Doing away rotations at a DO institution as an MD student/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemesometx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I go to an MD school and was wondering if there is a way to do away rotations fourth year at a DO school in my hometown? I don't know if this is allowed by the LCME or not. There is no MD school in my hometown.

Members don't see this ad.

So I go to an MD school and was wondering if there is a way to do away rotations fourth year at a DO school in my hometown? I don't know if this is allowed by the LCME or not. There is no MD school in my hometown.
I can't answer this for you, but your best bet is to probably contact your own school and the DO school and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO students can do rotations at hospitals associated with MD schools, so I'm guessing the reverse is true.
Thanks, I figured. We have a meeting about rotations next month, so I'll just ask them then. Thanks for your help though.

It really depends. Every institution has rules about what type of outside students they take for electives. I would guess that as long as the DO affiliates that you are trying to rotate with have a dual-accredited or ACGME program then they would accept MDs to do aways there. If they are just AOA programs, I would doubt that they'd let you rotate there, because they'd rather give the opportunity to someone who could apply to their program (i.e. a DO student).

Check out the site's residency programs. If they have ones that are dual or ACGME accredited, then you can probably assume they'll take MDs for aways.

Some/Many? DO teaching hospitals will have atleast 1 ACGME residency and every other residency is an DO one, its still blue book.

My residency was an AOA program only so we only had DO students rotate there.
1jY6yOa

I'm a 3rd DO student and we have many 3rd year MD students from a nearby school rotate here with us all the time. And we rotate there.

We're one big happy family.

Reactions: 2 users