Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering if they have been put on hold with all the snow issues in DC...
The NIH has been closed all week and none of the support staff is in. A lot of people are out of power and the trains and buses aren't running. We've had so much that this will probably be the year with the greatest amount of snowfall in DC history. The earliest it'll open will be Thursday.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
^Me too! :( So sad...oh well I guess it's just not meant to be!

Make that another Cloisters reject here. Did they decide to interview anyone this year, or are they assuming the NIH will be shut down and inaccessable due to snow for a year?

Make that another Cloisters reject here. Did they decide to interview anyone this year, or are they assuming the NIH will be shut down and inaccessable due to snow for a year?

Hahaha, seriously. One of my classmates actually did get an invite so alas...

I got an interview. One can only assume they used the old dartboard and application method. Good luck on the other apps!

Nope, just the week! Believe me when I say that the NIH-CRTP is very serious about recruiting, and it is only because of this storm that they haven't been in contact.

anyone know when the hhmi med fellows decisions will be out?

hey,

anyone heard anything from Penn or Yale DDCF? their interview invites should be happening imminently, if not already sent out... :confused:

thanks!

-qpwoei

Received my Cloister interview yesterday (Feb 10th).

Anyone apply to both Cloister and CRTP and hear from CRTP?

Anyone hear from CRTP yet?

No word on CRTP here.

Received a CRTP interview invite today. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a few PMs regarding NIH-CRTP and interview prep. Here's the advice I gave another poster:

I don't know anything about HHMI interviews - I didn't apply. For NIH-CRTP, generally folks just want to talk to you, figure out what you're about, what your interests are. It's pretty low stress. Just dress professionally, act like a sane person, and know your app so that you can talk about it intelligently during interview day.

Congratulations to those who received an interview. If you decide to come down, I'll be around there somewhere.

Is anyone willing to switch interview dates for the Cloisters program from march 4-5 to march 11-12? I have a final on the 12th but hhmi does not allow re-scheduling unless i know someone who can switch. PM me if u can.

Got the CRTP notification today. Anyone else doing the long March 4-8 interview extravaganza?

anyone else going to interview for the cloisters on march 11-12? (sorry NeuroGirl, i'd switch with you except i have a mandatory preceptorship on the 4th--i hope you find someone to switch with!) i'm really looking forward to meeting cool people there, even if i don't get selected to participate :)

also, i know it has been asked in this and other threads before, but does anyone have personal experiences they would like to share about this particular interview process? besides reviewing work we've done in the past (clearly this is necessary), any recommendations on what to do to prepare?

good luck to all with applications--

also, i know it has been asked in this and other threads before, but does anyone have personal experiences they would like to share about this particular interview process? besides reviewing work we've done in the past (clearly this is necessary), any recommendations on what to do to prepare?

good luck to all with applications--

Not really. Every interview is different. The main things are, as you said, know your past work very well and be able to explain it, have an idea of what you want to do, and have a great idea of why you want to do a year out program and how it will facilitate your career goals.

Hello to everyone. I wonder how to best make use of the HHMI-Cloisters or the CRTP experience.

I don't know if this is a fair analogy, but people frequently say that when a team is approaching a draft the best thing to do is to take the best talent regardless of position need. It seems if the analogy holds then one should go to the most exciting lab opportunity, even if it is studying lung cancer and I want to go into rheumatology later on. Or, if someone knows they want to do rheumatology should they use the year to explore that field and pass on the lung cancer? Does it even matter?

I did a Sarnoff year, but I think this advice applies to anyone doing a dedicated year of research - definitely do your research in your field of interest! There are incredible labs that exist on all subjects, and getting to know the people in your field of interest is extremely helpful during applications/interviews/match.

Hello to everyone. I wonder how to best make use of the HHMI-Cloisters or the CRTP experience.

I don't know if this is a fair analogy, but people frequently say that when a team is approaching a draft the best thing to do is to take the best talent regardless of position need. It seems if the analogy holds then one should go to the most exciting lab opportunity, even if it is studying lung cancer and I want to go into rheumatology later on. Or, if someone knows they want to do rheumatology should they use the year to explore that field and pass on the lung cancer? Does it even matter?

