Done with the DAT | Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN community!

I've posted several times in the past 2 years regarding class grades, anxieties, personal worries, and I've finally successfully taken the DAT and am here to offer my breakdown. :)

DAT Scores:
Perceptual Ability: 19
QR: 18 :eyebrow:
Reading Comp: 22 :love:
Biology: 20
Gen. Chem: 22
Orgo: 24:soexcited:
TS: 22 :)
AA: 21

oGPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.45

Study Materials:
PAT:

Crack DAT PAT is the best software for this, the scores are almost exactly what I received in the 10 practice exams over the course of 2 months. I actually started off with a 15, worked my way up to an 18 in a month, shot up to a 21 in 5 weeks, and settled at a 19 for the past two weeks, something that I was content with. I think the best way to get better in this is use as many resources (there's a great link online for TFE questions, and of course, use YouTube for whatever issues you may encounter in visualization or what not, it all helps!)
I will say this, the PAT, at the end of the day, just requires a lot of practice, it's something anyone can excel in!
I only wish I had more time but what's done is done.

QR:
Oh boy, math/quantitative reasoning is not my cup of tea. I loathed studying any type of math for the DAT, not because I'm bad at it (earned an A in all 3 of my undergrad. math classes) it's just the DAT math is tedious! I ended up doing a lot of Bootcamp which definitely boosted my score! Shout out to @Ari Rezaei for constantly putting up with my superfluous emails! I definitely recommend Bootcamp for almost every section on the DAT. (I never tried the Bootcamp PAT, so I can't speak to its validity) I also think math destroyer is a bit overkill but it def. helps you prepare for doing well on this section--maybe even an 18 which, at the end of the day, is something I'm content with b/c I truly know I didn't put in the effort in this section. Half-ass work = half-ass results. I also think Chad's videos really helps for at least giving you a foundation to work off of for math. But more on Chad's and Bootcamp in a bit.

Reading Comp:
Bootcamp was the BEST for this! For several reasons:
i) Bootcamp actually over prepares you for this by honing your speed of 15-17 paragraphs in a passage so that you'll be comfortable on the actual DAT--at least that's what happened to me, thankfully. The 1st and 3rd passage consisted of only 9 paragraphs, I know, I was incredibly confused and grateful at the same time! The 2nd passage consisted of 12 paragraphs. At the end of the day, bootcamp really helped, the passages on bootcamp are not only longer, harder, and more complex to comprehend but they're also similar in topics! So that means you'll be very well prepared!

Biology:
DAT DESTROYER IS KING! I also read through Ferrali's notes twice, my Campbell's notes from undergrad (each & every chapter). I wish I actually read Cliff's AP Bio once to be honest, because (not to sound pompous) I consider bio one of my finest areas of expertise, and albeit a 20 is something that I'd take with open arms, I expected to do better. By the way, random is the best word that comes to mind when I think about this section! I studied long, hard, and broadly for it but I found myself confused on a lot of questions. But I think a combination of Bootcamp/Destroyer/Ferrali's are your best bets for at least a 20 on this section! I also watched Chad's videos for bio, but truthfully, and nothing against the Master of all things Chem (Chad) I think the bio section of his videos aren't quite adequate for the DAT.

Gen. Chem:
CHAD'S VIDEOS is the best for general chemistry! I cannot express how important his lectures were, hit fast play, and go through everything taking detailed notes. His quizzes are also very good! They set up a fantastic foundation that you can use to go through the DAT Destroyer head on! I highly recommend Chad's and DAT Destroyer for this section, it can really, really, really help you understand not only the application of the equations and formulae but also the various, and sometimes complex theories of chemistry. By the way, this may have been my test, but I've read the same on many other breakdowns: theories are tested much more on the DAT than equations! I only had about 5-6 formula-requiring/annoying questions but other than that, it was pure theory and I honestly felt like I got a 30. After the shaky bio, I assumed that this test was going to be a nightmare for me, but gen. chem was a pleasant surprise! Once again, Chad's and Destroyer is the way to go!

Orgo:
AH, organic chemistry. The love of many students and the hatred of many, many more. I can say, with confidence, that I consider myself a very good student in organic chemistry--but I still found myself stumped om some questions with the DAT Destroyer (which once again, is an excellent resource for this section) so I turned to Chad's once again! Who is truly the master of chemistry! His way of elucidating even the most seemingly esoteric of topics is phenomenal. I did the DAT Destroyer a few times for the orgo section and I def. feel it paid off. I only remember one hard question on the Orgo section and I truly was flustered b/c it felt like a 2nd semester biochem question to me but anyways, you should be fine here if you destroy the DAT destroyer and watch Chad's.

Nothing but respect for Dr. Romano, Chad, & Ari.

I also highly recommend taking Bootcamp tests every week for Orgo/Gen. Chem/Bio/Reading Comp, I felt it was beneficial to also repeat these tests leading up to the exam. At the end of the day, the DAT is not a "hard" test--it just requires hard work. 2-3 months of studying like an animal will lead you to attain the score you desire. I am, by no means, a genius or someone who has always gotten an A in every class (people that you may encounter here on SDN, I'm sure) so trust me, when I say, that if an average Joe like myself can get these scores, YOU CAN TOO!

The DAT Destroyer isn't made for you to go through without getting any wrong, it's designed to be a monster so you can eventually tame it, overtime, learn from your mistakes and become a master of the monster.. (I need to sleep, I realize I'm beginning to run off tangent)

My plan was always revolving around: Waking up, studying, food, studying, food, studying, sleep (RINSE & REPEAT BABY) I may have also skipped some meals because I felt like an animal at one point, just nothing other than studying--which I believe pays off.

Closing remarks and summary:
DAT Destroyer: 10/10
Math Destroyer: 8/10
DAT Bootcamp: 9/10
Chad's Videos: 9/10
Crack DAT PAT: 10/10

Never, ever, ever give up. YOU can do it, doesn't matter what happened in the past, learn from your mistakes, become a better person, not a bitter one. Develop a laser-sharp focus and know why you are doing this. Your studying and struggle right now, will last a lifetime, think about the future in order to ground your present and keep working at it! You're entering a secure, demanding, respectful, prestigious career that you will love. Keep grinding through it, YOU WILL MAKE IT! Best of luck to prospective test takers and applicants. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users