MD & DO Don't Give Up - My Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HK06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been particularly accustom in making use of these boards over the years since I had made the decision to pursue a possible career in medicine. In fact, I rather purposefully sought to avoid them for fear of coming across literature or postings that would make me feel, as all of us do at times on this overly-competitive road to medical school, inadequate. This is my story to some extent or another and I wish for nothing more than for the person reading this that it might give you a glimmer of hope, if not now, in the future if you ever feel like you're drowning in a sea of "perfect" and "more suitable" applicants as opposed to yourself.

In my first semester of college, my then-significant other that I was "madly in love with" (as we all are at the age of 18) had broken up with me to pursue someone that was more a part of the "Greek life" at their respective university that was 500 or so miles away from where I had been attending school. That person had told me that I had become too boring and could "clearly see" my unwillingness to make a conscious effort in transferring to that university so that we might be with one another. I never told that person of the reality of my situation, but the truth of my supposed unwillingness had been a bit more complicated. I come from a very poor family. I know what it means to be the center of a joke at a young age for having to wear the same clothes a bit more often than others, to be made fun of for where I lived, and so on. Because of this, the desire to hide the realities of my financial situation have always taken precedence in my life. I simply couldn't afford to transfer, and as it were, our relationship dissolved. Foolish and 18 years old, I became considerably depressed and withdrew from my semester's courses having fallen behind. My grades for that semester were as follows:

Term: Fall 2009
College:
College of Science
Academic Standing: Probation-See Academic Dean
ENGL 1311 Main Campus UG Expos. English Composition (C) W
HIST 1301 Main Campus UG History of U.S. to 1865 (C) W
MATH 0311 Main Campus UG Intermediate Algebra W
PHIL 1301 Main Campus UG Introduction to Philosophy (C) W

Semester GPA: 0.00

The following semester, I had essentially withdrawn myself professionally. Admittedly, I had only enrolled in classes so that I could maintain the status of "current" with regard to my student loans. I was very seriously considering taking my own life having been convinced that any chance at a future different from that of the reality I had always been a part of was simply not awaiting me.

Term: Spring 2010
College:
College of Science
ENGL 1311 Main Campus UG Expos. English Composition (C) F
MATH 0311 Main Campus UG Intermediate Algebra W
PHIL 1301 Main Campus UG Introduction to Philosophy (C) F
POLS 2310 Main Campus UG Introduction to Politics (C) F

Semester GPA: 0.00

At this point in my academic career, university policy called for me to be temporarily "ejected" from the university for a period of up to 1 year but no less than 1 semester. Having accumulated an estimated $6,000 in student loans and no foreseeable means of beginning repayment, I enrolled in community college in the hopes of maintaining their "current" status. I had still been considerably depressed and increasingly so as a result of my ever darkening situation. I worked hard to hide the realities of my life to those around me. The grades for that first community semester are as follows:

Term: Fall 2010
College:
Non-Degree Seeking
GOVT 2305 Main Campus UG American Govt & Politics (C) A
HIST 1301 Main Campus UG History of US to 1865 (C) F
PHIL 1301 Main Campus UG World History 1648 to Present (C) F

Semester GPA: 1.33

This was something of a "turning-point" for me. I had been officially required to meet with the academic dean at the community college in which I was enrolled. When meeting with him, he required my unofficial transcripts from the university in which I was previously a student. I showed up to his office empty handed. I admitted to him with considerable embarrassment that I had a $380.00 charge on my university account that was unpaid and prevented me from accessing my transcripts (despite how embarrassing they would prove to be). The charge had resulted from my obtaining a grant in my second semester which paid a leftover course balance. The grant was applied to the accounts of students who demonstrated considerable financial need in paying for their tuition. Though because I had essentially failed all of my courses, the grant was revoked and I had been charged with returning the money. I had started working part time at a clothing store but hadn't been paid yet, and I knew when I was paid for my work I wouldn't be able to fully cover the leftover balance knowing full well of the need to be able to pay for transportation costs to class among other smaller obligations (even though it would appear I may as well have not been present). He agreed to look past this breach of formality and told me rather sternly that if I didn't pass 75% of my coursework in the following semester, I'd be ejected and my chances of a college education at that point on would be "unlikely." He told me he was making this decision having discussed my "A" (the only passing grade in my possession at that point in time) with the instructor of my American Government course (see above). Apparently, my instructor was a close friend of his and replied to him with a sense of surprise in that I was capable of achieving anything less than an A in my classes. He then told me something that I'll likely never forget. That he could see there was something wrong in me, something seemingly broken. Capable but struggling, but that I needed to decide if that wrongness, that brokenness, was worthy enough to dictate the rest of my life. And that maybe I needed the world to show me that it was giving me a final but "real" chance.

