Dont know what to do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waywin22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT scores back and very disappointed at myself.
I scored an 11 I cant even believe what I saw.
Break down was PS 5, VR 2, BS 4
My AAMC average was 30
and AAMC 9,10,11 were around 32.
Idk how to feel right now. I told my parents and my dad was very disappointed. I dont know what to do now. I am retaking but I kind of lost hope in myself. I thought the very worst it would be in the low 20s. I was sick the day before but that had no factor at all, I would believe. Not applying this cycle and retaking classes for D.O school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol there's no way I am believing this.

Considering AAMC average as a 30 and scoring 32 on AAMC 10/11 - you must have had the computer not really click your answers on ALL three sections thus not recording your answers or troll

Considering AAMC average as a 30 and scoring 32 on AAMC 10/11 - you must have had the computer not really click your answers on ALL three sections thus not recording your answers or troll
I'm not trolling I frequently post throughout the threads....

Just got my MCAT scores back and very disappointed at myself.
I scored an 11 I cant even believe what I saw.
Break down was PS 5, VR 2, BS 4
My AAMC average was 30
and AAMC 9,10,11 were around 32.
Idk how to feel right now. I told my parents and my dad was very disappointed. I dont know what to do now. I am retaking but I kind of lost hope in myself. I thought the very worst it would be in the low 20s. I was sick the day before but that had no factor at all, I would believe. Not applying this cycle and retaking classes for D.O school.
Got my scores back today too. 3 on VR. Worse than my diagnostic. Did I screw up and leave a whole passage blank or something? I'm retaking the 18th and going to live, eat, and breath VR until then

Actually the same thing happened to me. It is quite possible.

This might make you feel a little better. My best friend had almost the same thing happen to him last year when he took the MCAT (but he did do pretty well on BS and PS). But he got a 4 on VR. He told me that for the next 2 weeks, he did every passage in the EC verbal book. And he took a lot of time to post phrase. He took it again about 3 weeks later and ended up with a 10 in VR and a 30 overall. Not to say that this is the case for everyone, but this is what worked for him.

He is now a 2nd year student in medical school :)

Actually the same thing happened to me. It is quite possible.
i dont know how i did so bad on verbal. I was averaging 11s. It didn't even seems that hard to comprehend. Im taking the one in november and applying next cycle. Just sucks :/

(Sorry I love Batman)

Attachments

• tumblr_m8gx1hykwA1qcgqmvo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m8gx1hykwA1qcgqmvo1_1280.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 1 user
i dont know how i did so bad on verbal. I was averaging 11s. It didn't even seems that hard to comprehend. Im taking the one in november and applying next cycle. Just sucks :/
Me neither. I am shocked that I did so bad. But the thing is, nothing we can do about it now except to study our asses off until we take it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you feel after the test? Were there any passages you skipped?With such a good aamc average, this seems so unlikely. maybe there was some technical glitch... I would maybe try to call aamc and see if they could go over the video or check for unanswered questions etc.

I still can't believe I got an 11 though. I am going to take the AAMC self assessment this time through, which I should of in the beginning

How did you feel after the test? Were there any passages you skipped?With such a good aamc average, this seems so unlikely. maybe there was some technical glitch... I would maybe try to call aamc and see if they could go over the video or check for unanswered questions etc.
I honestly do not know :/ If it is a scoring error it would be a very rare case they said. I thought PS was okay, Verbal went well, and Bio was doable. I guess I was wrong sigh

I honestly do not know :/ If it is a scoring error it would be a very rare case they said. I thought PS was okay, Verbal went well, and Bio was doable. I guess I was wrong sigh

I'm really sorry this happened to you. With those averages and good aamc 10/11 scores, it seems like you are likely to do well on your retake! Maybe you just got really unlucky. You must have a good knowledge base to have a high aamc average. So don't lose confidence! I would try to do other FL under stressful conditions just to get used to feeling stressed while taking the real thing again...

The VR scale on the real MCAT is definitely far far harsher, in respect to the low one digit numbers, than on the practice exams. Don't let this get you down OP. I have see guys come back from 3's to 10+, I definitely think you are one of those people.

I don't want some stupid troll coming on this thread stating, that "I just need to randomly guess to get a 5 on my AAMC practice exams." I have seen this in the past and it gets me livid. I would tell that troll," just try and randomly guess on such an exam and see what you are saying is true. I dare you."

OP you just got unlucky, just take the test again when you are ready. I think you will surprise yourself.

EDIT: Try and see if you can re-score your exam, it could be a mistake.

The VR scale on the real MCAT is definitely far far harsher, in respect to the low one digit numbers, than on the practice exams. Don't let this get you down OP. I have see guys come back from 3's to 10+, I definitely think you are one of those people.

