Don't risk your license by doing stupid things!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start this thread to warn my fellow pharmacists to be careful when it comes to your licensure. Don't do stupid things. We are held to a much higher standard than the general public. Our license is a privilege, not a right.

Here is an example. This pharmacy student can't get his pharmacist license because he manufactured and sold counterfeit clothes. All of that hard work and tuition gone. And for what? A few hundred dollars?

ImageUploadedBySDN1467678440.747272.jpg

There is a pharmacist who lost his license because he got caught beating his dog. Of course he should be criminally prosecuted but he also lost his livelihood.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This pharmacist lost his license because he viewed his coworkers' private medical information:

ImageUploadedBySDN1467680926.859541.jpg

That's why, although I may be an dingus, I always follow the rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those people got caught, but how many others continue to get away with whatever illegal thing they're doing? It's all about perceived risk vs benefit. My bet is that most people are doing whatever they want.

Stupid...the t-shirt guy should have incorporated, paid someone else to actually DO the illegal part, and absolve himself of liability via shareholder status.

Duh.

The profit margin on counterfeit shirts is what, couple a bucks for cheaply made heat transfers? He could probably make all that picking up extra shifts at work or something.

That's called being extra dumb.

It's like robbing a bank for a roll of quarters.

Stupid...the t-shirt guy should have incorporated, paid someone else to actually DO the illegal part, and absolve himself of liability via shareholder status.

Duh.

The profit margin on counterfeit shirts is what, couple a bucks for cheaply made heat transfers? He could probably make all that picking up extra shifts at work or something.

That's called being extra dumb.

It's like robbing a bank for a roll of quarters.

somebody who is trying to make a couple of extra bucks doing this isn't probably smart enough to set up the incorporation.

I do wonder if he lied about a prior conviction and that is what got him in more trouble vs the actual conviction

Re: the t-shirt guy, the first thing I thought of was someone making stuff to sell in the Fashion District/Santee Alley. They are often small families who sell these counterfeit products, and despite the fact that it was illegal, I wonder if he may have been just trying to help a family operation. I'm not trying to absolve him of the wrongdoing, but it's such a sad story of someone trying to get by while taking steps to create a solid career.

Since this was a denial of application, I'm assuming that the application was recently submitted, and thus his impropriety occurred before completing pharmacy school. Is this correct?

Perhaps he can teach, work for a managed care company, or work in industry where licensing isn't necessary. If he can manage to get a job in those fields with this background...

I'm sure the clothing guy could get licensed in another state if he took the proper steps of disclosure and maybe got some letters of support from professors/coworkers. I wonder how lenient the CA board is on marijuana offenses?

I'm sure the clothing guy could get licensed in another state if he took the proper steps of disclosure and maybe got some letters of support from professors/coworkers. I wonder how lenient the CA board is on marijuana offenses?

Maybe he can but if he is put on probation then that is pretty much a death sentence in this job market.

Maybe he can but if he is put on probation then that is pretty much a death sentence in this job market.

Hey that CPMC HIPAA one you posted, did that file note what CPMC did to the pharmacist? I presume termination, because it wouldn't make sense for them to retain the employee and reporting them to the board at the same time (since they had to disclose to the co-workers/victims the privacy breach).

Hey that CPMC HIPAA one you posted, did that file note what CPMC did to the pharmacist? I presume termination, because it wouldn't make sense for them to retain the employee and reporting them to the board at the same time (since they had to disclose to the co-workers/victims the privacy breach).

I think he got terminated. I would not be surprise if one of his coworkers stitched on him.

He knows his search history is being recorded and tracked. I bet he didn't think anyone would have noticed. Someone did. He can't work again as a pharmacist and for what? Because he got nosy?

I'm guessing that the OP got in trouble for lying on the application more than for the offense itself.

As for the person who viewed PHI - on TWENTY-SIX co-workers? Good grief. Chances are, those records were flagged anyway so that whoever tracks this would have an easier time finding out if there was any inappropriate access.

Back when I worked at my old hospital, a technician had some lab work done and wanted me to access the results and print them off for her. She was more than a bit miffed when I refused to do it; another colleague did do it and I don't think that person got in trouble. However, I wasn't going to take any chances.

^ nope, the t-shirt guy got into trouble because he was found guilty of a crime not because he did not disclose it. People don't think things like this are a big deal but to the federal government it is a big deal. They loss out on taxes when someone manufactured counterfeit things. It is also a big deal to the board of pharmacy. So is not paying child support, not paying your taxes....they will yank your license away. Don't believe me? Read it online.

A pharmacist license is worth at least $3M if you work for 30 years. So just keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking up medical record/patient profile and checking any type of state reporting system for controlled substances is a big big no-no. Apparently looking yourself up can even get you into trouble.