Term: Spring 2011
College:
Non-Degree Seeking
HIST 1301 Main Campus UG History of US to 1865 (C) A
SPCH 1315 Main Campus UG Fund of Effect Speech (C) A
HIST 2322 Main Campus UG World History 1648 to Present (C) B
ECON 2301 Main Campus UG Princ of Macroeconomics (C) C

Semester GPA: 3.25

Term: Summer 2011
College:
Non-Degree Seeking
Academic Standing: Good
ENGL 1301 Main Campus UG Expos. English Composition (C) A
ENGL 2342 Main Campus UG Intro Novel/Short Story (C) A
HIST 1302 Main Campus UG History of U.S. to 1865 to Present (C) B
PHIL 1301 Main Campus UG Intro to Philosophy (C) A

Semester GPA: 3.75

At this point in time, I applied for readmission to my original university. I was becoming a seemingly better, more responsible student, but still had some considerable room and organizational methods to develop upon. I was granted approval. The following grades are taken from the remainder of my undergraduate transcripts (subsequently applying to medical school this May which was also the semester of my graduation).

Term: Fall 2011
College:
College of Science
ENGL 1312 Main Campus UG Research & Critical Writ (C) B
MATH 0311 Main Campus UG Intermediate Algebra S*
THEA 1313 Main Campus UG Introduction to Theatre (C) B
UNIV 1301 Main Campus UG Seminar/Critical Inquiry (C) B

Semester GPA: 3.00
Cumulative GPA: 1.80

This was the point in time I had made the decision to pursue the idea of attending medical school despite the baggage that I was carrying. The assistant dean of the college of science at the time had told me it was unlikely that I would succeed, and not to get my hopes up.

Term: Spring 2012
College:
College of Science
Academic Standing: Eligible to Re-enroll
Additional Standing: Dean's List
CHEM 1105 Main Campus UG Laboratory for CHEM 1305 A
CHEM 1305 Main Campus UG General Chemistry A
ENGL 1311 Main Campus UG Expos. English Composition (C) A
MATH 1508 Main Campus UG Precalculus (C) A

Semester GPA: 4.00
Cumulative GPA: 2.77

Term: Summer 2012
College:
College of Science
CHEM 1106 Main Campus UG Laboratory for CHEM 1306 A
CHEM 1306 Main Campus UG General Chemistry (C) A
SOCI 1301 Main Campus UG Introduction to Sociology (C) A

Cumulative GPA: 3.02

Term: Fall 2012
College:
College of Science
BIOL 1107 Main Campus UG Topics in Study of Life I A
BIOL 1305 Main Campus UG General Biology B (Still kills me inside)
CHEM 2124 Main Campus UG Lab for Organic Chemistry 2324 A
CHEM 2324 Main Campus UG Organic Chemistry A
MATH 1411 Main Campus UG Calculus I A

Semester GPA: 3.75
Cumulative GPA: 3.21

Term: Spring 2013
College:
College of Science
BIOL 1108 Main Campus UG Organismal Biology Laboratory A
BIOL 1306 Main Campus UG Organismal Biology A
CHEM 2125 Main Campus UG Lab for Organic Chemistry 2325 A
CHEM 2325 Main Campus UG Organic Chemistry A
STAT 2480 Main Campus UG Elementary Statistical Methods A

Cumulative GPA: 3.37

Term: Summer 2013
College:
College of Science
CHEM 4376 Main Campus UG Introduction to Research A

Cumulative GPA: 3.40

Term: Fall 2013
College:
College of Science
BIOL 2111 Main Campus UG Human Anat/Physio Lab I (C) A
BIOL 2311 Main Campus UG Human Anat/Physiology I (C) A
BIOL 3320 Main Campus UG Genetics A
MICR 2141 Main Campus UG Gen Microbiology Laboratory A
MICR 2340 Main Campus UG General Microbiology A
PHYS 1403 Main Campus UG General Physics I (C) A

Cumulative GPA: 3.53

Term: Spring 2014
College:
College of Science
BIOL 2113 Main Campus UG Human Anat/Physio Lab II (C) A
BIOL 2313 Main Campus UG Human Anat/Physiology II (C) A
BIOL 3115 Main Campus UG Molecular Cell Biol Laboratory A
BIOL 3314 Main Campus UG Molecular Cell Biology A
PHYS 1404 Main Campus UG General Physics II (C) A
SCI 1100 Main Campus UG Science Seminar A