I don't want some stupid troll coming on this thread stating, that "I just need to randomly guess to get a 5 on my AAMC practice exams." I have seen this in the past and it gets me livid. I would tell that troll," just try and randomly guess on such an exam and see what you are saying is true. I dare you."

OP you just got unlucky, just take the test again when you are ready. I think you will surprise yourself.
Thank you very much. Your words are very encouraging. I am going to start hitting the books again tomorrow. It is hard staying positive but there is nothing I can do but move forward.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. With those averages and good aamc 10/11 scores, it seems like you are likely to do well on your retake! Maybe you just got really unlucky. You must have a good knowledge base to have a high aamc average. So don't lose confidence! I would try to do other FL under stressful conditions just to get used to feeling stressed while taking the real thing again...
I am not sure what other practice test I can use. I have already exhausted all of the aamc practice test. Thank you and I hope I can perform better in november

I am not sure what other practice test I can use. I have already exhausted all of the aamc practice test. Thank you and I hope I can perform better in november

Have you tried GS full lengths, TBR full lengths, AAMC SA, or AAMC official guide?

Have you tried GS full lengths, TBR full lengths, AAMC SA, or AAMC official guide?
No I haven't at all. I am going to purchase the AAMC SA and AAMC official guide. Idk how relevant GS and TBR is to the actual exam but I have taken the first TBR fl and did fairly well as a diagnostic.

No I haven't at all. I am going to purchase the AAMC SA and AAMC official guide. Idk how relevant GS and TBR is to the actual exam but I have taken the first TBR fl and did fairly well as a diagnostic.

Since you are doing to do the November exam, I would suggest doing GS, TBR, or TPR full lengths (I think I liked GS the best, but I have not done TPR). Then save the official guide for last (this has by far the most representative questions on the exam, most similar to AAMC 11). The official guide is not an exam, but has passages in physics, chemistry, organic chem, biology, and verbal. Try to do these timed.

As for the SA, this is a diagnostic tool with a lot of passages. They are usually 2-3 hour subject tests in each area. You can only take them once and so once you submit you can never retake them (like the AAMC tests). However, there is a loop hole. You can download the paper version (pdf) and then click on all the answer choices, then submit. This way you can do the passages at your leisure and see the CBT answer key. However, it is up to you how you choose to do the SAs.

I know I am probably going to get heat for saying this but I don't think the right approach for your retake is just to dissolve your past MCAT experience and simply move forward.

Even the Sn2ed's guide for retakers bears the first and foremost question --- Analyze what went wrong on your past experience.
Now given your CONSISTENT, HIGH PERFORMANCE (AAMC avg of 30 with latter tests being 32), you REALLY have to take time to reflect back on your test day. Seeing how your MCAT score and your average is so discrepant, I would most certainly advise you to have your exam rescored. We live in an era where prompt electronic computation is desired... And computers are known to screw up so I really really think there is something VERY WRONG that went with your scoring for you to receive such a deviated score.

Also, I want to reiterate the fact that there has been a consistently shown strong correlation between your AAMC averages and your MCAT score- You did not expand upon the circumstances how you were doing your practice tests. Were you taking the exams timed? Were you doing the exams at the appropriate time of test day (AM/PM administration)? Did you simulate the breaks between sections? Did you simulate the appropriate sleep needed before practice test? There's so many factors that people ignore which really inflates their scores to a point, but again this is probably unlikely since you suffered a 19 point drop from your averages!

I would give you credit for moving forward however! This is a test and you have to get past it (anyway possible) and if it takes another attempt then so be it. It's a very rational decision, however, again I would emphasize to truly reflect on what went wrong with your MCAT experience and consider rescoring.

Btw, I don't know how long the rescoring process takes but presumably you can sign up for the Nov test and start studying for it while the AAMC rescores your exam.

I know I am probably going to get heat for saying this but I don't think the right approach for your retake is just to dissolve your past MCAT experience and simply move forward.

Even the Sn2ed's guide for retakers bears the first and foremost question --- Analyze what went wrong on your past experience.
Now given your CONSISTENT, HIGH PERFORMANCE (AAMC avg of 30 with latter tests being 32), you REALLY have to take time to reflect back on your test day. Seeing how your MCAT score and your average is so discrepant, I would most certainly advise you to have your exam rescored. We live in an era where prompt electronic computation is desired... And computers are known to screw up so I really really think there is something VERY WRONG that went with your scoring for you to receive such a deviated score.

Also, I want to reiterate the fact that there has been a consistently shown strong correlation between your AAMC averages and your MCAT score- You did not expand upon the circumstances how you were doing your practice tests. Were you taking the exams timed? Were you doing the exams at the appropriate time of test day (AM/PM administration)? Did you simulate the breaks between sections? Did you simulate the appropriate sleep needed before practice test? There's so many factors that people ignore which really inflates their scores to a point, but again this is probably unlikely since you suffered a 19 point drop from your averages!

