Doing Too Much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyEnlisted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

In my previous thread and through some research I have learned quite a bit about the medical school process, but I was wondering if it was possible to do too much while trying to get into medical school. Being in the Navy and on ship take away a lot from the traditional setting. I want to continue to do online classes (not preqs) so I do not lose my academic rhythm when I get out and start back at a traditional school in a year, but I already have a lot of online schooling under my belt (B.S and MBA) due to my 5 year commitment in the Navy. Since science courses are a no go while at sea I have taken an interest in Psychology and Law (Currently working on a second B.S in Psychology). I am doing this to help pass the time, while simultaneously raise my GPA. I have other hobbies that include reading (just started studying medical ethics), volunteering for programs on the ship, and distant volunteering (taxes, financial help) over the internet. Will these extra classes/degrees make me seem unfocused to a medical admissions committee or motivated to learn given my present situation?

My complete back story can be found at:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/where-do-i-go-from-here.1110692/

Thanks in advance again SDNers!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would appear to be a well rounded applicant who is making the best of your time. When you get back stateside you can work towards the MD prereqs in earnest, but for now you are doing some pretty good stuff. Just don't burn out!

Connerm,

Thank you, I do not really feel academically stressed. I enjoy learning and that is why I am studying areas that have my interest and can be broadly applied to life. The more I hear people talk about the preqs the more excited I get about taking them. They sound like a lot of fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Connerm,

Thank you, I do not really feel academically stressed. I enjoy learning and that is why I am studying areas that have my interest and can be broadly applied to life. The more I hear people talk about the preqs the more excited I get about taking them. They sound like a lot of fun.

That's awesome. I am a philosophy major and I had a friend who came and graduated with me when he was 26. He was also in the navy. Great guy. I think he's in grad school in philosophy and doing some political writing I believe for a magazine or something.

The pre-reqs can be fun, it can be tough to enjoy them if you take a lot a the same time. Try to space them out if you can. Good luck.

You should be fine, as long as long as it's not detracting from duties on ship.

When you're into the admissions game later on, make sure you explain the proliferation of degrees/classes that aren't related to medicine; just a quick line or two in a personal statement will do (at sea, I kept busy studying medical ethics and psychology...).

That's awesome. I am a philosophy major and I had a friend who came and graduated with me when he was 26. He was also in the navy. Great guy. I think he's in grad school in philosophy and doing some political writing I believe for a magazine or something.

The pre-reqs can be fun, it can be tough to enjoy them if you take a lot a the same time. Try to space them out if you can. Good luck.

Yeah I enjoyed my B.S in Finance and my MBA quite a bit. In the Navy there is a lot of down time so people can really make the most out of it if they want.

I saved up enough to the point were I will not have to work during school, so I will be fully involved in taking classes and volunteering at the local hospitals and clinics. I thought about even taking a job as a CNA or a Scribe while I went to school just because I feel like I will grow bored if I do nothing and it will help with clinical and medical experience.

You should be fine, as long as long as it's not detracting from duties on ship.

When you're into the admissions game later on, make sure you explain the proliferation of degrees/classes that aren't related to medicine; just a quick line or two in a personal statement will do (at sea, I kept busy studying medical ethics and psychology...).

As far as my duties go, I still work, take on collateral duties, and stand my watches. I have a a spotless record with above average marks every cycle. I have also advanced first time up to every pay grade.

Thanks for the advice on the PS. I am this site just for tidbits like that. I do not want to make the military the focal point of my medical school application because I plan on doing more towards my medical school goals when I get out. I count the military as a nice EC though.

I do not want to make the military the focal point of my medical school application because I plan on doing more towards my medical school goals when I get out. I count the military as a nice EC though.

I was the same way on my applications, and I think that makes you stand out to committees (after the GPA/MCAT score weeding out process). You sound like you're on your way to building a pretty stellar application.

If your grades are solid, you're fine. Since you're on a ship, you may consider taking math courses which will boost your AMCAS sGPA for MD schools or epidemiology courses to boost your AACOMAS sGPA for DO schools. But you're not doing too much if your personal and professional life is balanced and your grades are high, which it seems they are.

You will definitely get cut some slack as a serviceman/woman.

Keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hello everyone,

In my previous thread and through some research I have learned quite a bit about the medical school process, but I was wondering if it was possible to do too much while trying to get into medical school. Being in the Navy and on ship take away a lot from the traditional setting. I want to continue to do online classes (not preqs) so I do not lose my academic rhythm when I get out and start back at a traditional school in a year, but I already have a lot of online schooling under my belt (B.S and MBA) due to my 5 year commitment in the Navy. Since science courses are a no go while at sea I have taken an interest in Psychology and Law (Currently working on a second B.S in Psychology). I am doing this to help pass the time, while simultaneously raise my GPA. I have other hobbies that include reading (just started studying medical ethics), volunteering for programs on the ship, and distant volunteering (taxes, financial help) over the internet. Will these extra classes/degrees make me seem unfocused to a medical admissions committee or motivated to learn given my present situation?

My complete back story can be found at:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/where-do-i-go-from-here.1110692/

Thanks in advance again SDNers!

you may consider taking math courses which will boost your AMCAS sGPA for MD schools or epidemiology courses to boost your AACOMAS sGPA for DO schools. .

I took algebra I, Algebra II & Trig, and am getting ready to start PreCal, but I did not want to go above that because I believe Cal is preq for most med schools and I wanted to do it in the classroom. I have already completed Stats as well. In all the classes I have completed I have received A's.

I never thought about doing epidemiology courses because I figured I most sciences required labs and I am against doing labs online. I want to experience those things in an actual lab. Do you have any recommendations for some good epidemiology classes/schools I could look into?

You will definitely get cut some slack as a serviceman/woman.

Keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Thank you for that. I want to be competitive even without my military background because I hear from Vets far too often that they are almost relying on that to get them in to a medical school. I figure if I can have a 3.5+ GPA, show I have taken full coursework even while in the military, and took coursework at a traditional school afterwards, all while maintaining above average GPAs, this will help be competitive. Then when the time comes, the MCAT will be a big factor as well, but then I want my military past to be second to my academic achievements.

I know I have a long way to go before I am at the finish line. This is the reason I chose to go after classes I find interesting instead of trying to do my preqs online. I have almost a full year before I get out, so I figure enjoy it now and learn something that I have a secondary interest to and can still be applied to the medical field.

Reactions: 1 user