I personally wouldn't give a crap if someone looked at my history but I guess people really get bent out of shape over this kind of stuff.

It's strange how pharmacists who have diverted drugs and got caught are out there working today but these guys have their future destroyed. I'm not necessairly saying that they should have their license, as this is not acceptable, but at the same time there seems to be some inconsistency in the severity of consequences.

Last edited:
^ nope, the t-shirt guy got into trouble because he was found guilty of a crime not because he did not disclose it. People don't think things like this are a big deal but to the federal government it is a big deal. They loss out on taxes when someone manufactured counterfeit things. It is also a big deal to the board of pharmacy. So is not paying child support, not paying your taxes....they will yank your license away. Don't believe me? Read it online.

A pharmacist license is worth at least $3M if you work for 30 years. So just keep that in mind.

Pioneering transplant surgeon Dr. C. Walton Lillehei got his license revoked at the height of his career for income tax evasion. However, he was a sociopath in other ways too; he never got his license back, and made a living from a speaker's bureau, mostly overseas, for the rest of his life.

The state of Illinois takes child support and professional licenses very seriously, and most people would be quite surprised at how many of the people who get in trouble for this are women.

Pioneering transplant surgeon Dr. C. Walton Lillehei got his license revoked at the height of his career for income tax evasion. However, he was a sociopath in other ways too; he never got his license back, and made a living from a speaker's bureau, mostly overseas, for the rest of his life.

The state of Illinois takes child support and professional licenses very seriously, and most people would be quite surprised at how many of the people who get in trouble for this are women.

One of my compliance check points when I hire someone is submitting their name and SSN into a deadbeat/failure to pay child support database (California).

Positive hit = I gotta garnish wages.

So the pharmacy boards care about misdemeanor crimes like selling counterfeit t-shirts? Howcome you hear about doctors and dentists getting away with committing similarly stupid/low-level offenses and they somehow manage to get off the hook? Are the pharmacy boards more strict or something?

Makes me wonder if I'll have issues in the future. I was pulled over and charged with a moving traffic violation ("move-over law"), and in traffic court, the prosecutor said it counted as a misdemeanor. If a misdemeanor charge like selling bogus shirts is a significant-enough offense to be denied licensure, where do they actually draw the line?

So the pharmacy boards care about misdemeanor crimes like selling counterfeit t-shirts? Howcome you hear about doctors and dentists getting away with committing similarly stupid/low-level offenses and they somehow manage to get off the hook? Are the pharmacy boards more strict or something?

Makes me wonder if I'll have issues in the future. I was pulled over and charged with a moving traffic violation ("move-over law"), and in traffic court, the prosecutor said it counted as a misdemeanor. If a misdemeanor charge like selling bogus shirts is a significant-enough offense to be denied licensure, where do they actually draw the line?
It's typically case by case and up to the discretion of the state board. Typically they only care in cases that place your moral judgement in a bad light. Committing fraud, sex crimes, stealing, these sorts of things. Drug diversion is obviously a bad thing in this field, but you are more likely to keep your license if you are an addict diverting for personal use (health issue) versus diverting to sell on the street. I doubt very much if they will care about a moving violation unless you happened to be drunk at the time.

This is the exact wording of question #18 on the California RPh license application (where the two above referenced cases came from):

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or nolo contender/no contest to, any crime, in any state, the United States or its territories, a military court, or any foreign country?

Include any felony or misdemeanor offense, and any infraction involving drugs or alcohol with a fine of $500 or more. You must disclose a conviction even if it was:

(1) later dismissed or expunged pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4 et seq., or an equivalent release from penalties and disabilities provision from a non-California jurisdiction, or

(2) later dismissed or expunged pursuant to Penal Code section 1210 et seq., or an equivalent post-conviction drug treatment diversion dismissal provision from a non-California jurisdiction. Failure to answer truthfully and completely may result in the denial of your application.

NOTE: You may answer “NO” regarding, and need not disclose, any of the following:

(1) criminal matters adjudicated in juvenile court;

(2) criminal charges dismissed or expunged pursuant to Penal Code section 1000.4 or an equivalent deferred entry of judgment provision from a non-California jurisdiction;

(3) convictions more than two years old on the date you submit your application for violations of California Health and Safety Code section 11357, subdivisions (b), (c), (d), or (e), or California Health and Safety Code section 11360, subdivision (b); and

(4) infractions or traffic violations with a fine of less than $500 that do not involve drugs or alcohol.

You may wish to provide the following information in order to assist in the processing of your application: descriptive explanation of the circumstances surrounding the conviction (i.e. dates and location of incident and all circumstances surrounding the incident.) If documents were purged by the arresting agency and/or court, a letter of explanation from these agencies is required. Failure to disclose a disciplinary action or conviction may result in the license being denied or revoked for falsifying the application. Attach additional sheets if necessary.

