Doing Research and taking a class at another uni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaCobee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm currently a junior pre-med and I had spent my previous summer doing off-campus research I really enjoyed. One of my mentors suggested that I try to go to another institution to do research again next summer but the issue is that I have to take a science lecture and lab course and two online courses next summer in order to be able to graduate on time. I currently go to a state college in Florida so my best bet is to look for a program/researcher here at another state college that would be willing to let me work with them despite having a courseload (since the credit will easily transfer). If I go out of state, it would be harder for me since there might be an issue with transferring the lecture/lab. I have an idea of researchers I want to work with that is both in state and out of state.

Do you guys think its a possibility for me to research and take a lecture/lab at another university for a summer or is there really no hope this? Are there actually summer research programs that allow this or should I only try to contact the PIs I'm interested in working with?

Once I know that this is possible, I hope to do the process of seeing if taking whatever science lecture/lab I take will transfer back to my university.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone known someone who has done this? I want to make sure of this so I can see how realistic my thinking is in this situation...

It's normal to do research at another institution. I'm doing it right now. As long as it is meaningful and you can get a good letter of recommendation it doesn't really matter if you do it somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 user