Doing rotations in a different city than where you are stationed ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I already know where ( what site) I will be doing my rotations next year but have an opportunity of doing an elective rotation in a different city and or a country.

Going abroad doesnt entice me as much as doing it in a different city, specifically in San Diego, because I want to move there after graduation.

So on the plus side, Ill get to live in SD and experience a different hospital environment, on the downside, Ill have to pay two months worth of rent at both locations - my home and temporary sublet, plus potentially additional costs that I am not thinking about. Do you guys think its worth it ?

Anyone else is doing elective rotations somewhere other than your main rotation site ? What was your reasoning if you dont mind me asking ? I dont have a list specific rotations I would be able to do there, but ideally I want more experience in critical care and emergency medicine as I want to be an ED pharmacist. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I already know where ( what site) I will be doing my rotations next year but have an opportunity of doing an elective rotation in a different city and or a country.

Going abroad doesnt entice me as much as doing it in a different city, specifically in San Diego, because I want to move there after graduation.

So on the plus side, Ill get to live in SD and experience a different hospital environment, on the downside, Ill have to pay two months worth of rent at both locations - my home and temporary sublet, plus potentially additional costs that I am not thinking about. Do you guys think its worth it ?

Anyone else is doing elective rotations somewhere other than your main rotation site ? What was your reasoning if you dont mind me asking ? I dont have a list specific rotations I would be able to do there, but ideally I want more experience in critical care and emergency medicine as I want to be an ED pharmacist. :)

Away rotations are definitely a good way to get exposure to different fields, especially in electives. Each institution has a unique way of doing things and having that different exposure allows you to see how others practice. I chose mine for just that reason - different exposure, different opportunities.

If you're looking for emergency medicine, University of Arizona has one of the leading names in the field (for pharmacy at least) so I'd look into trying there. If you're willing to look completely across the country, the University of Rochester Medical Center also has an incredible program.

Definitely do one. The added cost comes out in the wash when you look at the different experiences you can get back doing an away.

Away rotations are definitely a good way to get exposure to different fields, especially in electives. Each institution has a unique way of doing things and having that different exposure allows you to see how others practice. I chose mine for just that reason - different exposure, different opportunities.

If you're looking for emergency medicine, University of Arizona has one of the leading names in the field (for pharmacy at least) so I'd look into trying there. If you're willing to look completely across the country, the University of Rochester Medical Center also has an incredible program.

Definitely do one. The added cost comes out in the wash when you look at the different experiences you can get back doing an away.

I definitely agree...especially since you are trying to move to that city, its best to make conncections there and get your foot in the door for residency programs in that area, as those are hard to come by these days...but make sure you do well on your rotation(s) there because it would be a waste if you dont and preceptors develop a negative opinion of you...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think she's looking at sites affiliated with her school - unlike med students we don't have as much flexibility for "Away" rotations at other universities. Most hospitals have contracts with specific schools and can't just take students because they're interested; I imagine that would be the case with the person in Tucson.

I did several in different states. One in Montana and one in Florida. Setting up the affiliation agreements with each site was troublesome and time consuming. If this is your true desire, you need to set it up asap.

I did one for 6 weeks in Fresno. I was able to find a guy who rented me a room in his house for $400 for the entire 6 weeks. It was a good experience. I was able to meet several of the staff and administrators and go to the pharmacy Christmas party. Made things a lot less nerve wracking when going back to interview for residency.
As far as other expenses. Where I stayed internet and cable were paid for, but I had to supply my own food and toiletries. I bought them all once I got there rather than toting them from LA to Fresno. It wasn't a huge expense, but it was an expense.

Hey chebs, if you want to come to the UMC, I am sure I can help you out and get you in contact with the right people. Also, I have an extra bedroom.

EDIT: and my gf is a good cook and we have a large, flat screen plasma TV, wifi, and Tucson is a great town.

Last edited: