Dog During Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let me start off by explaining my situation...

Most people will probably think I am crazy for wanting to adopt a puppy (not SUPER young, 6 months old) when I am taking the MCAT in 6 days. HOWEVER, my reasons for doing so (besides always wanting a dog)...sorry if this is too long

-The dog I would like to adopt is most likely going to be adopted if I do not adopt him very soon (he is currently on hold for me until tomorrow). If this was not the case, I would definitely wait.

-A lot of what is hindering my MCAT scores relate to problems with anxiety. I have always had anxiety problems, not just MCAT related. I also do not live near my close friends, so I am isolated most of the time which really takes a toll on me. I have read many articles on the benefits of having a dog on anxiety, as well as depression. I think this would indirectly help improve my score through treating some of my anxiety. And no, this is not my sole reason for wanting a dog.

-Being home to care for the puppy his whole first week will not be a problem at all, as I am confined to studying at my apartment and will have time to care for the puppy during breaks

-I do live with my boyfriend (but he was in summer classes so I didn't see him very often), but he has the week off so he will be able to help me out.

-FINALLY, after I am all applied for medical school, I have a whole year off of only working part time, so plenty of time to care for a dog. If I do (hopefully) get into my medical school of choice, my apartment is only half a mile away.

After all that being said, I'm just wondering anyone's opinion, or if anyone had/has a kind of similar situation...

Members don't see this ad.

First off, you need to include a picture of the puppy when askign advice about it!

Second, what are you planning on doing with the puppy during your clinical years? you'd be in hospital/clinics all day long

Reactions: 1 user
First off, you need to include a picture of the puppy when askign advice about it!

Second, what are you planning on doing with the puppy during your clinical years? you'd be in hospital/clinics all day long

I thought about that. By then he will no longer be a puppy. I also live with my boyfriend, who generally has a normal schedule, so he will be around when I am not. And since I'm only half a mile from the hospital I figure I could go back to my apartment during breaks to walk him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about that. By then he will no longer be a puppy. I also live with my boyfriend, who generally has a normal schedule, so he will be around when I am not. And since I'm only half a mile from the hospital I figure I could go back to my apartment during breaks to walk him.
I just think the benefits would outweigh potential drawbacks knowing myself and my anxiety problems. And I love dogs :)

Dogs are one of the few things that put my anxiety at ease. That and my kitty. I totally get it.

Reactions: 1 users

awww hes so cute!!!! :-D
That sounds like a sound plan, provided you've thought about the financial costs and what not.

Also, what happens if your boyfriend doesn't move with you to med school?

Dogs are one of the few things that put my anxiety at ease. That and my kitty. I totally get it.

When my dad was married to his second wife, they had 6 dogs (he had a lot of land). So I am very familiar with what goes into caring for a dog at least.

And I would get a cat, but I like dogs more and I'm allergic to cats

awww hes so cute!!!! :-D
That sounds like a sound plan, provided you've thought about the financial costs and what not.

Also, what happens if your boyfriend doesn't move with you to med school?
We've already signed a lease together for the apartment that is half a mile from the medical school I wish to go to :)

And I already have a secured job for when I'm done applying for medical school and whatnot

I want one of these guys during med school

images

Pretty hard to come home stressed when that's waiting for you

Reactions: 3 users
We've already signed a lease together for the apartment that is half a mile from the medical school I wish to go to :)

Just to keep you thinking... What if you don't get in to the med school you want? What if you move across the country?

I think you getting a dog is great, I just want to make sure you've had a discussion with your boyfriend about your future career and how it relates to your future together. And whether that might influence whether or not you get the dog.

Just to keep you thinking... What if you don't get in to the med school you want? What if you move across the country?

I think you getting a dog is great, I just want to make sure you've had a discussion with your boyfriend about your future career and how it relates to your future together. And whether that might influence whether or not you get the dog.

Oh ya we have definitely had that discussion (been together a little over 3 years). We have very similar life goals, and we have talked about me getting a dog. I think my chances are the school I'm applying to, which is in-state, are pretty good as long as I at least do average on the MCAT (3.9 GPA, lots of volunteer work both medical and not, shadowing, strong letters of rec, research, honors thesis, etc). If by chance I don't get in I am going to re-apply the following year.

