Doing poorly on practice exams, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first practice exam (NextStep #1) and got a 500.
Chem & Physics: 50th percentile
CARS: 25th percentile (what the heck)
Bio: 50th percentile
Behavioural sciences: 61st percentile

I'm obviously not happy about my score. I'm approximately halfway done with my content review, but yet my percentile hasn't changed at all (I took an old practice MCAT and got like 50th percentile). And that CARS section totally killed me, I had no clue what half of the passages were talking about. I've done quite a few practice passages and I only get like 5 or 6 wrong usually, but on this test I got over 20 questions wrong.

I don't know what to do at this point. When taking the exam, I didn't really have any issues with actual content recall. It was mostly answering questions that were based off of the passages that I struggled with. I'm totally shocked by this, because I've always been an excellent test-taker, and it was really content I was worried about.

I'm already spending so much time studying for the MCAT in addition to being a full-time student. I really don't know if I can dedicate any more time to the MCAT without my grades falling.

What can I do to improve my score? Of course I'll go over this exam and see what I messed up on, and continue to do content review. How can I improve my strategy without taking a class, which I do not have the time or money for right now?

Also, anyone have any input on how this exam compares to the AAMC practice exam? I think I'll take that one next weekend.

Members don't see this ad.