Doing extramural electives for fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haloschief

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm approaching my 4th year in a couple of months and I know a lot of students are looking to apply to away rotations before the new cycle begins mainly for the purpose of matching into their desired specialty. I wanted to know if I could take an away elective (unrelated to my specialty of choice) at a hospital near my hometown. Basically live with my parents for the month, spend some time there, and commute to the hospital for a month. I was planning to do this after I match in 2016 for the month of April. Is this not uncommon for students to do? Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all uncommon. I've seen people do that, or do rotations overseas or whatever you like. So long as you meet your school's graduation requirements and do what you need to do in order to match, the rest is up to you. Most schools seem to be pretty hands-off with 4th years, but making sure you meet all the requirements falls on you and there may not be someone doing due diligence for you. So have fun -- 4th year is awesome!

Reactions: 1 user