I did a Sarnoff year, but I think this advice applies to anyone doing a dedicated year of research - definitely do your research in your field of interest! There are incredible labs that exist on all subjects, and getting to know the people in your field of interest is extremely helpful during applications/interviews/match.

I 100% agree. Doing research in your chosen field will likely be of more long-term benefit. With the resources at the NIH, you shouldn't have much trouble finding amazing projects in your field of interest.

Last edited:
I would also agree to doing work in your field of interest: it's kinda a no brainier.

However, with that said, if you do not have a set field you want to go into or if you are sort of in between a few and something comes up that is a great project, that is a potential field, or even tangentially related I wouldn't disregard it.

For example, I am currently in a lab working on X. I am not 100% sold on this field, although it is a possibility. However, the lab is great, the people mentoring me have good track records and we are doing meaningful/relatively high impact stuff. So as a future physician-scientist, it is a great way to learn the ropes plus it will be fruitful/yield tangible results. I (hope) that as far as your research, even if you are in a totally different field, people (eg. program directors) will appreciate your quality training and good science. This may even be more true if you are working on something super basic science-y and are being judged by clinical faculty later on (and may not be as astute to the basic science aspect of even their own field).

I would also agree however that you (or I in this case) may miss out on a few things: you really do get to know a lot of people in the field (incl. influential/"powerful"), esp if you are working on something with a smaller niche... I am getting to know a lot of folks in this field, but should I switch and do something else later on, knowing them may not be as useful.

Like I said, I am/was in the same boat, but I have sort of come to this conclusion...anyone else would chime in? I hope I'm not wrong!! :rolleyes:

Good luck to all the current applicants!

Hi, for those of you guys who got CRTP interviews... after you emailed an acceptance to the two ppl in charge, did you receive a confirmation that they got it?

I am starting to get nervous that they didnt get my email because I havent heard back...

Hi, for those of you guys who got CRTP interviews... after you emailed an acceptance to the two ppl in charge, did you receive a confirmation that they got it?

I am starting to get nervous that they didnt get my email because I havent heard back...

I checked with my classmate yesterday night. Neither of us received confirmation or further word yet.

I 100% agree. Doing research in your chosen field will likely be of more long-term benefit. With the resources at the NIH, you shouldn't have much trouble finding amazing projects in your field of interest.
One caveat to that statement: there's no OB service or ED at the NIH. But there are projects in related fields (Projects in HPV via NIAID, cervical CA via NCI, there's a CCU, etc).

I didn't receive a confirmation from CRTP either, but I did get an email today from the company who is making the travel and logistical arrangements for the interview.

One caveat to that statement: there's no OB service or ED at the NIH. But there are projects in related fields (Projects in HPV via NIAID, cervical CA via NCI, there's a CCU, etc).

Yeah, you have to be a bit creative for some fields. I'll add ortho to that list. In terms of OB, there's one of the foremost reproductive endocrinology guys at NIH and plenty of developmental biology labs. There are labs studying shock and MI and other things EM will encounter. So it's there but you may have to dig more.

...There are labs studying shock and MI and other things EM will encounter. So it's there but you may have to dig more.
Oh, I know all about this...

...I'll add ortho to that list...
There's a motion-capture lab here. The guy on my year who who wants to do ortho is working there.

If I wanted a completely easy year, I'd have gone there (for the uninitiated, I was an engineer in one of those labs in a former life).

I completed registration for my Cloisters interview awhile ago. When I completed it, I came under the impression that they (the HHMI Travel Office) wanted to book my ticket themselves and then contact me to "confirm it by Feb 22."

Now, with no phone call, I am thinking that I need to book the ticket myself?

This is such a stupid thing to be confused about, I know. I initially assumed that I would book my ticket, but after registration, thought otherwise. Does anyone know what we're suppose to do?

I completed registration for my Cloisters interview awhile ago. When I completed it, I came under the impression that they (the HHMI Travel Office) wanted to book my ticket themselves and then contact me to "confirm it by Feb 22."