One of the good things about over-analyzing everything :)

Do it! Sounds like you've made up your mind already :)

Have you ever had a dog before? You said your dad had 6, but have YOU ever been solely responsible for a puppy? I know you'll have your boyfriend's help this week, but it's just concerning to me that your MCAT is 6 days away. While a dog is very helpful for anxiety and all the things you mentioned, initially getting a dog adjusted to a new home and training a PUPPY can actually increase anxiety. 6 month old pups are a handful, my dog (a lab) was almost uncontrollable at that age. Someone had to be watching him at all times because he would try to eat anything and everything. Even ate a hole in the drywall when no one was watching him.

Basically, while I love dogs and I think anyone with anxiety issues would benefit from a pet, I don't think it's the right choice to get one 6 days before an important exam. Unless your boyfriend is 100% on board with handling the dog the vast majority of the time this week and allowing you to study in peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, let me start off by explaining my situation...

Most people will probably think I am crazy for wanting to adopt a puppy (not SUPER young, 6 months old) when I am taking the MCAT in 6 days. HOWEVER, my reasons for doing so (besides always wanting a dog)...sorry if this is too long

-The dog I would like to adopt is most likely going to be adopted if I do not adopt him very soon (he is currently on hold for me until tomorrow). If this was not the case, I would definitely wait.

-A lot of what is hindering my MCAT scores relate to problems with anxiety. I have always had anxiety problems, not just MCAT related. I also do not live near my close friends, so I am isolated most of the time which really takes a toll on me. I have read many articles on the benefits of having a dog on anxiety, as well as depression. I think this would indirectly help improve my score through treating some of my anxiety. And no, this is not my sole reason for wanting a dog.

-Being home to care for the puppy his whole first week will not be a problem at all, as I am confined to studying at my apartment and will have time to care for the puppy during breaks

-I do live with my boyfriend (but he was in summer classes so I didn't see him very often), but he has the week off so he will be able to help me out.

-FINALLY, after I am all applied for medical school, I have a whole year off of only working part time, so plenty of time to care for a dog. If I do (hopefully) get into my medical school of choice, my apartment is only half a mile away.

After all that being said, I'm just wondering anyone's opinion, or if anyone had/has a kind of similar situation...
Just wondering how this all ended up? I'm currently thinking about adopting a dog as well for the same reasons you mentioned... Just curious how this whole process is going for you! :)

I have two doggies and I'm so glad I adopted both :) not in med school yet though

Yay for pups! Seems I need to go get my own furry friend. Best of luck to you!!

For what it is worth, I am not a med student (yet!!). But I have been asking the students at each of my interviews about bringing my puppy with me next year. She is 9 months old right now and I'm on my gap year but I live alone so she's had to learn to stay in her crate while I am at work. The current med students all that you'll have no problem with a dog in med school. They said it is something extra to think about and you might end up doing more studying at home rather than in the lib, but at each of the schools I have gone to visit, they say it isn't a problem and a bunch of people already in the schools have dogs. If people have children in med school, you can manage a pup. Just spend the time before school training the dog to be able to stay home while you are at work/class and you should be fine.

For what it is worth, I am not a med student (yet!!). But I have been asking the students at each of my interviews about bringing my puppy with me next year. She is 9 months old right now and I'm on my gap year but I live alone so she's had to learn to stay in her crate while I am at work. The current med students all that you'll have no problem with a dog in med school. They said it is something extra to think about and you might end up doing more studying at home rather than in the lib, but at each of the schools I have gone to visit, they say it isn't a problem and a bunch of people already in the schools have dogs. If people have children in med school, you can manage a pup. Just spend the time before school training the dog to be able to stay home while you are at work/class and you should be fine.
Thanks for info! I prefer to study at home with a cute fuzzball than at a freakishly quiet library anyways :)

I stayed with a med student during one of my interviews and she had the most precious dog. She manages fine with the dog. I imagine her significant other helps, but he is also in law school so I imagine his schedule isn't great either (but he probably has more flexibility to work from home). It's manageable for sure, but it takes a bit more effort. Gotta weigh the rewards of having a wonderfully doggy with the added responsibility.