In your case, I would pull a background check on yourself and see what that misdemeanor looks like. If it's clearly a traffic violation sure, but if it's ambiguous, you might be safer marking "yes" and explaining it.

This is the exact wording of question #18 on the California RPh license application (where the two above referenced cases came from):

In your case, I would pull a background check on yourself and see what that misdemeanor looks like. If it's clearly a traffic violation sure, but if it's ambiguous, you might be safer marking "yes" and explaining it.

Damn, the fine was for more than $500 so I guess I would have to put it down. So what kinds of offenses do they actually revoke (or refuse to issue) licenses for? In the past, I was always under the impression that they only cared about drug/violent offenses, but after reading about the counterfeit clothes thing, it looks like any minor violation at all can prevent someone from getting a license.

Damn, the fine was for more than $500 so I guess I would have to put it down. So what kinds of offenses do they actually revoke (or refuse to issue) licenses for? In the past, I was always under the impression that they only cared about drug/violent offenses, but after reading about the counterfeit clothes thing, it looks like any minor violation at all can prevent someone from getting a license.

Counterfeit clothing isn't exactly a minor offense, it's violation of federal trademark law that is in turn enjoined by no fewer than 9 international treaties on the matter (http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/InternationalTreaties.aspx).

It's also a deportable offense (non-US Citizens) if you're caught with counterfeits at CBP checkpoints with counterfeit products.

I didn't disclose my reckless driving charge on my CA application, and they found it on a background check. I had forgotten the amount of the fine. I had to write a letter explaining why I hadn't disclosed it, get a copy of my license history from the DMV, and provide details on the offense. I got my license. It was just delayed.

There's a little bit more to the Lellehei story, though the sociopath thing is completely correct. If you're Minnesotan, PM me for the other details as it involved Wangensteen Jr. and kind of the way Minnesota works in terms of cover-ups (for a more recent surgeon who did the same thing, look at Najarian).
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2006/02/28/uofmhospital

Yeah, the child support and alimony was the #1 reason for the longest time for why a license was suspended or revoked for missing those payments.

I didn't disclose my reckless driving charge on my CA application, and they found it on a background check. I had forgotten the amount of the fine. I had to write a letter explaining why I hadn't disclosed it, get a copy of my license history from the DMV, and provide details on the offense. I got my license. It was just delayed.

Good to hear that you still ended up getting the license. As far as I know, reckless driving and the move-over law are the only two possible criminal/misdemeanor traffic violations that don't involve running someone the **** over. That's the case in GA, at least (many small towns that depend on speeding ticket revenue to stay incorporated -- lots of 65-to-35-to-55-to-35 kinds of zones, etc.).

Re: the t-shirt guy, the first thing I thought of was someone making stuff to sell in the Fashion District/Santee Alley. They are often small families who sell these counterfeit products, and despite the fact that it was illegal, I wonder if he may have been just trying to help a family operation. I'm not trying to absolve him of the wrongdoing, but it's such a sad story of someone trying to get by while taking steps to create a solid career.

Since this was a denial of application, I'm assuming that the application was recently submitted, and thus his impropriety occurred before completing pharmacy school. Is this correct?

Perhaps he can teach, work for a managed care company, or work in industry where licensing isn't necessary. If he can manage to get a job in those fields with this background...

Am I missing something or can't this pharmD just get licensed in another state? The license check is only for federal, state and local county convictions. This wouldn't even show up on the radar if the pharmacist was trying to get licensed in Maine.

You should have plead guilty to a lesser summary charge instead of a M when entering a plea bargain. If the DA still wants to move forward with the M then take it to court. The reality of charge bargaining is that if you are charged with a M you usually get convicted of a S offense.

Am I missing something or can't this pharmD just get licensed in another state? The license check is only for federal, state and local county convictions. This wouldn't even show up on the radar if the pharmacist was trying to get licensed in Maine.
My reckless driving charge was in Florida. California still found it.

Also, I think every state license application asks if you've lost or been denied a license elsewhere.

I'll have to find it but some stupid California pharmacist got his license revoked for taking pictures of women in the bathroom taking a dump with the plan on mailing them the photo with the caption "get off your lazy ass" on the bottom of it.

There's a little bit more to the Lellehei story, though the sociopath thing is completely correct. If you're Minnesotan, PM me for the other details as it involved Wangensteen Jr. and kind of the way Minnesota works in terms of cover-ups (for a more recent surgeon who did the same thing, look at Najarian).
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2006/02/28/uofmhospital

I read his biography, "King of Hearts". Was the information obtainable from there, or was there more that wasn't covered?

I have also read, there and elsewhere, about how he was such a charming womanizer. I didn't think he was that good-looking, and my guess is that a lot of that "womanizing" was actually sexual harassment and not consensual on any level.

