Does who you shadow matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not comparing a cardiologist vs an ER doc, for example, but less "traditional" specialties.

Like a dermatologist that mostly does cosmetic work at his practice or a pediatric psychiatrist. Any different from shadowing a surgeon (as far as adcoms' perception and a potential discount of my experiences are concerned)?

Members don't see this ad.

It does somewhat matter; broader exposure is better. However often times shadowing is a "yes" or "no" type deal when it comes to admissions.

Not comparing a cardiologist vs an ER doc, for example, but less "traditional" specialties.

Like a dermatologist that mostly does cosmetic work at his practice or a pediatric psychiatrist. Any different from shadowing a surgeon (as far as adcoms' perception and a potential discount of my experiences are concerned)?
Who you shadow doesn't just help you "check the box" on your application, it also helps you field common questions during interviews. To help with the latter goal, shadowing docs who are interacting with conscious patients is more helpful (though watching surgeries is fun), as is observing a physician providing longitudinal care. If the last three specialties were your options, I'd pick the pediatric psychiatrist or a surgeon primarily in an office-based setting, to minimize the chance of adcomms mentally discounting your experience.