Cumulative GPA: 3.60

Term: Summer 2014
College:
College of Science
BIOL 3330 Main Campus UG Histology A
BIOL 3357 Main Campus UG Forensic DNA Analysis A

Cumulative GPA: 3.62

Term: Fall 2014
College:
College of Science
BIOL 3321 Main Campus UG Evolution A
BIOL 3351 Main Campus UG Toxicology A
CHEM 3330 Main Campus UG Biochem I:Struc & Function A
MICR 4351 Main Campus UG General Virology A
RSRC 4033 Main Campus UG Undergraduate Research S

Cumulative GPA: 3.66

Term: Spring 2015
College:
College of Science
BIOL 4192 Main Campus UG Senior Seminar A
BIOL 4195 Main Campus UG Advanced Methods in Biology A
CHEM 3332 Main Campus UG Biochem II: Dynam & Bioenerg A
POLS 2311 Main Campus UG American Gover & Politics (C) A
ZOOL 4181 Main Campus UG Vertebrate Physiology Methods A
ZOOL 4380 Main Campus UG Vertebrate Physiology A

Cumulative GPA: 3.70

TMDSAS INFO:
January MCAT cumulative: 32
(I omit the breakdown for fear of revealing myself to many who know me and likely wouldn't believe this was the reality of my situation, academically speaking.)
Overall GPA: 3.47
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.97
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.97
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 2.73

Shadowing (ER): 60 hours
Research: 2 years organic synthesis lab. No publications or awards of any kind.
Other Activities: Chemistry TA (2 Years)

I applied to 8 Texas medical schools this May and have received pre-offers from the following schools at this point:

Texas A&M
Texas Tech - Lubbock
Texas Tech - El Paso
UTMB
TCOM

Have interviewed at:

Texas A&M
Texas Tech - Lubbock
Texas Tech - El Paso
UTMB
TCOM
San-Antonio

Was not granted an interview by:

Southwestern
UT Houston

I hope it means something to someone out there who might be reading this to know that there wasn't a single day from my initial decision to pursue this path and November 15th of this year when I received my first (and unexpected) pre-offer that I didn't feel like the path before me hadn't already been destroyed. There wasn't a single day where I didn't think of my "low GPA" and how impossible it was for it to move given the initial damaging. There wasn't a single day where I didn't recount the conversations of limitless other pre-medical students who made fun of others that struggled academically, making it a point to speak of those student's dreams being nonsensical if not futile. If you continue to move forward and persevere you will succeed. I wish I had the courage to speak of the realities of my situation to someone but never did for fear of becoming some kind of talked-about joke or story. I wish I had one person to tell me what I hope someone out there that might be in a similar position as mine reads here:

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep moving.

-J

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
I really did need this. Thank you so much for sharing your story you truly are an inspiration!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so awesome! Congrats! Good luck in your future career :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have a very similar situation as you. Here are my stats so far:

1st year: 1.23, 2.00 BPCM - Went to a 4-year school first semester, got 4 F's and a C-. Went to a community college the next semester.
2nd year: : 2.07, 2.00 BPCM
3rd year: 2.46 cum, 2.59 BPCM (Started upward trend of 3.7ish GPA from this point on).
4th year: 2.76 cum, 3.08 BPCM
5th year: 2.94 cum, 3.20 BPCM
... Transfer to a UC
1st quarter: 3.00 cum, 3.23 BPCM

I have 8 more quarters left until I apply to med school. If I continue getting around 3.7-3.8 each year, I should have about a 3.35 cumulative, 3.48 BPCM. Obviously your comeback is a lot stronger than mine but it gives me hope that someone can mess up almost as bad as I did and still got med school interviews!

If you remove the 7 F's and 4 C's in BPCM classes, my GPA would be about 3.65 now with a 3.6 BPCM. Those first 2.5 years really hurt me.

This is really good, thanks for sharing your story and encouraging others. Wishing you the best in your future as a physcian.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that's awesome. What was the major factor in going from failing to almost entirelystraight A's? Mainly motivation?

Congrats on your good work, you deserve this !

How did you manage to balance so many courses each semster while getting such good grades??! I'm in the same boat with having to raise my GPA and doing 3 courses each semester for 4 semesters (and getting all A's) is enough to bring my sGPA to a 3.1, but not nearly good enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am seriously impressed. Props to you!
I hope I can start kicking a*s like you have been doing! Now I know it is possible:)
Did you change up study methods? That is a serious improvement, I am really interested in how you managed to accomplish it taking such a heavy course load!