You should have plead guilty to a lesser summary charge instead of a M when entering a plea bargain. If the DA still wants to move forward with the M then take it to court. The reality of charge bargaining is that if you are charged with a M you usually get convicted of a S offense.

Oh well, I guess it's too late at this point. However, the lawyer I hired said that after talking to the prosecutor on the court day (there was a required court appearance), they were planning on hitting me with additional punishments, like 6-12 months of license suspension and community service, so I guess I got off relatively easy.

Got pulled over the other week for speeding. While I was pulled over, the cop decided to look at the car and noticed I had the tinted windows, and the emergency lights installed. Also noticed my hospital ID that had pharmacist on it. Told me that if I ever used those, it would be as if I was impersonating a cop and that I could lose my license for it. I just keep them installed for aesthetics and so people think its a cop car and don't park too close or scratch it or whatever.

Ford-Taurus_Police_Interceptor_mp8_pic_76590.jpg

In these times seems like cop car decals would make your car a target for destruction more so than protecting it. Reminds me of when I see a pro life bumper sticker and immediately get the urge to kick the car or throw my drink on it. Funny how no one puts a Trump bumper stick on their car. Hell, I'm voting for Hillary and wouldn't put a sticker of her anywhere near my car.

Reactions: 2 users
In these times seems like cop car decals would make your car a target for destruction more so than protecting it. Reminds me of when I see a pro life bumper sticker and immediately get the urge to kick the car or throw my drink on it. Funny how no one puts a Trump bumper stick on their car. Hell, I'm voting for Hillary and wouldn't put a sticker of her anywhere near my car.

These days the worst thing you can do right now is voice your opinion, I swear. I remember seeing some viral story on Facebook a couple years ago of a boss needing to fire people because of something Obama "did" - like Obamacare - and the guy went out to the parking lot and fired the people that had Obama bumper stickers because it was their fault this happened in the first place. I'm sure the story was fake as hell, but it still got the message across.

Got pulled over the other week for speeding. While I was pulled over, the cop decided to look at the car and noticed I had the tinted windows, and the emergency lights installed. Also noticed my hospital ID that had pharmacist on it. Told me that if I ever used those, it would be as if I was impersonating a cop and that I could lose my license for it. I just keep them installed for aesthetics and so people think its a cop car and don't park too close or scratch it or whatever.

Dude...

Cool idea. I would make sure the lights arn't hooked up in case you accidentally trigger them.

I get really angry too when someone values human life.

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah he did tell me it could get me killed because there are people out there who want to hurt cops.

Cool idea. I would make sure the lights arn't hooked up in case you accidentally trigger them.

They are hooked up and I've used it before. There were a bunch of teenagers getting drunk (usual teenage stuff) near my house so I just drove by, stopped in front of the group and turned the lights on and watched them scatter. Usually wouldn't care, but teenagers in my neighborhood seem to like to teepee and egg houses even when it's not Halloween.

Yeah he did tell me it could get me killed because there are people out there who want to hurt cops.

They are hooked up and I've used it before. There were a bunch of teenagers getting drunk (usual teenage stuff) near my house so I just drove by, stopped in front of the group and turned the lights on and watched them scatter. Usually wouldn't care, but teenagers in my neighborhood seem to like to teepee and egg houses even when it's not Halloween.
DUDE...

Reactions: 2 users

Dude that is awesome. You are like some vigilante batman in your neighborhood.

Nah, I just hate having to clean up the eggs and stuff off the house.
I live in manhattan and have never had my home egged. What part of NYC are you from so I know never to move there?

Long Island.
Ah. Met up with a girl at Bay shore once. She was friendly. The employees of the white castle on Suffolk ave and Brentwood seemed incredibly uninspired. Very nice public roads. That is the extent of my LI travels so far unfortunately.

Last edited:
I live in manhattan and have never had my home egged. What part of NYC are you from so I know never to move there?

Yeah for some reason teenagers in the city have no interest in egging homes or throwing toilet paper all over the place. I think they're more busy trying to sneak into Halloween parties at the clubs.

long island is part of NYC? :)

you are gonna start a small war with that talk
I make no such claims. I just recall too much about the personal info of the people here, apparently.

Your home is a trailer though.... it's different than egging a house.

Physician ratted out pharmacist:

Esposito, 58, had his medical license revoked in 2013 and had pleaded guilty to conspiring with now-ex-Bottle Hill Pharmacy pharmacist Srinivasa Raju, 44, of Clifton. As a cooperating witness, Esposito testified for the state Attorney General's Office during its trial this spring against Raju, who was convicted in June by a Morris County jury of both conspiracy and distribution of oxycodone to two people -- including an undercover federal agent -- who didn't have valid prescriptions.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/ne...st-doctor-get-probation-drug-crimes/86793858/

You are incredible naive if you think someone will not rat you out especially when that person is in trouble or need something from you.