Dominican University of California MS OT Program and Samuel Merritt OT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asianlad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am interested in the MS in OT program. I heard from a few people that it is very easy to get into Dominican University of California and Samuel Merritt OT programs. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not apply there, but I believe it to be true...these programs are pretty much unranked and the average GPA for accepted applicants are quite low...somewhere around 3.2ish. I also think they do not require GRE scores. Both schools are private and are therefore expensive. I figured if I were going to shell out money for a private school anyway, why not shell out money for a good school like USC? I live in the bay area and Samuel Merritt has the reputation as the "last resort" school for allied health fields. However, I don't think where you go to school for OT really matters in the profession, so if there is some compelling reason for you to go to these schools, then by all means, go. It probably won't hurt you when you are looking for jobs.

I did not apply there, but I believe it to be true...these programs are pretty much unranked and the average GPA for accepted applicants are quite low...somewhere around 3.2ish. I also think they do not require GRE scores. Both schools are private and are therefore expensive. I figured if I were going to shell out money for a private school anyway, why not shell out money for a good school like USC? I live in the bay area and Samuel Merritt has the reputation as the "last resort" school for allied health fields. However, I don't think where you go to school for OT really matters in the profession, so if there is some compelling reason for you to go to these schools, then by all means, go. It probably won't hurt you when you are looking for jobs.

I agree with you.. I heard that this schools are considered "last resort" by many applicants because of their reputation and both programs are fairly new. Dominican University of California do not require an interview and I was so surprised when I found out.. The reason I am applying to this schools is because they are pretty near to where I live and my GPA is low because I had "C" in my accounting and finance classes. Moreover, this schools are my safety net just in case if I do not get into NYU. I want to go to NYU and it is my goal school, but I heard it is pretty competitive and there are about 300 applicants competing for 50 spots and the average GPA of applicants is 3.5. The downside about NYU is that it will cost you a lot of money. I believe for two years it will cost approximately 96K and that is not including room and board, books, pocket money and food!!! However, NYU is ranked number 9 among all the OT schools in the nation, which means that you will get good education!

Members don't see this ad :)
You actually will find the application process is very competitive to get into these schools. In the bay area, there are only 3 OT schools, SMU, Dominican and SJSU. SJSU is the cheapest, but I've heard such bad things about that school. Not to throw anyone under the bus. Check the NBCOT pass rates, see how much faculty involvement, decide if you want to be in SUPER HIGH debt. You have to choose the school that fits your learning style. In the end, it doesn't matter where you got your degree from, but how you apply what you've learned.

You actually will find the application process is very competitive to get into these schools. In the bay area, there are only 3 OT schools, SMU, Dominican and SJSU. SJSU is the cheapest, but I've heard such bad things about that school. Not to throw anyone under the bus. Check the NBCOT pass rates, see how much faculty involvement, decide if you want to be in SUPER HIGH debt. You have to choose the school that fits your learning style. In the end, it doesn't matter where you got your degree from, but how you apply what you've learned.

What bad tihngs have you heard about SJSU? High debt definitely shouldn't be one of the bad things, if that's what you're referring to. The main reason that I would go there is because it is extremely cheap, compared to other schools. But, with the huge budget cuts, and the below average NBCOT pass rates, I'm not too sure I want to go there. I have no idea how the budget cuts will affect the program. I heard that last year, they had to take back some acceptances due to the cuts...that is scary!! If the availablity of the admissions committee is a reflection of how the program will change due to the cuts, that would be bad. I would like to get more info about the "bad things" you heard about the school. You can PM me if you are more comfortable with that.

I applied to Samuel Merritt, Dominican, and USC. I have a 3.5 GPA, with all pre-req's completed. I haven't heard from any of the schools, and I am getting worried. I have left numerous messages with Samuel Mer and haven't recieved any calls back, even though their web-site states to call after 2/15 to find out why you weren't given an interview. Does anyone know when Dominican or USC plan to notify applicants?

I applied to Samuel Merritt, Dominican, and USC. I have a 3.5 GPA, with all pre-req's completed. I haven't heard from any of the schools, and I am getting worried. I have left numerous messages with Samuel Mer and haven't recieved any calls back, even though their web-site states to call after 2/15 to find out why you weren't given an interview. Does anyone know when Dominican or USC plan to notify applicants?

