Don't Let Carib Admissions Staff Fool You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except LECOM... Can you hear the calling lol?

This is hilarious, and we've tried to explain how terrible the ads are, but they won't listen. They're stuck with an ad agency from the 90s.

That said, prior to actually attending, I never saw a single ad for LECOM, and even then it was because I looked for it online. Apparently they are more common in FL. While in southern CA, I did see a few Western ads on buses/billboards, but if I didn't know COMP, I'd probably not have noticed.

They aren't common though, especially nowhere near as common as SGU, Ross, AUC, Trinity, UMHS, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

This. Most of those schools that have students from other countries almost always list finding training in other countries as "matches". They also conflate placement with "matching", two relatively different things, but I guess coming from abroad all that matters is GME placement.

Yeah, a school I visited that regularly fed students to the Carib had a ton of students that were all applying Carib and had no idea what DO school was, even with one being a couple hours away. Its a little scary that some people don't really appraise their options and make a decision to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and 4 years (at least) of their lives with such little info.

I blame pre-med advisors and just a general lack of familiarity with the degree. I know DOs that knew nothing about DO school until they went to their pre-med committee meeting and was told they should also apply DO. They were like, "what's that? so you're saying I can be a doctor if I go DO? OK, sounds good, I'll apply." At least the pre-med committee gave them good advice, but how common is that...

Windsor is tough. You come out with barely any tuition (I've heard of people finishing with <$45k in loans), but match and placement rates are pretty poor unless you are getting at least 240+, and even then its a toss up.

No one would be willing to spend the money if people could be competitive so cheaply.

I always thought Windsor was an option of last resort.

For those starting now, DO is a much better option for those who can't get into an US MD program.

No one would be willing to spend the money if people could be competitive so cheaply.

For those starting now, DO is a much better option for those who can't get into an US MD program.

That's the thing. Its almost as if you're paying for the schedule and the opportunity to take the USMLE. Beyond that you're not getting much from the school. People know it. I knew a guy from Windsor. He spent a solid 5-6 mos of dedicated study for Step 1 (I saw him studying everyday for months wondering when he was going to take it). He knew he was going to have a rough time if he didn't do well. Not sure what happened to him.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

The above statement goes without saying!

This is hilarious, and we've tried to explain how terrible the ads are, but they won't listen. They're stuck with an ad agency from the 90s.

That said, prior to actually attending, I never saw a single ad for LECOM, and even then it was because I looked for it online. Apparently they are more common in FL. While in southern CA, I did see a few Western ads on buses/billboards, but if I didn't know COMP, I'd probably not have noticed.

They aren't common though, especially nowhere near as common as SGU, Ross, AUC, Trinity, UMHS, etc.

Haha, I hadn't seen that one, is it new? You see what I mean though... 90s. At least no one is pushing on an abdomen to do CPR, but... "It's said that we use less than 15% of our brains..." -Yeah, who says that?

Apparently "it's" did.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you just be a doctor in the carib if you don't get into a US residency?

Can you just be a doctor in the carib if you don't get into a US residency?

No, most if not all Carib governments don't let offshore Carib grads practice in the Caribbean islands. They do this to protect the job prospects of local grads from medical schools like the University of West Indies (UWI). UWI medical school doesn't teach towards passing the USMLE and the goal of the school is to produce doctors for the Caribbean islands, not for the USA.

No, most if not all Carib governments don't let offshore Carib grads practice in the Caribbean islands. They do this to protect the job prospects of local grads from medical schools like the University of West Indies (UWI). UWI medical school doesn't teach towards passing the USMLE and the goal of the school is to produce doctors for the Caribbean islands, not for the USA.

Plus its not really something many people want to do. I do know of people (a couple people) that ended up teaching at Carib schools when they don't find residency in the US though...