Dog question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faden

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know this isn't the proper channel to ask this question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else and maybe one of you can help me. My dog recently was diagnosed heartworm positive and put on doxycycline and heartgard for 4 weeks until the injections begin.

Today is supposed to be the first day of doxycycline, but I'm confused by the labeling on the bottle. She's supposed to take 10mg/kg BID and she's 70 lbs. Doing the math she's 31.75 kg which should be ~300 mg.

The pills are 50 mg each. Does that mean she takes 3 pills (150 mg) every 12 hours (300 mg total per 24 hours) or 6 pills (300mg) every 12 hours (600mg total per 24 hours)?

I would wait until tomorrow and ask my vet, but I work nights and I'm wanting to start her tonight. I'm assuming it's 3 pills (150 mg) every 12 hours, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know this isn't the proper channel to ask this question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else and maybe one of you can help me. My dog recently was diagnosed heartworm positive and put on doxycycline and heartgard for 4 weeks until the injections begin.

Today is supposed to be the first day of doxycycline, but I'm confused by the labeling on the bottle. She's supposed to take 10mg/kg BID and she's 70 lbs. Doing the math she's 31.75 kg which should be ~300 mg.

The pills are 50 mg each. Does that mean she takes 3 pills (150 mg) every 12 hours (300 mg total per 24 hours) or 6 pills (300mg) every 12 hours (600mg total per 24 hours)?

I would wait until tomorrow and ask my vet, but I work nights and I'm wanting to start her tonight. I'm assuming it's 3 pills (150 mg) every 12 hours, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you for your help.

SDN is not for medical advice and a mod will lock this thread once they notice it. The answer is that you should administer the dose prescribed by your veterinarian. and they should have given you a specific dose. If you don't have the directions from your veterinarian, you should call them tomorrow and ask.

Best of luck with treatment; hope it goes well for your dog!

I think the labeling on that Rx is pretty lazy. Clients should not be expected to do the math themselves, not to mention look at what happens without explicit instructions. If that was dispensed from a vet, I would complain (after getting the info). It could be a lazy front desk staff or tech who needs to be admonished.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is not for medical advice and a mod will lock this thread once they notice it. The answer is that you should administer the dose prescribed by your veterinarian. and they should have given you a specific dose. If you don't have the directions from your veterinarian, you should call them tomorrow and ask.

Best of luck with treatment; hope it goes well for your dog!
fwiw, i don't think this is medical "advice", more of the matter of what is the standard to convey this type of information. But, I could be wrong.

fwiw, i don't think this is medical "advice", more of the matter of what is the standard to convey this type of information. But, I could be wrong.

OP is asking what dose of medication to give his dog. That is medical advice. We give an answer and could possibly be over or under dosing the dog. The OP just needs to ask their vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.