Definitely! More responsibility for sure, but totally worth it! Who else is going to be there for you when you have those stressful med school breakdowns?

I would not change anything about my lifestyle 6 days before a major standardized test. Personally, I think that it is a poor judgement call driven by an arbitrary clock. There is certainly nothing wrong with owning a pet and going to medical school. But, introducing more variables the week before the MCAT? That is just silly.

I would not change anything about my lifestyle 6 days before a major standardized test. Personally, I think that it is a poor judgement call driven by an arbitrary clock. There is certainly nothing wrong with owning a pet and going to medical school. But, introducing more variables the week before the MCAT? That is just silly.
Haha this is old news...I dug this thread up from a year agobut it seems that it worked out just fine for her!

As for me, I've already taken the MCAT and waiting patiently for Oct 15th for an acceptance. Merely looking for an unfaltering, loving, companion for medical school :)

I would suggest a sweet senior doggy. Low maintenance and loving :)

I would suggest a sweet senior doggy. Low maintenance and loving :)
I don't think I could handle the heartbreak of losing a pet though (although I know it has to happen eventually), especially if it were to happen during school :(

I'm curious what those who have dogs did/do when youre in your clinical years and aren't home for more than 12 hours at a time if you live alone or with another med student.

I'd wait till after the MCAT. Reward yourself for your hard work, and don't distract yourself in the coming week. There will always be more cute puppies, lol.

That being said, as soon as I know where I will be going for med school, a cat is going to happen.

I'm curious what those who have dogs did/do when youre in your clinical years and aren't home for more than 12 hours at a time if you live alone or with another med student.
Doggy daycare, dog walking service, etc.
Except my dog bites strangers so he'll have to go to daycare or have a dog walker that's waaaaaaay comfortable with introductions lol.

I doubt most medical students can afford doggy daycare or a dog walking service on anything like a regular basis. As a graduate student with a 1.5 year old puppy, I sure can't.
I guess it varies. I'm in an animal rescue organization and I've been connected with many great services that are incredibly affordable. ($20/day for boarding, $50/week for daycare, etc).

Last edited:
Who would put their dog in daycare every day? Get a roommate(s) who loves dogs and will walk him or let him out every now and then.

Last edited:
Haha this is old news...I dug this thread up from a year agobut it seems that it worked out just fine for her!

As for me, I've already taken the MCAT and waiting patiently for Oct 15th for an acceptance. Merely looking for an unfaltering, loving, companion for medical school :)

I'm not sure how taking the MCAT 3 times and not improving and not getting into medical school last time qualifies as "working out just fine".

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/not-even-worth-applying-is-it.1164390/

I'm not sure how taking the MCAT 3 times and not improving and not getting into medical school last time qualifies as "working out just fine".

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/not-even-worth-applying-is-it.1164390/
Andddd your post is at all helpful how? There seem to be two types of people on this site... Those who encourage and help each other, constructively, and those who seem to get pleasure out of being ass-hats under the guise of "honesty". You, sir, seem to be the latter. Yes, I've seen that she hasn't scored what she was hoping but that has nothing to do with this post. This is about the feasibility of having a dog while in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Andddd your post is at all helpful how? There seem to be two types of people on this site... Those who encourage and help each other, constructively, and those who seem to get pleasure out of being ass-hats under the guise of "honesty". You, sir, seem to be the latter. Yes, I've seen that she hasn't scored what she was hoping but that has nothing to do with this post. This is about the feasibility of having a dog while in medical school.

This thread is about getting a job 6 days prior to taking the MCAT. The entirety of the OP is about concerns of getting a dog 6 days prior to the MCAT. While the title is misleading (as is you necrobumping this thread), there are no questions about having a dog in medical school. It is directly relevant to this thread that the OP did not do very well on their MCAT and did not get into medical school. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you, other than that you should work on your reading comprehension.

