Don't trust your feelings after the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakers91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I re-took the MCAT January 23rd this year. The first time I took it I really wasn't ready and ended up with a 26R (7/9/10). I was extremely depressed and doubted whether I was smart enough. I graduated in May 2013, so starting in August I pretty much devoted my life to MCAT.

For the second attempt, physical sciences was my best section..or so I thought. My practice scores ranged from a 27-31. The questions on the real thing were ridiculously more difficult and a lot of the questions I just ended up guessing on. I thought I would do terrible but I tried not to dwell on these emotions since I still had verbal and bio. Verbal tripped me up too..my computer ended up freezing and restarting twice during the section so that messed with my momentum.

Bio was the only section where I thought it was consistent with AAMC exams and felt okay about it. I didn't feel good about any of the sections. Verbal I thought I did alright and same with bio, but physical sciences..I had nightmares about it. I thought I bombed it and thought I did around the same the first time around. I even registered for a July seat just because I was fairly certain I bombed the Jan. exam.

My actual score trumped all these fears and doubts: 31 (11/10/10). Don't lose hope, guys! Take it from me, it can be done. I know my score isn't spectacular and probably will bar me from top schools, but that's alright with me. As long as I get into a decent US MD school, I'll be living out my dream.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I re-took the MCAT January 23rd this year. The first time I took it I really wasn't ready and ended up with a 26R (7/9/10). I was extremely depressed and doubted whether I was smart enough. I graduated in May 2013, so starting in August I pretty much devoted my life to MCAT.

For the second attempt, physical sciences was my best section..or so I thought. My practice scores ranged from a 27-31. The questions on the real thing were ridiculously more difficult and a lot of the questions I just ended up guessing on. I thought I would do terrible but I tried not to dwell on these emotions since I still had verbal and bio. Verbal tripped me up too..my computer ended up freezing and restarting twice during the section so that messed with my momentum.

Bio was the only section where I thought it was consistent with AAMC exams and felt okay about it. I didn't feel good about any of the sections. Verbal I thought I did alright and same with bio, but physical sciences..I had nightmares about it. I thought I bombed it and thought I did around the same the first time around. I even registered for a July seat just because I was fairly certain I bombed the Jan. exam.

My actual score trumped all these fears and doubts: 31 (11/10/10). Don't lose hope, guys! Take it from me, it can be done. I know my score isn't spectacular and probably will bar me from top schools, but that's alright with me. As long as I get into a decent US MD school, I'll be living out my dream.

I'm digging the positive attitude man. :)

I really hope this applies to me too. Do you think the curve helped you?
I felt guessed on many PS and some BS questions too, I was scoreing 32ish on tbr cbt, I really really hope I can get at least a 31 too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope this applies to me too. Do you think the curve helped you?
I felt guessed on many PS and some BS questions too, I was scoreing 32ish on tbr cbt, I really really hope I can get at least a 31 too.

You should score around your practice test average, but it's hard to say for sure. I guessed on so many PS questions..there were some that were so hard that I just randomly picked one. I think the AAMC puts those questions on the test to throw you off / make you second guess all the other questions that are fair game. You should do fine! I would say a good rule of thumb is +/- 2 points for your average. My average was a 29.5 I think

Reactions: 1 user