Does your school factor clinical grades into GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuackaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says... does your school use the grades you earn in your 3rd/4th yr clinical rotations to calculate your overall GPA? I'm not sure if it's the standard or not, but ours doesn't... what your GPA is at the end of year 2 is EXACTLY what it will be at the end of year 4 because your clinical grades do not influence your GPA at all. In fact, our school only uses H/P/F for clinicals which makes it better for some, worse for others when trying to justify a "P" versus a HP (which we don't have) to program directors.
I wasn't sure if all schools did the same but was a little bummed to learn that all my great grades in the clinical years won't help make up for my average preclinical years as far as GPA is concerned...

Members don't see this ad.

Ours does. We still get a number grade for our clinical rotations.

My school doesn't. only H/P/F in clinical years

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't. only H/P/F in clinical years

NYCOM/NYIT-COM does. Though students receive H/P/F, there's always a number score. Years 1-3 has weight on class rank/GPA. Boards scores are also taken into account.

Our fourth year grades = P/F only.

Wow... I really just kinda assumed everyone did it like my school does so that everything was standardized and there was no improvement after 2nd year but now I'm learning that t least some (if not most) schools allow clinical grades to influence GPA. In a way I feel cheated... someone who did average (like I did) can actually improve on their "averageness" by getting good clinical grades but my honors across the board in 3rd year won't change a thing and I will now be considered "inferior" to this aforementioned person when PDs look at my GPA vs theirs. I sure wish this wasn't the case but another hurdle to jump I guess...

NYCOM/NYIT-COM does. Though students receive H/P/F, there's always a number score. Years 1-3 has weight on class rank/GPA. Boards scores are also taken into account.

Our fourth year grades = P/F only.

Our school never calculates a GPA, and we have no class rank either. I wouldn't obsess over this. PDs will be taking a much closer look at your actual 3rd year grades than any 'GPA' your school comes up with.

Wow... I really just kinda assumed everyone did it like my school does so that everything was standardized and there was no improvement after 2nd year but now I'm learning that t least some (if not most) schools allow clinical grades to influence GPA. In a way I feel cheated... someone who did average (like I did) can actually improve on their "averageness" by getting good clinical grades but my honors across the board in 3rd year won't change a thing and I will now be considered "inferior" to this aforementioned person when PDs look at my GPA vs theirs. I sure wish this wasn't the case but another hurdle to jump I guess...

i don't think most PDs will look at you being "inferior" if you had across the board honors on your rotations. most PDs don't care that much about your preclinical grades/GPA anyway. those clinical years and LORs are way more important. stand tall!

Well, I'm essentially banking on what you're saying is true... at least I hope, lol! It's just a little frustrating personally that there isn't a standard really so everyone can be compared on the same level but maybe what gets to me is that I don't think my school does all (or even most) it can to paint their students in a competitive light (this is just one example BTW). By my own doing I didn't achieve as highly as I wanted in preclinical and I wish the opportunity was there to show improvement (reflected in GPA) now that we are in a phase that is truly more "my style" and where I excel. Oh well, guess it would have been good to know before I started but not sure it would have made any difference... just venting.
i don't think most PDs will look at you being "inferior" if you had across the board honors on your rotations. most PDs don't care that much about your preclinical grades/GPA anyway. those clinical years and LORs are way more important. stand tall!