One of us has experience working on an admissions committee. One of us has a stack of applications on his desk right now and has spent the better part of 3000+ posts helping largely pre-meds with this process. The other, calls out another poster, name calls, posts off topic and necrobumps. Ya, ok.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm happy you want to adopt but I still don't think it would be fair to the dog. Taking care of a dog, especially with high energy breeds, can be demanding. I take my husky to the dog park at least once a day. So it might doable sort of I don't think you are in the best place to do it. Maybe wait until you are more settled.

Did you actually talk to any 3rd or 4th years? There are times on rotations that you are at the hospital for 16 hours straight and can't make it home to take the dog out. Just understand that you either need to live with someone who can step up when you're too busy, or you'll be shelling out a lot for doggy daycare. I only know a couple med students here who have a dog and they pay for daycare. It's doable, but you also have to ask yourself if it makes sense for you financially and if it's fair for the dog.

Mimelim knows what's up, not saying he can't be wrong but you bashing him comes across as straight up ignorant (and borderline trollish) and shows your greenness to SDN. He's helped a lot of people on here and I'd take his .02 into more consideration than yours.

This thread is about getting a job 6 days prior to taking the MCAT. The entirety of the OP is about concerns of getting a dog 6 days prior to the MCAT. While the title is misleading (as is you necrobumping this thread), there are no questions about having a dog in medical school. It is directly relevant to this thread that the OP did not do very well on their MCAT and did not get into medical school. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you, other than that you should work on your reading comprehension.

One of us has experience working on an admissions committee. One of us has a stack of applications on his desk right now and has spent the better part of 3000+ posts helping largely pre-meds with this process. The other, calls out another poster, name calls, posts off topic and necrobumps. Ya, ok.
Haha, lord help me, I hope I didn't apply to your medical school. Bless the souls that have. Me, my future dog, and my above average reading comprehension will be over here eating a doughnut and no longer feeding into your already inflated ego. Have a fabulous day. :)

Did you actually talk to any 3rd or 4th years? There are times on rotations that you are at the hospital for 16 hours straight and can't make it home to take the dog out. Just understand that you either need to live with someone who can step up when you're too busy, or you'll be shelling out a lot for doggy daycare. I only know a couple med students here who have a dog and they pay for daycare. It's doable, but you also have to ask yourself if it makes sense for you financially and if it's fair for the dog.

Yes I did and what you're saying is absolutely true! It needs to be considered BEFORE getting the dog (please think before because it isn't fair to the dog if you don't). They said it is doable, but even more challenges come up. They said having roommates/significant other that can help is optimal. Having thought about it before, I also talked to my parents (two doctors who each had dogs during med school). They both expressed the challenges but actually encouraged me to get the dog since I am living on my own now. They said that if I need them to take the dog for an extended period of time, they will happily do that. So I guess to answer your question, yes I have thought about this. It makes it even harder, but it isn't impossible. Everyone needs to figure out an individual solution but they can do it!!

I wanted a dog but there is no way I could properly care for one with grad school and work, so I compromised and got a cat. I had never had one before but honestly cats are great - he it down to chill whenever I am home but as long as I leave some food/water/toys he doesn't mind when I'm gone all day.

Haha, lord help me, I hope I didn't apply to your medical school. Bless the souls that have. Me, my future dog, and my above average reading comprehension will be over here eating a doughnut and no longer feeding into your already inflated ego. Have a fabulous day. :)

I have no idea how you found mimelim's post to be arrogant and insulting. He actually answered the question directly. He correctly addressed that having a dog/puppy few days before the MCAT is a bad idea and strengthened his case by illustrating OP's current predicament.

Listen, talking about dogs and puppies is great, but attacking someone who has admissions experience for directly addressing the question is juvenile. And it also doesn't help your case when you bumped the thread and tried to steer away from the main topic just because the title sounded great.

Being blunt and honest isn't arrogant.

