Doheny Eye Institute Annual Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received in the mail, as did all the residents in my program, the annual report of the Doheny Eye Institute (despite the fact that I am not a Doheny resident, have never attended USC, and am nowhere near California).

This full-color yearbook-type thing makes sure I know all the great faculty they have, their rankings in US News + World Report, the awesome research they are doing, and even the prestigious fellowships their residents matched to. Good thing, too, because I was just up late last night wondering what the latest goings-on at Doheny were.

So out of curiosity, do you all have your copy? And did it strike you as just mildly cheesy that they sent this shamelessly self-promoting book to the residents at your program? (Sorry, rubensan)

Members don't see this ad.

So out of curiosity, do you all have your copy? And did it strike you as just mildly cheesy that they sent this shamelessly self-promoting book to the residents at your program? (Sorry, rubensan)

Yes, and yes.

But I can't make too many bad comments, our hospital has a big banner on it promoting how good it is. (I'm just glad they didn't put the name of the medical school where all the residents graduated from on the banner too :laugh:) Again... sorry Ruben

Thread closed! JK.

What I bet the annual report did not highlight is how one of Doheny's residents just finished his third globe in the last 3 nights! :rolleyes: Ironic really, considering this is National Eye Safety month. Toadkiller, if you send me your copy, I'll autograph it for you :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
"Over 80% of our residents come from top 10 medical schools!"

I guess it shows what they look for. I don't know why other programs even consider applicants from non-top 10 medical schools. j/k

BP has a similar mailing, don't they?

Well an intern at Harbor UCLA said that of 7 USC med students that applied to ophthalmology none even got accepted to Cali schools. What a shame huh?

That's right. But remember that ALL of the 7 USC students who applied did match.
Doheny takes internal candidates every once in a while, but after 1-3 years of research with one of the big attendings.

So I just received in the mail, as did all the residents in my program, the annual report of the Doheny Eye Institute (despite the fact that I am not a Doheny resident, have never attended USC, and am nowhere near California).

This full-color yearbook-type thing makes sure I know all the great faculty they have, their rankings in US News + World Report, the awesome research they are doing, and even the prestigious fellowships their residents matched to. Good thing, too, because I was just up late last night wondering what the latest goings-on at Doheny were.

They bought their mailing list from the AAO, most likely. And when you print large numbers of reports, unit costs go way down, so they send them everywhere. I have never set foot in the place, and I got one.

And as they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

That's right. But remember that ALL of the 7 USC students who applied did match.
Doheny takes internal candidates every once in a while, but after 1-3 years of research with one of the big attendings.

That's absolutely correct. Doheny, like every other top program matches top candidates. As a graduate of USC medical school, I think that it has a strong tradition of sending its students to excellent ophthalmology programs in California and elsewhere (Wilmer, WashU, UC Davis, UC Irvine, to name a few).