Now, with no phone call, I am thinking that I need to book the ticket myself?

This is such a stupid thing to be confused about, I know. I initially assumed that I would book my ticket, but after registration, thought otherwise. Does anyone know what we're suppose to do?

Sit tight. You'll be contacted by the HHMI travel office by phone or email. They'll send you a sample itinerary by email and ask you to confirm it if it works for you. If you're really concerned, contact Min Lee or the HHMI travel office. You'll get there. Good luck!

MD12, i spoke to someone at the travel office on Friday to find out what was up. She said she would be sending out emails with flight options shortly, but I haven't gotten anything yet. Neither has the other person at my school who is interviewing (as far as I know). I guess they'll tell us soon? :)

While you are waiting for those interviews to roll around, please consider helping me collect more interview experiences for the FAQ. I haven't updated it in awhile, and it'd be good to get some thoughts from those who apply to Sarnoff and CDC.

Also - If you've done a year out - HHMI, CRTP, CDC, ABC, XYZ - then send me a PM about your experiences (click on my name and follow the links). I'll put them up so others may benefit from your greatness.

hey,

anyone heard anything from Penn or Yale DDCF? their interview invites should be happening imminently, if not already sent out... :confused:

thanks!

-qpwoei

I got Penn DDCRF interview notification on 2/12.

I did a DDCRF year last year and absolutely loved my experience. If anyone has questions, please PM me!

Has anyone else heard from DD schools?

got an email from Pitt's DDCF people :D :D , they then contacted one of the professors I mentioned in my list of people I want to work with and received an email from him. Will have a phone interview with him soon. :xf:

-qpwoei

got an email from UT southwestern's DDCF director. He was asking for my contact # so I'm guessing this is a phone interview? pretty stoked! anyone else have insight into UTSW's DDCF interviews?

got an email from UT southwestern's DDCF director. He was asking for my contact # so I'm guessing this is a phone interview? pretty stoked! anyone else have insight into UTSW's DDCF interviews?

Hey there!

Yep, it's a phone interview with the program director, and also in my case, with Dr. Garg. Its basically an informal, 5 minute phone call to find out about how seriously you're considering their DDCRF (that was all we talked about it my case). We did talk about who I'd like to work with if I got the spot. Good luck!

got an email from Pitt's DDCF people :D :D , they then contacted one of the professors I mentioned in my list of people I want to work with and received an email from him. Will have a phone interview with him soon. :xf:

-qpwoei

Congrats! Solid program with solid mentors/research opportunities. Good luck!

If we haven't received a phone call/email from UTSW does that mean its not happening or is it a rolling situation?

I am waiting to hear from HHMI (Medical Student Research Fellowship), and they say it will be by the end of this month...but I am just curious..has anyone heard anything from them yet?

I am waiting to hear from HHMI (Medical Student Research Fellowship), and they say it will be by the end of this month...but I am just curious..has anyone heard anything from them yet?

All updates are sent at the same time. Unless something is wrong with your email, you'll hear (yes/no/waitlist) at the same time as everyone else.

-qpwoei

Good luck on the phone interview!

Hey there!

Yep, it's a phone interview with the program director, and also in my case, with Dr. Garg. Its basically an informal, 5 minute phone call to find out about how seriously you're considering their DDCRF (that was all we talked about it my case). We did talk about who I'd like to work with if I got the spot. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, Udit, I sent a PM to ya, too. I'm pretty excited and looking forward to the interview. By any chance do you happen to know how many people are interviewed for those five spots?

anyone else waiting on phone interviews with UTSW?

Hey again! no idea how many are interviewed but its definitely those near the top of the list, as my interviewer had briefly mentioned. good luck!

Caveat: Don't worry if things aren't exactly on this timeline

I was told that the program would meet next Tuesday to make decisions and they'd make offers to a prelim class by next Friday.

I hope the interviewees all enjoyed themselves and got a chance to talk to the current fellows. But if you had more questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

one week till we hear back about the HHMI-Med Fellows!