I was interviewed on January 23rd by Samuel Merritt and I already got my decision. I am wait listed. How come you did not hear back? That is strange because you have a decent GPA....

I was interviewed on January 23rd by Samuel Merritt and I already got my decision. I am wait listed. How come you did not hear back? That is strange because you have a decent GPA....

Yep, it's so frustrating. I feel like I had pretty good grades, great letters, met all pre-req's (actually above what was requested) and wasn't even given the opportunity to interview. Worse yet, they won't even return my calls. I don't think I would choose to attend there now seeing how backwards and disorganized they are. I'm just down about it all. But I figure everything happens for a reason, so hopefully :oops:

Yep, it's so frustrating. I feel like I had pretty good grades, great letters, met all pre-req's (actually above what was requested) and wasn't even given the opportunity to interview. Worse yet, they won't even return my calls. I don't think I would choose to attend there now seeing how backwards and disorganized they are. I'm just down about it all. But I figure everything happens for a reason, so hopefully :oops:

Maybe there was something wrong with your application? Maybe they did not like your personal statement or maybe one of your recommendation letters were badly written.

My GPA is 3.0 and I am not even done with Human Anatomy and Physiology, but I was selected for an interview. I am wait listed at number 36/40 and I think part of the reason is I got very nervous on the interview. I did a mediocre job and giving interviews is one of my weaknesses so that is probably why I am ranked very low on the wait list.

I'm on the same boat as you!!! I applied to Samuel Merritt. Good GPA, and everything as well. I thought I had a solid application. I was banking on Sammuel Merrit as a back up. And when you get denied from what you thought was a back up you start to get discouraged. I was worried because I didn't hear anything from then and on the website it said we would be invited for interviews in Dec. So I emailed the admissions person beginning of Jan. and left them numerous phone messages. I did not hear anything for over a month. Then the week of Feb 15 when decisions were going to to be mailed out the director finally emailed me back to tell me that I would be notified through mail that week. Which meant I was gonna get denied acceptance because I wasn't invited for the interviews! They have such poor communication. Its tough but keep your head up and I'm sure that things will happen as they are supposed too. I'm trying to follow my own advice and look at it as everything happening for a reason.

Anyways, I'm waiting on USC and NYU and I'm guessing we should be hearing this month and next. USC starts in June so we should be finding out really soon, hopefully, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is frustrating, but just know you are not alone!! I'm on the same boat as you, I hope this helps, and Good luck!!!

I'm on the same boat as you!!! I applied to Samuel Merritt. Good GPA, and everything as well. I thought I had a solid application. I was banking on Sammuel Merrit as a back up. And when you get denied from what you thought was a back up you start to get discouraged. I was worried because I didn't hear anything from then and on the website it said we would be invited for interviews in Dec. So I emailed the admissions person beginning of Jan. and left them numerous phone messages. I did not hear anything for over a month. Then the week of Feb 15 when decisions were going to to be mailed out the director finally emailed me back to tell me that I would be notified through mail that week. Which meant I was gonna get denied acceptance because I wasn't invited for the interviews! They have such poor communication. Its tough but keep your head up and I'm sure that things will happen as they are supposed too. I'm trying to follow my own advice and look at it as everything happening for a reason.

Anyways, I'm waiting on USC and NYU and I'm guessing we should be hearing this month and next. USC starts in June so we should be finding out really soon, hopefully, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is frustrating, but just know you are not alone!! I'm on the same boat as you, I hope this helps, and Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for your quote OT Laker Lover! It really has made me feel so much better that I am not alone in this confusion. I am also waiting for USC, and really hoping I get in there. That is my first choice but I am realistic to the fact that they are one of the best so it will probably be hard. I did not apply to NYU because I want to stay in CA. I really wish you the best of luck and hope that things work out for USC and NYU. Who knows maybe we will both end up at USC :)! Again, thanks very much, you have made me feel much better. Wishing you the best!!!! Good Luck!!!

Good read... I was going to write soo much more, but was rather uncomfortable with it. There are good/bad things about all the schools. I just really encourage everyone to look at the picture as a whole and not just the cost of the education. With OT salary in California you can pay back the student loans quickly if you are focused.

