Don't know where to start?

neuromaria9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior right now and I'm planning on going to med school to become a surgeon and I'm itching to start doing something now. I can't explain how much I love medicine and I've been doing volunteer work at hospitals and currently looking someone to shadow at my local hospital. I feel like there's a ticking bomb next to me and I don't know where to start, I just know I want to do it now. I know things take time though. Is anyone else on the same boat and also looking at things that I could be doing right now?

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that you've already given this so much thought! You have plenty of time to get things started, you can't put activities from high school on your medical school application so don't feel like you need to rush into a bunch of activities right now. If you have anxiety about it, however, you can start doing some research about the volunteering/clinical/research opportunities at your future university if you already know where you're going to college. For now, enjoy senior year, finish strong, and have a lot of fun this summer before ***t gets real :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's great that you've already given this so much thought! You have plenty of time to get things started, you can't put activities from high school on your medical school application so don't feel like you need to rush into a bunch of activities right now. If you have anxiety about it, however, you can start doing some research about the volunteering/clinical/research opportunities at your future university if you already know where you're going to college. For now, enjoy senior year, finish strong, and have a lot of fun this summer before ***t gets real :)

Thank you! I feel like I'm screaming because I don't know what to do as of now. But thank you so much for the encouragement! :) Also- love the icon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful not to burn yourself out. Go into college with a concise plan for success - i.e. go to office hrs, tutoring, study groups, etc. Work hard but remember to enjoy the college experience. Remember medicine is a marathon not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 users
Be careful not to burn yourself out. Go into college with a concise plan for success - i.e. go to office hrs, tutoring, study groups, etc. Work hard but remember to enjoy the college experience. Remember medicine is a marathon not a sprint.
Thank you!! :)