I would give you credit for moving forward however! This is a test and you have to get past it (anyway possible) and if it takes another attempt then so be it. It's a very rational decision, however, again I would emphasize to truly reflect on what went wrong with your MCAT experience and consider rescoring.

Btw, I don't know how long the rescoring process takes but presumably you can sign up for the Nov test and start studying for it while the AAMC rescores your exam.
Thank you for the feedback. I simulated all of my practice test but my diagnostic one which was aamc 3. I usually take 5 minute breaks between each section and did the same on the real test day. The only factor I can say is I was fighting stomach pain from the day before when I got sick. However, I don't think it should of played a major role in the score.

I'm sorry waywin22. I saw you frequently on the 8/1 and 8/2 MCAT threads and was right there with you over the last 30 days. I think you have a good plan - focus on the AAMC materials, SA, official guide. If you have the $, a class like Kaplan or PR will help you focus your MCAT studies and also make sure your spending appropriate time in all the sections.

As far as tips, I think ear plugs + flash cards really helped me. Making your own flash cards will help you internalize the material better. Going over flash cards daily will make the stuff like second nature, and quick recall will be your friend on test day. I highly suggest you do a structured MCAT prep --- via sn2ed or kaplan or whatever, and also suggest you make flashcards, and of course utilize AAMC materials.

More importantly however, I do have some advice for how to handle this. I have faced dissapointment in my life as you are feeling now. It is important for you to take the appropriate time to accept your loss and grieve for it. Some will hate on this foo-foo emotional wishy-washy talk, but it is absolutely important and appropriate. You experienced a loss today, a huge deficit between expectation and reality. It's like getting fired from a job or a girl/boy breaking up with you -- it sucks.

Take a few days, grieve, have a few good cries, yell at the world, eat ice cream and watch bad movies. Go on a TV binger and watch all 4 seasons of parks and rec or something. Treat yourself and accept your loss.

After that, get back to work on a standardized study plan using a tool like flashcards to make sure you are writing the information in your neural circuits. Good luck and let us know how your progress goes!

Reactions: 1 users
Since you are doing to do the November exam, I would suggest doing GS, TBR, or TPR full lengths (I think I liked GS the best, but I have not done TPR). Then save the official guide for last (this has by far the most representative questions on the exam, most similar to AAMC 11). The official guide is not an exam, but has passages in physics, chemistry, organic chem, biology, and verbal. Try to do these timed.

As for the SA, this is a diagnostic tool with a lot of passages. They are usually 2-3 hour subject tests in each area. You can only take them once and so once you submit you can never retake them (like the AAMC tests). However, there is a loop hole. You can download the paper version (pdf) and then click on all the answer choices, then submit. This way you can do the passages at your leisure and see the CBT answer key. However, it is up to you how you choose to do the SAs.

Where do you get the paper version from? I have wanted to do this but am unsure how to take the SA 1 question at a time and review answers as I go...

Where do you get the paper version from? I have wanted to do this but am unsure how to take the SA 1 question at a time and review answers as I go...

There is an option to the right of the SA package where you can take the test on paper (it is to the right of the CBT option). This will lead you to a page where it asks if you want to download it as a pdf. However, there are no answers on the pdf. (only the passages and questions). It is only when you submit the SA that you receive the answers. So make sure you have the pdf. downloaded first, then click on all the answer choices on the CBT, and lastly submit the CBT. When you finish passages on the paper version, you can check the CBT for the answers. Remember once you submit the CBT, you don't get a second chance to do it again.

If you do this option, you won't have an analysis of your weak points, this is the trade off. I say this only to the people who have exhausted all AAMC resources. If you still have your AAMC full length CBTs, then do SA only as a self assessment. If not, then consider this option.

There is an option to the right of the SA package where you can take the test on paper (it is to the right of the CBT option). This will lead you to a page where it asks if you want to download it as a pdf. However, there are no answers on the pdf. (only the passages and questions). It is only when you submit the SA that you receive the answers. So make sure you have the pdf. downloaded first, then click on all the answer choices on the CBT, and lastly submit the CBT. When you finish passages on the paper version, you can check the CBT for the answers. Remember once you submit the CBT, you don't get a second chance to do it again.

If you do this option, you won't have an analysis of your weak points, this is the trade off. I say this only to the people who have exhausted all AAMC resources. If you still have your AAMC full length CBTs, then do SA only as a self assessment. If not, then consider this option.

Ahh that makes sense, I appreciate the useful help! I was planning on doing this so I could really breakdown each question and learn WHY AAMC selected the specific choice as the correct answer. I really think this test comes down to understanding how AAMC is thinking and getting yourself into a frame of mind that is similar to their thought processes that are utilized when making questions and obviously being familar with content too.