Good luck to everyone applying.

I would like to get more info about the "bad things" you heard about the school. You can PM me if you are more comfortable with that.

To the posters who were discussing your frustrations with Samuel Merritt, I feel your pain. I mentioned in another topic, that I was invited last year for an interview at the very last minute because they lost my contact information. Of course, I couldn't make it. A few months later I received an orientation e-mail by mistake! I reapplied this year and was denied admission. Also, I was waitlisted at NYU and Columbia last year and denied this year. Kind of backwards I think, but who knows? Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should stick with OT. I read somewhere that it can take up to 3 years to get in. I thought my grades, experience, and references were great, but so are everyone's, I suppose. It really sucks that the bay area doesn't have better schools, as I would love to live there. Still waiting to hear from Dominican, but not too excited about what I've heard about any of the bay area schools.

To the posters who were discussing your frustrations with Samuel Merritt, I feel your pain. I mentioned in another topic, that I was invited last year for an interview at the very last minute because they lost my contact information. Of course, I couldn't make it. A few months later I received an orientation e-mail by mistake! I reapplied this year and was denied admission. Also, I was waitlisted at NYU and Columbia last year and denied this year. Kind of backwards I think, but who knows? Right now I'm just trying to decide if I should stick with OT. I read somewhere that it can take up to 3 years to get in. I thought my grades, experience, and references were great, but so are everyone's, I suppose. It really sucks that the bay area doesn't have better schools, as I would love to live there. Still waiting to hear from Dominican, but not too excited about what I've heard about any of the bay area schools.

I can only imagine your frustrations. If it is something that you really want to pursue stick with it. Keep your head up high and just know that in the end you will end up where you need to be. Believe in yourself and be patient that things will fall into place for you. I read in others blogs that people knew for a fact some schools that are even having trouble filling their classes and taking in PT students that didn't get accepted. Apply everywhere you can, and places that may even seem like you might consider going. Is it more important on location for you? I ONLY wanted to stay in CA or NY, but if I don't get in this year I may have to look at other options, like surrounding states.

I know have frustrating it can be and you may have everything they are looking for in a viable candidate but you have to think outside the box and make yourself stand out because now more then ever that is what matters most when everyone is the perfect candidate. Honestly though, it gets discouraging. I had a friend who had the same exact profile candidate as someone they new and that person got. Its sometimes based on luck because there are so many candidates that they just have to narrow it down some how.

Its hard to give advice to someone when you feel like you're going through the same thing and can't follow your own advice but I do hope this helps you! And I hope you get into Dominican like you really wanted because you deserve it for sticking out through your 2nd round of applications! :)

I am also very frustrated and sad because I do not know if I will get in one of the schools. I don't really see myself doing anything else beside OT and I always think about the worse case scenarios. I am 24 and I haven't started a career. I am losing hope. I hope I get into at least one of the programs. :(

I am also very frustrated and sad because I do not know if I will get in one of the schools. I don't really see myself doing anything else beside OT and I always think about the worse case scenarios. I am 24 and I haven't started a career. I am losing hope. I hope I get into at least one of the programs. :(

Your concerns are of many. I've been reading and reading these forums day in and day out. I too am hopeful I get into a program and look at the worst case scenarios. Again, same boat... I cannot see myself doing anything else as a career, going to be 24 this year, and I am losing hope! But we can't change what has already happened. Do as much as you can wait and see if we got in, then if not keep reapplying. Honestly, look at the signs all around you, keep it in your head that you will get in somewhere and you will. POSITIVE THINKING. If not, don't beat yourself up over it because theres a reason, maybe an even better opportunity waiting to come by! Keep you head up and be strong! I'm sorry asianlad, I hope my words of encouragement helped a bit! Good luck!:luck:

OT Laker Lover, thanks for the encouragement and you hang in there too. Dominican is actually a back up school for me because I've heard mixed reviews about it. I don't like that it's a 3 year program either. Probably the biggest perk for me is location. I love the SF bay area. And you're right, sometimes it's just luck. I thought my unique experience helped me stand out, but I was WRONG, HAHA!