I have no idea how you found mimelim's post to be arrogant and insulting. He actually answered the question directly. He correctly addressed that having a dog/puppy few days before the MCAT is a bad idea and strengthened his case by illustrating OP's current predicament.

Listen, talking about dogs and puppies is great, but attacking someone who has admissions experience for directly addressing the question is juvenile. And it also doesn't help your case when you bumped the thread and tried to steer away from the main topic just because the title sounded great.

Being blunt and honest isn't arrogant.
So, here's the deal... I want a get a dog. I thought to myself, "Is this possible? Wonder what someone on SDN has to say about it." So I typed 'dogs in medical school' into my search box. This thread popped up. It's a year old but didn't want to start my own thread. I posed a question for OP. She answered. Then, Dr. Mimelim swoops in, in all of his doctor-ly, adcom, glory and puts in his two cents. That's cool. But he goes off topic and references a separate thread of the OP's which has nothing to do with getting a dog. He's condescending and not all at all helpful in this sense. Is he helpful to other people? No doubt. This case? No. I want a dog. I wanted to know if OP was able to keep her sanity, and her dog, alive. She did. End of story.

P.s. Everyone, I'm getting a pug and we're going to be very happy together.

So, here's the deal... I want a get a dog. I thought to myself, "Is this possible? Wonder what someone on SDN has to say about it." So I typed 'dogs in medical school' into my search box. This thread popped up. It's a year old but didn't want to start my own thread. I posed a question for OP. She answered. Then, Dr. Mimelim swoops in, in all of his doctor-ly, adcom, glory and puts in his two cents. That's cool. But he goes off topic and references a separate thread of the OP's which has nothing to do with getting a dog. He's condescending and not all at all helpful in this sense. Is he helpful to other people? No doubt. This case? No. I want a dog. I wanted to know if OP was able to keep her sanity, and her dog, alive. She did. End of story.

P.s. Everyone, I'm getting a pug and we're going to be very happy together.

I understand your concerns and yes, the question of having a dog in medical school is an important one and well worth exploring. But when threads are bumped halfway, people, like mimelim, me, few others, tend to look at the first post and respond to OP's question directly. We don't look at the timestamp below readily so the advice may be outdated.

What is important to realize is that the title is misleading, and the fault isn't on you but rather on the OP for presenting a case different from the title. So mimelim referencing OP's crisis with the 3x MCAT directly answered the main question that "No. Do NOT get a dog few days before taking the MCAT".

I think we are focusing on different aspects of the same thread that arose out of a misunderstanding. And that's fine. I'm guilty of that too. But that doesn't justify insulting mimelim and others with admissions experience just because their advice was blunt

...he goes off topic and references a separate thread of the OP's which has nothing to do with getting a dog.

OP asked for opinions on getting a dog 6 days prior to taking the MCAT. Obvious concerns would be that a puppy could distract one from studying, interfere with sleep schedule, otherwise negatively impact an MCAT score. OP went ahead and adopted the dog.

Mimelim pointed out that the OP did, in fact, score poorly on the MCAT.

Correlation does not equal causation... But the fact that OP did do poorly on the MCAT is absolutely relevant. In fact it's pretty much the most relevant piece of information one could hope for, given the initial post.

Last edited:
Erm....no offense to OP...but she likely would have done poorly on the MCAT with or without the dog. Prepping for the MCAT takes more than 6 days, so it's unlikely that she was adequately prepared up until the week of the MCAT and then all of a sudden got a dog and dropped 10 points.

@sylviaplathMD I had a dog while studying for the MCAT and got a second dog, a foster, 3 weeks before my MCAT. To be honest, having two dogs while working full time and trying to study was difficult, and my dogs were both adults. Regardless of the dog's age, it will take a couple of weeks for the dog to get used to your schedule and learn what behaviors you'll accept, but it will be even worse with a puppy. This adjustment period can be exhausting for you, so I'd recommend going through it when you don't have much else going on (2 or 3 months before starting med school, for example). I would also make sure you fully look into how much annual vaccines cost, food, daycare, dog sitting, walking, etc. My dog is much more expensive than I anticipated, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.