Doing research on military medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjking

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm a graduate student at Northwestern University and am currently working on a project in one of my classes that involves military medicine. The group I am working with will actually be making a presentation about our findings to one of the branches of the armed forces.

I'm looking to talk with currently military docs, ex-military docs, prospective medical students and current medical students concerning their feelings about military medicine.

To protect your privacy, if you choose you are welcome to remain anonymous when the findings are released.

Please feel free to PM me or e-mail me if you are interested in participating.

Thank you in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

tell us a little bit more about your research.

And look up my threads about milmed....they are quite extensive.

Thanks for your reply.

I've looked over most of the messages in this forums and have definitely gathered some great insights.

To give some additional information, this research is being done to make recommendations to the Navy about insights into Navy medicine programs, recruiting, marketing, etc. This area has become of particular concern for the Navy and they have enlisted us to try and gain better insights.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Originally posted by vjking
Thanks for your reply.

I've looked over most of the messages in this forums and have definitely gathered some great insights.

To give some additional information, this research is being done to make recommendations to the Navy about insights into Navy medicine programs, recruiting, marketing, etc. This area has become of particular concern for the Navy and they have enlisted us to try and gain better insights.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

i'm not a Navy HPSPer (i'm Army) but i do have Navy HPSP classmates and their concerns are the same. First, their student support in medical school seems lousy, even when compared to the Army of Air Force. Second, the GMO thing is a *huge* pain in the @ss. I don't think i can emphasize that enough. I've spoken with a couple of docs who spent their time as GMO's to repay their obligation and tried to find civilian residencies-- no one wanted them. if you think about it, you have an applicant 2 or 3 or even 4 years removed from his internship applying for a residency against people who have fresh board scores, fresh LOR's and recent academic exposure. needless to say, it's tough.

THe only other thing that they've complained about is the size of the Navy GME program. not really anything that you can change, but it definitely helps to have a large GME with lots of programs and specialties available.

good luck with your study