And to both you and Asian Lad, DO NOT focus on age, for it will make you a panicky mess! It happened to me. This is my second year applying to OT. I'm 28, and have no career because I was laid off nearly 2 years ago. I went into social service and education after college, which I loved, but they are also receiving the biggest cuts. So please don't focus on age. The way I look at it, you're both still young. I had to stop worrying about age and starting over when I'm around 30, 31 pending I get into some school soon! Haha!

I forgot where I read it, but it said something like it takes an average of 3 years to get into OT programs. So, I'll try one more year and see what happens. I have figured out though, that you have to ignore that schools will allow you to apply without having completed all the prerequisites. Although I'm only one class short, I've realized I have to have everything done, and take the GRE even if schools don't require it. What else will set us apart from the others? I guess we have to go above and beyond. But like I said either here or another form, I'm surprised I'm doing all this when all I hear is bashing of the profession.

Good luck to you both and and keep pushing! ;)

Samuel Merritt sucks to deal with! I just found this forum, and I am extremely surprised to find all of the same problems that I had.

I applied because they extended their deadline, and decided it was worth a shot... I did not receive any type of response within the time frame specified on their website. I received an e-mail the day before Christmas that my application was incomplete because my letters of recommendation were missing. I knew they had been sent out, so I called and e-mailed NUMEROUS times with no response. I ended having to contact the President of the university to get someone to answer me!

I finally got a hold of someone, insisting they take another look to make sure it was not a mistake... By the time they got back to me, I had been denied an interview because of an "incomplete" application. I argued and annoyed the admissions committee to review my application, because it was not my fault they were so unorganized. Finally, they agreed to review it.

Once again, I receive no information on the status of my application... several e-mails, several calls.. no answers. They finally offered me an interview (I think it was so I would stop bothering them about how unorganized they are).... only this interview was offered to be 3 DAYS before the interview (I'm out of state). I got in another unpleasant conversation with the man who called, because their inability to respond in timely matter would now cost double in travel costs for me, due to the last minute travel plans. He would absolutely not allow a phone interview, and freaked out when I said I would contact the President yet AGAIN. I ended up denying my interview and gave him an earful about the disorganization of the university, and I felt that was enough said about their program.

Then received a mysterious position on the waitlist... It's not a high number- I'm sure I won't be accepted. But moral of the story.. that ordeal was so frusterating, it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Samuel Merritt sucks to deal with! I just found this forum, and I am extremely surprised to find all of the same problems that I had.

I applied because they extended their deadline, and decided it was worth a shot... I did not receive any type of response within the time frame specified on their website. I received an e-mail the day before Christmas that my application was incomplete because my letters of recommendation were missing. I knew they had been sent out, so I called and e-mailed NUMEROUS times with no response. I ended having to contact the President of the university to get someone to answer me!

I finally got a hold of someone, insisting they take another look to make sure it was not a mistake... By the time they got back to me, I had been denied an interview because of an "incomplete" application. I argued and annoyed the admissions committee to review my application, because it was not my fault they were so unorganized. Finally, they agreed to review it.

Once again, I receive no information on the status of my application... several e-mails, several calls.. no answers. They finally offered me an interview (I think it was so I would stop bothering them about how unorganized they are).... only this interview was offered to be 3 DAYS before the interview (I'm out of state). I got in another unpleasant conversation with the man who called, because their inability to respond in timely matter would now cost double in travel costs for me, due to the last minute travel plans. He would absolutely not allow a phone interview, and freaked out when I said I would contact the President yet AGAIN. I ended up denying my interview and gave him an earful about the disorganization of the university, and I felt that was enough said about their program.

Then received a mysterious position on the waitlist... It's not a high number- I'm sure I won't be accepted. But moral of the story.. that ordeal was so frusterating, it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

It's so nice to hear I am not alone. My Samuel Merritt story is almost exactly the same. Thank you for your post. Good Luck to you, wherever you end up! :)

My story is a mess as well. My boyfriend told me not to even think about going to a school that disorganized. Some man named Drew, I believe is the reason for me missing my interview, lost address, notified a few days before interview date, etc. Che is actually quite nice and responds quickly. I wanted to go to a school in the Bay Area but with limited choices and SM being so ridiculous, I'm not sure that will happen.

It's so nice to hear I am not alone. My Samuel Merritt story is almost exactly the same. Thank you for your post. Good Luck to you, wherever you end up! :)