT of the group (3.59, 30), but I tried to show myself as an open-minded, passionate, and excited individual, who was still serious about her studies.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if that was received poorly or well by the admission committee and my interviewers, but hey, I got my top choice medical school.

At the end of the day, you are only a sophomore. Your "vision" of what kind of a pre-medical student will come and be written when you are filling out your AMCAS, because well, you will be a different person. As for now, your grades are the most important thing.

Edit: Last note, which other commenters have mentioned. I always mentioned how privileged and lucky I was to be able to travel the world and learn. (Which, I truly was, thanks to school scholarships.)