Dog question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgeek

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Sorry to invade your forum, but I have a dog question I was hoping you might be able to help me answer. This weekend I am having a BBQ on the roof of my garage (approximately 10 ft off the ground). I would love to let my dog roam free on the roof while my friends and I are out there, but I am concerned he will run off the edge of the roof in pursuit of a squirrel or bird or something. Are dogs smart enough to know that they can’t jump off 10 ft cliffs? What about kind of stupid, clumsy dogs (I love him, but he’s no Lassie). Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say better leave him inside or keep him on a leash, better safe then sorry!

psychgeek said:
Hi everybody,

Are dogs smart enough to know that they can’t jump off 10 ft cliffs? What about kind of stupid, clumsy dogs (I love him, but he’s no Lassie). Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks
The question is not are dogs smart enough to know, but is YOUR dog smart enough to know. You could take him up there with you with a leash and walk him around to see how he reacts, or just leave him on the leash or leave him inside.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd think cats would be smart and graceful enough not to fall out of windows, but it happens.

Considering how bad the injuries could be if your dog fell, it sounds like it isn't really worth it. My stupid, clumsy dog falls of the bed sometimes, so there is no way I would ever let him loose on the roof of a building. If I were in your position, I would leave the dog safe on the ground and worry about the beer-drinking BBQ guests falling off the roof instead.

I just saw the other day on Instagram, someone mourning the loss of their dog. They thought it was okay to let it run loose on the roof of their two story house every day until one day the dog jumped off after a squirrel...:annoyed:

So, yeah, I think this may have been serious.
Ah sad. I had a nice roof in Philly and never considered letting my dogs there. Was considering adding some tall walls so they could go out there, but moved first. Even when I lived in a condo with a nice balcony with walls I never let my dogs out there without a leash because I assumed they could scale/jump the walls if motivated (squirrel, bird, butterfly, imaginary friend, zoomies, boredom, insanity, etc. )

Reactions: 1 user